Is Tailgate Reinforcement Needed?

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
My point exactly. If Mopar makes a tailgate reinforcement bracket, which, obviously is to accomodate a bigger spare, and this bracket is also, obviously added weight, then all this is pointless if the original spare tire is riiiiiight on the limit to begin with...
At the end of the day, it is still attached to aluminum body panel though, isn't it? Which, while lighter and rust resistant is far more given to metal fatigue.
Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
We put on a Motobilt carrier...it's very similar to the EVO. Fits really well. Wasn't really fond of their brake light/license plate solution, so didn't implement it. Will probably remake the bracket to some other config. For now, the brake light's just zip tied in there.

I went with it over a bumper mount b/c I want to make the rear bumper pretty minimalistic and that negated making something large enough to mount a larger bearing pivot, so it had to go on the body.

That said, coming off a steep ledge or going up a big waterfall will require either tire removal, or being extremely careful with line selection with a body mounted spare. You catch the bottom of that tire and lever it against the body and you're going to wish you'd gone bumper mount.
Good point that I never thought about. I'll have to consider that for Moab this year.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Watch this at around the 1min mark. It might help you decide. Then watch later with reinforcement.
While they're not wrong that the stock gate and tire carrier aren't really designed to confidently carry more weight, this video is somewhat disingenuous. The bumpstops don't reach the tire, which will naturally cause vibration. Whether you buy aftermarket bumpstops or use something as simple as rubber hosing, you always want to make sure the tire is flush against the bumpstops to avoid exactly what is going on here. This is what wears out the gate more than simply adding weight.

You'll notice in the parked shots how they totally avoid showing the bumpstops, especially when they're panning down from the side.

Burt

First Name
Burt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2014 FJ Cruiser (TTUE), 2016 Camry XLE (wife’s)
Occupation
Retired
For security issues I added the Teraflex spare tire mount, after I went to 35” tires, wheel plus tire is 91 lbs. I do go off road several days a week and wanted a little extra insurance.

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
I’m just a weekend warrior, but I’d say having tailgate reinforcement adds peace of mind. My tire wheel combo is pretty heavy, so I decided to go for it.

Sponsored

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
For security issues I added the Teraflex spare tire mount, after I went to 35” tires, wheel plus tire is 91 lbs. I do go off road several days a week and wanted a little extra insurance.
I installed the Teraflex mount last week, I think it's a great upgrade. The instructions claim it supports 100 lbs without reinforcement and I believe it easily. Since the depth is adjustable you can get the spare in very close to the body, keeping the center of gravity near and thus reducing the torque on the tailgate.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hi All. Picking up 38" Pats and hearing they are pretty light. My total wheel weight is 35 lbs and Discount Tire has the Pats at 83 from what I am seeing. I know the set up will fit with OEM steel bumper with my RC relocation but is 118 weight too much for the tailgate?

Thanks.
A million people will tell you that you won’t have any issues and you may not in the short term. But you’re talking about a 130 lbs tire/wheel combo mounted to a tailgate that was only designed to carry 90 lbs max. If you’re mostly street driving on smooth roads you might not have a problem. But if you’re wheelin a lot then you will eventually stress out your tailgate. It’s common sense, the factory set up puts the full weight of the tire/wheel combo on the tailgate alone. That tailgate is a ridiculously light aluminum/magnesium mix and is only attached to the hinges by four 10 mm bolts. People can say you won’t have a problem till the end of time, but it’s common sense that you will eventually have issues.

OP
OP
Cody6597

Cody6597

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
A million people will tell you that you won’t have any issues and you may not in the short term. But you’re talking about a 130 lbs tire/wheel combo mounted to a tailgate that was only designed to carry 90 lbs max. If you’re mostly street driving on smooth roads you might not have a problem. But if you’re wheelin a lot then you will eventually stress out your tailgate. It’s common sense, the factory set up puts the full weight of the tire/wheel combo on the tailgate alone. That tailgate is a ridiculously light aluminum/magnesium mix and is only attached to the hinges by four 10 mm bolts. People can say you won’t have a problem till the end of time, but it’s common sense that you will eventually have issues.
I agree. I guess I was just trying to get off cheap. I went ahead and installed the Roam slimline bumper with tire carrier.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
We put on a Motobilt carrier...it's very similar to the EVO. Fits really well. Wasn't really fond of their brake light/license plate solution, so didn't implement it. Will probably remake the bracket to some other config. For now, the brake light's just zip tied in there.

