Sponsored

Hot Transmission

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Mine actually runs cooler after larger tires. I had issues when it was stock. No issues now. Odd as hell. I had a similar problem in my Ram 2500. Ended up just trading it in as they had no fucking clue why it ran so hot and would not do anything about it. Buddies ran below 200 mine routinely hit 270+.

In your case either find a new dealer, or purposely drive it how it was supposed to be driven until the converter toasts and you get a new transmission (which will happen). It should not overheat and go into limp mode. I would assume though once it reaches 250+ you start experiencing some shift delay/hard shifts? This is what I experienced in my Ram 2500 diesel (not w/ aisin).

I would certainly at least try a different dealer ... easiest variable to eliminate first.
Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer and Chrysler have now said that its hot and reproducible but just to pull over and let it cool down. A guy I jeep with have an exact same 2018 rubicon JL with 37s and his does not get this hot. Maybe its his white hood vs my black hood lol
Have you been able to cook it while in traffic? I assume you can if they can reproduce it. Also telling a customer it's fine and just pull over is bull shit. That's not acceptable, and I would not take the Jeep back until they resolve it without requiring you to pull over and let it cool down. To me this is them admitting they can't fix it -- and I would start lemon law process once/if it meets that criteria.

FWIW I can run mine off road in 4H for like 4 hours straight w/o issue, in sand/mixed terrain with basically no additional air flow.

OP
OP

thrasher

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4 door
Have you been able to cook it while in traffic? I assume you can if they can reproduce it. Also telling a customer it's fine and just pull over is bull shit. That's not acceptable, and I would not take the Jeep back until they resolve it without requiring you to pull over and let it cool down. To me this is them admitting they can't fix it -- and I would start lemon law process once/if it meets that criteria.

FWIW I can run mine off road in 4H for like 4 hours straight w/o issue, in sand/mixed terrain with basically no additional air flow.
Unfortunately this didnt present itself in time for lemon law to apply in Georgia. I can reproduce it getting hot in traffic or simply running 4hrs on cruise control at 70mph. Both of those only get it to about 250 though. Putting it in 4H or 4L can get it toasty very quick and pulling over on the side of a trail really isnt an option :)

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately this didnt present itself in time for lemon law to apply in Georgia. I can reproduce it getting hot in traffic or simply running 4hrs on cruise control at 70mph. Both of those only get it to about 250 though. Putting it in 4H or 4L can get it toasty very quick and pulling over on the side of a trail really isnt an option :)
Unfortunate that it doesn't meet lemon law time frame.

That's tough if you can't get it to climb higher on regular surfaces. Though one interesting point -- you said it's still getting up to 250 even if it's at 70 mph the entire time (and thus not shifting) ? For my truck it was shifting that would consistently heat it up. Couldn't get it to happen on freeway.

Have you tried to just let it climb off road without letting it cool off and seeing what happens? Apologies if you mentioned that.

Tough too since GA is pretty flat. Otherwise I'd suggest getting it to 250 then finding some steep long grades to go climb.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP

thrasher

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

damn. thats a shame. i have never seen an auto trans over 215. typically 220 means booooooom

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Recently my Jeep has unfortunately spent more time in the shop than it has on the road it started with two trips to fix leaking oil and has recently ended with the transmission overheating and a check engine light. Picking it up this last time I was informed that the transmission getting to 250+ degrees was working within standards and no need to concern and to just pull over if it gets too hot. Problem is last offroading trip I had to pull over three times because it would climb above 250 and continue to climb without cooling itself. 45min later after watching the temp get back to normal we could continue. The dealership is refusing to fix anything as "nothing is broken" although they were able to reproduce it getting too hot and will not look at it again until I boil it so much it goes into limp mode
1. Anyone else having issue with being in 4wd offroading and the transmission refusing to stay cool
2. Any advice for how to deal with the dealership as pulling over while offroading or on the interstate isnt really a solution
Michael, I’m sorry to hear you are having these issues.

I too feel that there is something wrong with your Jeep, unfortunately. I am in southwest Florida; you are in Georgia. We are both wheeling this summer in tropical conditions. My tranny is less than 210 when wheeling in 96 degree heat with 70% humidity. My Jeep is black, with the hotter-running 2.0T. Then again, I only engage 4-low only when absolutely necessary.

What conditions and terrain are you wheeling in? That could be the difference.

