Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Just wondering how many 3.6l engine failures.. noises notwithstanding.

I'm under the impression this is the most bulletproof engine fca/stellantis has ever made.
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Just wondering how many 3.6l engine failures.. noises notwithstanding.

I'm under the impression this is the most bulletproof engine fca/stellantis has ever made.
Here's one:

OP
OP
Rodeoflyer

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
yeah he did a number on that

OP
OP
Rodeoflyer

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is why we own jeeps..

Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
They certainly can happen but if it is defective you will probably notice it under warranty. Most things that happen out of warranty are user induced (not all).
I have been driving 3.6 Pentastars since 2013. No issues.

Cyclrder

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JKU Rubicon, S213E63S, 997.2TTMT

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
Been driving a vehicle with this 3.6 Pentastar since 2012 between our old grand caravan and our 2019 Sahara. These are definitely one of the more reliable motors Chrysler has made. It's a great motor, smooth power band and decent power. Zero complaints!

We had 220k on our van before trading in and no engine issues besides the plastic thermostat housing cracking but easy fix and never left us stranded. That Van was beat on as well as I hated owning a van but I couldn't kill that thing! We had that thing loaded to the roof more times than I could count. Multiple road trips all over BC Canada and Alberta.

Our 19 Sahara has been amazing and spent all summer road tripping through the Canadian rockies loaded with kids and camping gear and many days on the trails in the hot summer heat. I would feel pretty confident picking the 3.6. Always kept our family on the road and never left us stranded. That old grand caravan transmission though was a different story lol.
Jeep Wrangler JL how many 3.6 engine failures IMG_9170

Last edited:

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Depends on who you ask. A lot of people have no issues with them. But a lot of people did encounter issues, particularly the 3.6 that was used in the JKs and most chrysler vehicles between 2011 and 2015 or so. (The JL uses an upgraded version that among other things, changed the style of the lifters, I think?)

https://www.pentastars.com/engines/PUG.php

I've still seen people run into issues, but not many.

I want to say it's too soon to really get a feel for how reliable they are in the JL. The oldest JLs are 4 years old now. (2019s that were made in 2018?). So we're.. getting close. As it stands, you either have people that put like 50k a year on their motor and have high mileage, or people who have like 50k from putting average mileage on them. Neither of those usage patterns are known for causing engine issues.

What you want to see, is how reliable it is after say 8 years and 100k miles. Or maybe people who've managed to rack up 150k miles on a 2018 by now. I suppose that counts.

As far as I can tell, most of the reliability issues on the JL come from the electronics. Stuff like the Rubicon's rear locker sensor failing, or the ESS batteries having issues, or a jump start on a 2018-2019 blowing a fuse and causing issues, or some other electrical issue.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time

I've still seen people run into issues, but not many.
Where, online or in your shop, or? What people, and what issues?

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have a total of 80K between two engines... no issues (other than a failed battery at 30K and 2 years.
I did add this oil check valve system to my Rubicon. Apparently the 3.6 drops oil out of the top of the engine (oil filter) in about 10 minutes or so.. this keeps that from happeining.
Pentastar 3.2L and 3.6L 2014 to present. MS-201-BK Cartridge to Spin-on Adapter - Baxter Performance (baxterperformanceusa.com)
Have a reference for this other than Baxter? The o-ring at the bottom of the oil filter holds the oil inside until it is removed.

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here's one:

Nahhh, that should still run. Only one or three pistons went flying out of the block. The rest are still in there. Glob some silicone and paste up a new oil pan, fill it with oil and Voila!, You've got a permanently deactivated 3 cylinder 3.6 or 1.8 version ;)

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I'm about to hit 90k on mine, and it's running well, but I'm convinced I've got rocker arm bearings going and need to get that taken care of.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
A compete failure of the 3.6 is relatively rare, considering the number of them that are out there.

The two most common things I’ve seen are:
  • The plastic oil filter housing cracking. Easy fix.
  • A rocker failure due to a bad bearing. If caught early, it’s an easy fix. If not, it could lead to needing a new motor. I’ve seen a few posts from members on here that had this issue.
Sponsored