MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I find it interesting that the poll posted last week showed forum members own the 3.6 2:1 compared to the 2.0T. But in this thread the feedback between the two is about even if not in favor of the 2.0T.
I missed that poll, is it still open and if so can you post a link. I think my vote will balance things out a little more.. 😅
Sponsored

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
For me, i wanted an overland rig that i can build to explore the US and still get 20+ MPG and range! (how else would you go on 3000+ mile expedition trips?)

So i had to wait for the diesel to be released.. then waited until 2021 to make sure there were no issues with it.

Jeep Wrangler JL How did you decide on your engine? 1623906580218

Mine is a rubicon with one of the heaviest sliders.. Heaviest, most wind resisting roof rack AND a rooftop tent. Still gets 24.5 MPG! Its really mind blowing..

The 3.6 would get something like 8MPG and would be a mall crawler at best..
The 2.0 would fair a little better than the 3.6..
The diesel is the king!

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I find it interesting that the poll posted last week showed forum members own the 3.6 2:1 compared to the 2.0T. But in this thread the feedback between the two is about even if not in favor of the 2.0T.
I think this serves as a good reminder that a dedicated forum of enthusiasts is not representative of the market in most cases. We all know that MT is one of the lesser purchased options. But looking at this thread it feels like a much larger % of wranglers are sporting a stick shift. That's why every forum "survey" should be taken with a grain of salt.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
What were the driving factors that lead to your engine choice? I've been on the fence between the 3.6 and the 2.0T. I'm leaning towards the 3.6 because of the long track record, smooth power, and the sound, sound is oddly important to me. What I don't like is the reduced fuel economy and lower power compared to the 2.0T. I've owned turbos in the past with terrible curves making the gas pedal feel like a toggle switch.

My JLUR will be on 35's and a daily driver with a very short commute to work and day trips out of town through the mountains about once a month. Next year I would like to try some 3 day overlanding trips here in the PNW. I think part of my hang up with the 2.0T is a turbo seems strange in a wrangler, but that's just me and I would get used to it, it's proven to be a good engine so far. I'm not excited about premium gas though.

For choosing an engine the most important considerations, in order, are reliability, enough power to feel confident in all driving conditions, range, fuel economy, and maintenance cost.
1. Cost: With the 8spd auto, the 3.6 was an additional $1500 or so.
2. Comparison: I test drove both a 3.6 and 2.0 and was favorably impressed with the 2.0 zip.
3. Simplicity: The 3.6 included E-torque. I just wanted to avoid another layer of possible maintenance issues.
4. Found out the 2.0 is an Italian motor, also used in Alfa Romeos and Maseratis. The Italians have a long history of getting great performance from small displacement engines.

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Easy. I wanted a manual transmission. The 3.6L track record for Longevity was just a bonus.

That said: when my Jeep went in for the clutch recall last summer, I got to drive one of the loaner grand cherokees with the 8 Speed. Hands down the best Auto trans I've ever driven. While I'm not actively seeking out another Jeep or an auto trans- I wouldn't mind one if I were getting a Diesel/ 4xe/392

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
There are a few reasons why I bought the 3.6.

1. I had the engine for 5 years with my JKU. I was familiar with the engine and partial to it since my JK never gave me an issue.

2. I like how a V6 drives. A linear and consistent power delivery when I'm on the gas pedal is what I prefer.

3. The 3.6 at the time was cheaper. The 2.0 was a $1000 upcharge with ETorque. I don't see either engine being worth more than the other when brand new. They are similar but different at the same time. If I was buying a 2021, it is very likely I would buy a 2.0. As much as I like the 3.6 it's not worth a $1500 surcharge IMO.

As has been said, there's numerous pros and cons to each engine. While the 2.0 is potentially more prone to being more expensive in the long run, fuel economy kind of negates that and for the average driver a turbo is a more pleasurable driving experience. Others like myself rather Port Injection and the feel of a N/A motor. Again, different strokes for different folks. There's no wrong choice unless you want to put an angry grille on.. ;)

John Galt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I was planing to drive it in developing countries and wanted the 3.6 in the hope it would be easier to fix than the 2.0 if something went wrong. So far nothing has and I am very happy with it. The Wrangler is no race car, but does not seem underpowered to me either.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
At least Unlimited buyers get all of the engine choices. The 2-door Wrangler has become the stepchild. Us 2-door Wrangler buyers do not get the luxury of choosing from the Hemi, Diesel, PHEV. All we get to pick from is the 2.0T ESS or 3.6 eTorque if you order the excellent ZF 8-Speed automatic. Both the 2.0 and 3.6 are solid choices but man it would have been nice to have the other options.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
At least Unlimited buyers get all of the engine choices. The 2-door Wrangler has become the stepchild. Us 2-door Wrangler buyers do not get the luxury of choosing from the Hemi, Diesel, PHEV. All we get to pick from is the 2.0T ESS or 3.6 eTorque if you order the excellent ZF 8-Speed automatic. Both the 2.0 and 3.6 are solid choices but man it would have been nice to have the other options.
FWIW: older model years offered a 2-door 2.0 etorque & 3.6 ESS.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FWIW: older model years offered a 2-door 2.0 etorque & 3.6 ESS.
Yes, that was the case when I bought my '19 JLR. The 2.0 w/ eTorque or 3.6 ESS were the only options briefly. They stopped offering eTorque on the 2.0 at the end of the 2019 run. The 2019 was a very short model year. Then eTorque was only offered on the Limited Ed Recon 2.0 briefly. Then something changed again for 2021. For 2021 you only get to choose between a 2.0 ESS or 3.6 w/ eTorque if you want a 2-door automatic. I suspect that can change anytime due to possible shortages. If we are only so lucky to have a shortage of both ESS and eTorque components! Lol.

I actually like the eTorque start-stop system more than the ESS. It's smoother and the extra torque at start up was nice. In 2.5 years I did not have any issues with the 2.0 or eTorque system. Not sure about newer ESS vehicles but the 2018-2019 ESS systems were problematic. Hopefully there are new updated ESS components and software that address those problems in the newer models.

Last edited:

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
I just love oil burners. My family loves oil burners. The torque and fuel economy are great. I realize initial cost and maintenance is higher but I'm okay with that. I have a diesel 2500 and drove a diesel Passat as well. Wife had always wanted a red Jeep so when the diesel became available and it was time to replace her car, it was a no brainer.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't realize they offered a 2-door Recon. Red seatbelts: here I come!
I am not sure if the Recon was available as a 2-door? I do remember eTorque was reintroduced for the 2.0 on the Recon.

The Recon was available in a 2-door.
Sponsored