I went with it over a bumper mount b/c I want to make the rear bumper pretty minimalistic and that negated making something large enough to mount a larger bearing pivot, so it had to go on the body.

That said, coming off a steep ledge or going up a big waterfall will require either tire removal, or being extremely careful with line selection with a body mounted spare. You catch the bottom of that tire and lever it against the body and you're going to wish you'd gone bumper mount.
Already did that on a big drop on Poison Spider LOL.

But like you I'm going minimal bumper. It looks possible to me to just work a receiver tube in directly BETWEEN the framerails, then I'm just gonna do some Rusty's-esque curved flat bar tub protection. Damnit now I want a slip roll...

I'll build a little "skid" under the spare in the receiver to hopefully mitigate future hits to the spare.

maxjlu

First Name
fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jl
I agree. I guess I was just trying to get off cheap. I went ahead and installed the Roam slimline bumper with tire carrier.
Any pics of the tire carrier bumper? How's the install? Really like the design. Great choice!

Sponsored

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
When I first did my 35's with Rhino wheels I was didn't feel the need to get a new setup, the weight just wasn't enough and the Mopar reinforcement is a joke to me. Then when I got my new 27's with beadlocks I was like holy crap I NEED A NEW System!!! I ended up doing the reinforcement when I had the 35's setup and it was honestly over kill. But with my new wheels and tires and an adventure folding table all mounted to the rear gate I am super happy with my combination of the Teraflex Alpha Tire carrier & Rugged Ridge tire carrier setup. The rugged changes the hinges which in my opinion is the only real change that makes a difference, silly Mopar :giggle:. I like the quick detachment of the teraflex for if I actually need the spare you just pull the release and remove the taillight. The setup is so sturdy I can hang from it all day. It is allot of money and the combination was an effort to get around my rhino wheels not having any holes to run the brake light through, but with my new Wheels that have openings I am still glad I put these two kits together! I like not having the brake light in the way when I look back and how the entire spare sits allot higher, clearing the rear bumper and any thing I might hit on the trails, also with the ability to adjust it, I can mount the wheel flush as possible to the back door.

58827750258__5A6A94AE-DD52-4889-B146-6D0421A1074E.JPG

58827750844__0581A5FD-8E92-4BC9-9D77-2F788FC52B23.JPG

58827920882__05060DCA-6C1F-4B5D-B2FD-DDA7BBEF5BC6.JPG

58828994530__D0761C8C-334D-4DD2-A5D2-0A48575714FD.JPG

IMG_6174.jpg

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the Roam slimline rear bumper with tire carrier as well. I have some questions about the tension rod--can I trouble you for some pictures of yours and how you did it? Also, it the opening and closing suppose to be stiff? TIA

John Galt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I plan to stay stock with the 285/70/17 BFG KO2s. I was thinking of mounting 2x2 gallon Rotopax to the spare tire, by my calculation 24 pounds for the fuel + probably 4-5 pounds for the Rotopax setup, wheel/tire combo should be around 73 pounds. Grand total around 100 pounds. The fuel would only be an occasional add on for longer trips, I do no rock crawling, but some bad roads and muddy tracks are certainly planned. What do you think? Is it worth reinforcing the tailgate, and if so with what system? Many thanks for your input.

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I plan to stay stock with the 285/70/17 BFG KO2s. I was thinking of mounting 2x2 gallon Rotopax to the spare tire, by my calculation 24 pounds for the fuel + probably 4-5 pounds for the Rotopax setup, wheel/tire combo should be around 73 pounds. Grand total around 100 pounds. The fuel would only be an occasional add on for longer trips, I do no rock crawling, but some bad roads and muddy tracks are certainly planned. What do you think? Is it worth reinforcing the tailgate, and if so with what system? Many thanks for your input.
I think you should be good without doing any reinforcements, I do not think that is enough to make it flex.

maxjlu

First Name
fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jl
I just installed the Roam slimline rear bumper with tire carrier as well. I have some questions about the tension rod--can I trouble you for some pictures of yours and how you did it? Also, it the opening and closing suppose to be stiff? TIA

This installation video helped me with my tire carrier.
Sponsored