JL transmission issues

Melhoobs

First Name
Melanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler.
I have a 2020 jeep wrangler JL with 13800 miles on it and I noticed the transmission was slipping. Brought it to the dealer for an oil change and asked them to take it for a ride. It took three times of me bring it to the dealer for them to agree it has a transmission slip issue. Bottom line my jeep has been at the dealership for six weeks waiting for a new transmission to come in. Anyone have this issue?
Having the exact
Issue. Almost the same mileage.
they Said minimum of a month. Could be as many as 6. Needs a whole new trans.
how Are you handling the rental??
Sponsored

OP
OP

Stevens2606

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL
My first complaint of the dealer was kind of a hard jolt when shifting out of park. It Seemed odd to me. I continued to drive it and noticed every once in a while a funny feel when it went from 3rd to 4th. I had to bring it to the dealer three times before they finally felt the slip themselves Ma. Lemon law is one year 15,000 miles. I got the dealer to give me a loaner Dodge Ram it was not easy, dealerships are so short these days. I also asked if I could continue to drive it while I wait for the transmission and They said I would have to give the loaner back. They could not guarantee I can get another loaner. At this point am glad I don’t have to pay a rental.

Squonk

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2020 Sport
I have a 2020 jeep wrangler JL with 13800 miles on it and I noticed the transmission was slipping. Brought it to the dealer for an oil change and asked them to take it for a ride. It took three times of me bring it to the dealer for them to agree it has a transmission slip issue. Bottom line my jeep has been at the dealership for six weeks waiting for a new transmission to come in. Anyone have this issue?
I have a 2020 Wrangler Sport with all the same transmission problems you just mentioned. Approximately 14000 miles on it. At dealer now. Went in this past Friday. Service deportment heard my complaints, took one look and immediately contacted Chrysler to order new transmission. They admitted it will be "weeks", unfortunately. MA resident, also. At least they are being up front with me.

Heather73

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1c4hjxdn7mw829746
I have a 2020 Wrangler Sport with all the same transmission problems you just mentioned. Approximately 14000 miles on it. At dealer now. Went in this past Friday. Service deportment heard my complaints, took one look and immediately contacted Chrysler to order new transmission. They admitted it will be "weeks", unfortunately. MA resident, also. At least they are being up front with me.

Sponsored

Heather73

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1c4hjxdn7mw829746
Don’t even know where to begin. Custom built 2021 wrangler sport 2.0. Nine months in at approx 13,500 miles, engine light, shaking, and noticeable deceleration. Took it in for diagnosis along with oil change. Told nothing could be found and code was cleared. I said I wasn’t comfortable that it was looked at and then released so quickly since I was driving to a distant wedding next day. Again told not to worry. Following day while running errands, engine light, shaking, losing power, deceleration, AND red warning about overheating. Now, I live deep in the woods and was very nervous about the length of ride I still had to go before reaching home. Managed to get it to my driveway. Cut to me hysterical with dealership that they should have fixed it while it was in their garage to begin with and this wedding I had to get to. Jeep was towed and the salesperson drove loaner to me. Then without my Jeep for 7 weeks. Initially told mice might have done something and then told it actually was the engine about coolant/pump issue and needed full new replacement! What?! Argued with everyone at dealer, that I did not pay for a new Jeep only to already have full engine replaced. I was told by owner if I wanted to trade out for same exact model, I would need to pay difference due to price increases. More of him saying they only sell them and don’t manufacture. Fast forward TWO MONTHS with me picking Jeep up after 7 weeks in shop with “ new engine”, even asking 2x for spec sheet or serial number so I could ensure a reset warranty. Driving home at night, (again, I live near woods so no street lamps and few homes) and engine light comes on, loss of power and won’t accelerate. Luckily, about 10 minutes from home so I am able to drive about 15-20mph and reach driveway. Shuts off and it will not turn back on. Try again first thing in morning. Turns on once, but then shuts off. Seriously lost it. Called salesperson, customer service, and owner and noone got back to me for several hours. Now of course, this same day I was going to my daughter’s huge bday party! Had enough and called Jeep Wave. Had towed again. Dealer reached out and said to get a ride to them for ANOTHER loaner. Ready for the banger?! After grabbing the loaner, I was informed in the next couple of days from Jeep Wave that engine was never actually replaced as diagnosed as needed and that instead SEVERAL replacement parts were installed. AND now the additional issue was I needed a new transmission!! So as of this moment, this is the mess I’m dealing with.