OP
OP

thrasher

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Michael, I’m sorry to hear you are having these issues.

I too feel that there is something wrong with your Jeep, unfortunately. I am in southwest Florida; you are in Georgia. We are both wheeling this summer in tropical conditions. My tranny is less than 210 when wheeling in 96 degree heat with 70% humidity. My Jeep is black, with the hotter-running 2.0T. Then again, I only engage 4-low only when absolutely necessary.

What conditions and terrain are you wheeling in? That could be the difference.

Generally around North Georgia in the mountains where humidity and heat can be in the 90s. I have done several things like never going in 4L unless its absolutely needed and am fortunate enough to have friends with the exact same jeep with me so I can compare theirs vs mine. Our last trip we would go about 45min before it was pull over, pop the hood, let the fan run, and wait 30min for the temp to drop back down to an acceptable 230

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Generally around North Georgia in the mountains where humidity and heat can be in the 90s. I have done several things like never going in 4L unless its absolutely needed and am fortunate enough to have friends with the exact same jeep with me so I can compare theirs vs mine. Our last trip we would go about 45min before it was pull over, pop the hood, let the fan run, and wait 30min for the temp to drop back down to an acceptable 230
You need to get this fixed, go to the general manager if necessary. The answer they gave you is totally unacceptable. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets greased. Go squeak loudly.

Forget the lemon law bullshit, you just want it fixed..

Good luck.

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Been looking into auto tranny temps lately since I am towing a small trailer. I recently drove about 15 miles steady uphill grade with out side temps at 58. My tranny guage read 219 at the end of the grade. Just passed it going down hill it immediately went down to about 208.

I run 37s with 4.88 gears.

I thought this was kind of high so I started looking around on the google machine. Not much info on this new tranny but here's what I THINK I now know.

Jeeps version of the ZF has more oil, also more friction plates, it also takes special fluid. It's normal operating range is 175 to 212. The external cooler is bypassed until it hits 194 degrees so it likes to run hotter than a conventional auto.

The literature mentions extreme temps are at 248 and when it hits that it merely adjust shift points. It made no mention of throwing codes or where that level is at.

Jeep really should post up info on this. It appears this is a whole new type of tranny compared to what we are used to so info is needed so we dont worry about stuff.

OP
OP

thrasher

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep really should post up info on this. It appears this is a whole new type of tranny compared to what we are used to so info is needed so we dont worry about stuff.
thanks for digging in, this is really good info

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
If I were in your shoes with the dealer refusing to acknowledge a problem I would drive it until it wouldn’t move any farther, forget about stopping to let it cool down.

OP
OP

thrasher

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I were in your shoes with the dealer refusing to acknowledge a problem I would drive it until it wouldn’t move any farther, forget about stopping to let it cool down.
well....its not under warranty any longer so that would likely be a fight :). At the end of the day its still a jeep and we will just consider this a "feature". While wheeling i get to stop and smell the roses, watch the birds chirp, trees sway in the wind, smoke come from the hood jk

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Been looking into auto tranny temps lately since I am towing a small trailer. I recently drove about 15 miles steady uphill grade with out side temps at 58. My tranny guage read 219 at the end of the grade. Just passed it going down hill it immediately went down to about 208.

I run 37s with 4.88 gears.

I thought this was kind of high so I started looking around on the google machine. Not much info on this new tranny but here's what I THINK I now know.

Jeeps version of the ZF has more oil, also more friction plates, it also takes special fluid. It's normal operating range is 175 to 212. The external cooler is bypassed until it hits 194 degrees so it likes to run hotter than a conventional auto.

The literature mentions extreme temps are at 248 and when it hits that it merely adjust shift points. It made no mention of throwing codes or where that level is at.

For the almost 3 years and 70k miles we have had my wife's Jeep and I have monitored temps of oil, tranny and coolant and the numbers you are seeing are normal. We have done 3 cross country trips, wheeled in the hot summer temps of UT and at the high elevations of Ouray. Just cruising along the highway it will hang in the high 190s to 200ish. Climbing hills or hard wheeling it will hit the 210 - 215 mark, maybe even more and then come back down. Interesting to note all temps ran COOLER in Moab at 95 degree ambient temps vs. 50 degree ambient temps in Ouray at 10k feet. I've had a pan drop and fluid/filter change done at around 64k miles and everything looked good. So what you are seeing is what I have seen for many miles with no problems.
Sponsored