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
Even if someone else had the same issue it probably wouldn’t be the same exact thing most likely. If you’re reaching to see if this is a mass deal it’s not. The amount of people on this forum is probably not even near 2% of the worlds JL/JLU population. So when you do see multiple people posting about this or that type problems in a group fashion it’s really very minimal as a whole across the Jeep community.

And in regards to the 6 weeks wait time, that’s actually about right for this day and age unfortunately, parts wise and wait times for repairs in general.
Hopefully your Jeep gets back to you soon enough and you get back to driving happily again.

Squonk

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2020 Sport

Squonk

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2020 Sport
Just got jeep back today. 3 1/2 weeks. Replaced transmission and transfer case. All under warranty. Shifting is where it should be. Glad to have it back.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I’m not sure what you’re trying to get at. I’m just adding details here.
I'm going to spitball here. People that are posting here have never had an automatic trans apart or even taken classes on how to diagnose, and rebuild one. Most just watch videos and are experts.

Sponsored

Sarathzzz

First Name
Sarath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl
I am facing something similar to this
3rd and 4th gears are hard shifting when slowing down so the transmission was replaced on the 3rd month of the purchase and still facing the issue
Even the dealer has no idea what to do

dont know what else will be the cause

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I'm going to spitball here. People that are posting here have never had an automatic trans apart or even taken classes on how to diagnose, and rebuild one. Most just watch videos and are experts.
I don’t know of anyone who rebuilds ZF8’s. It’s just not worth it.

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
The big question here is what does Jeep do wrong in their implementation to make this transmission perform so poorly on starts and stops when we all know the ZF series is good, the question is what are they doing wrong from the factory because so many Jeeps have reported this issue. Do they have a special version with a poor solenoid implementation? Are they not topping off the Transmission fluid, are they not tuning the system to work properly, this should be a simple fix given we all know ZF transmissions are used in many high end vehicles including Maserati's and BMW's, why is this an ongoing issue just with Jeeps??? JEEP, WTF? If you're going to charge in a Luxury SUV category then refine your vehicle a little bit stop with all the software glitches, button issues, transmission and steering issues, enough is enough! The Jeep community deserves better, talk all you want about off-road capabilities (which I use bigtime) start refining this thing a little bit more.

DeeCee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
We have a 2020 with 30k miles and the same motor and auto transmission as yours. Transmission was shifting hard and sometimes it won’t go into gear. Check engine light also came on. Dealership initially said it was throwing a gear ratio fault code? Said they fixed it, but the drive home proved that wrong. Took it back to the dealership immediately and they replaced the valve body inside the trans. That also didn’t work. Dealership has ordered a new transmission that will take 45 days to get here, Jeep has been in the shop for 11 days already and the dealer also doesn’t have enough inventory to provide a loaner while we wait on parts.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
We have a 2020 with 30k miles and the same motor and auto transmission as yours. Transmission was shifting hard and sometimes it won’t go into gear. Check engine light also came on. Dealership initially said it was throwing a gear ratio fault code? Said they fixed it, but the drive home proved that wrong. Took it back to the dealership immediately and they replaced the valve body inside the trans. That also didn’t work. Dealership has ordered a new transmission that will take 45 days to get here, Jeep has been in the shop for 11 days already and the dealer also doesn’t have enough inventory to provide a loaner while we wait on parts.
Gear ratio fault codes are always a bad transmission.
Sponsored