Sponsored

JL Manual Transmission Questions

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
I love the M/T on my JT.
You will however need three to four hundred miles to get used to it.
The clutch biting point is too early which is further compounded by the Pentastar's low torque in low RPM. Expect to stall it on traffic stops a couple of times as you get used to it. It took me a week to to drive it like a pro and rebuild my muscle memory.
THIS! But I would even suggest about 2K-3K miles is the sweet spot. It really smoothes out, and obviously your muscle memory has improved by then too. Coming from a MT TJ, it took me a bit.
Sponsored

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
Yeah, not a fan of dials, eyeballing either a JLR or JLUR and also like the idea of 4.88's as eventually 35's might be in order.

Thanks all again,
Jim
I have a '21 JLUR with 6MT and 35s. I am very pleasantly surprised how well the 4.10s handle the 35s. With as tall as 6th gear is I was worried that with 35s it would only be usable cruising at 75-80+ on the interstate. It actually maintains speed very well on local county roads at 60 even with a moderate incline. In all gears below 6th I really don't notice a huge difference between the stock 33s and my new 35s. About the only thing I notice is when accelerating to highway speeds I am in third and fourth a little longer than with the 33s.

Considering how well my JLUR performs with stock 4.10s and 35s I wouldn't bother with 35s with 4.88s. With 4.88s I'd go straight to 37s. When my 35s wear out I will probably go to 37s and re-gear to 4.88s.

The transmission itself is very nice and smooth. It is a massive improvement over the 6MT in the JK. Consecutive gears seem like they are about half as far apart when shifting. The clutch takes a bit to get used to, but this has been my experience with every manual I've ever owned. They are all a little different and take a bit to get used to.

My only complaint is it seems like everything is one slot to the right of where it should be. Reverse should be one slot further to the left. 1st should be where reverse is, 3rd should be where first is, etc... It is by no means uncomfortable, but it just seems like you're reaching for the stick a little and it should be closer to the driver.

I love that the moved reverse from the lower right (JK) to the upper left with a guard to prevent going into reverse will moving. The JK had nothing blocking reverse so if you weren't paying attention you could go to reverse when you wanted 6th. It wouldn't go into reverse of course, but it would grind.

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
I just moved from my '20 Rubi diesel with auto to a '21 Willys 2dr with manual. I LOVED that auto and as others have stated, had a problem with learning the new clutch (feels totally different than the '13 JK manual we had). but after a few days I've become proficient with it and enjoy shifting again. Actually the new manual trans is much better than the old one, but the 3.54 gears leave much to be desired. It makes the Jeep basically a 4 speed with 2 overdrive gears.

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I may of missed it in reading this tread, you also have a weight advantage with 6-speed over the auto. Less equals more.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Jim, et., al.,

I know this a manual transmission thread and MT driver's would never consider anything other than learning, tweaking, complaining and just plain dealing with everything that goes along with it. Clutch feel, gear placement, a boatload of recalls and TSB's (too many to mention). I too had been in that mindset. But, thankfully due to a twist of fate my JL driving horizons have expanded dramatically.

A 16 year old driver a couple years back, while on his phone pulled out into traffic and I was (un)fortunately in the wrong place at the wrong time. If I hadn't swerved I would have likely T-Boned him at 40 miles per hour. Instead, he hit me in the side quarter and everybody walked away unhurt. It turns out that we both got rather lucky. He survived and learned a valuable life lesson (do not text and drive) and I got a new 2019 JL Sport S.

Because I needed to replace my daily driver in a hurry, I found a really sweet deal on a JL on a dealership lot. However, it was an auto. I know, I know sacrilegious to purchase anything other than a manual.

But boy howdy what a very pleasant surprise. The ZF-based 8 speed rocks! It's like having the best of both worlds, an auto and manual simultaneously without any of the left foot calisthenics. With the AutoStick feature (this is totally misnomered, it should be called ManualStick), I have since found true driving joy.

I can select any gear I want and the ZF8 just puts it there within a couple hundred milliseconds. No clutching, selecting, de-clutching or stalling. All that is a thing of the past. I can upshift/downshift or downright select any damn gear I want (at anytime). No complaints or complications, just magic.

Plus, I can now be as lazy as I care to be, especially in stop and crawl traffic or on any mountain road in my home state of Colorado. I can truly concentrate more on the views rather than constantly shifting. Kind of like a flyer using autopilot. I can explicitly shift whenever I want (or not).

Whenever frequently wheeling in 4Lo, I'm never in Drive. Manuvering over difficult terrain or severe obstacles, I've yet to stall (ever). If I do choose poorly, some gear way outside any given RPM, the transmission won't let me hurt it. It aggressively tries to honor my selection but will ensure I don't break anything. It's way cool.

So for any of you on the transmission or clutch worry fence, be open-minded and don't just continue to be stubborn. The FCA engineers have done a very superb job at calibrating the powertrain on at least this 3.6L. The shift points when in full auto are smooth and unnoticeable. Really. It's just incredible. Blows my socks off with how impressive it is.

My driving options (and horizons) have truly expanded exponentially. Thank you dumb 16 year old on your phone when you shouldn't have been. Because of you, my driving joy has increased immeasurably. This JL has been my best daily driver by far (bar none) ever. And I really did (and still do) like rolling through all the gears.

Yes, all eight of them.

Jay

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jmos4

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
Hi all,

Thanks for the insights again, the A8 is a awesome transmission from everyone I've heard here and the Challenger forums, but still rather have 3 pedals, my Challenger is a stick as well...and unfortunately manual transmission are becoming a thing of the past, as the next generation of the Jeep may not offer one.

That said Monday I ordered a 22 JLUR stick, 4.88's, more out of my budget, but only doing it once so to speak now the fun waiting game...

I use to be part of a Jeep club back in the 90's with of all things a Toyota pickup, as this 22 will be my first Jeep, back with the Toyota stock they had 4.10's and for 33's 4.88's were the ticket, so hoping it won't be too much gear until I upgrade to 35's in the future.

Again thanks for all the knowledge, seems like a good group on this forum.

Regards,
Jim

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Jim, et., al.,

I know this a manual transmission thread and MT driver's would never consider anything other than learning, tweaking, complaining and just plain dealing with everything that goes along with it. Clutch feel, gear placement, a boatload of recalls and TSB's (too many to mention). I too had been in that mindset. But, thankfully due to a twist of fate my JL driving horizons have expanded dramatically.

A 16 year old driver a couple years back, while on his phone pulled out into traffic and I was (un)fortunately in the wrong place at the wrong time. If I hadn't swerved I would have likely T-Boned him at 40 miles per hour. Instead, he hit me in the side quarter and everybody walked away unhurt. It turns out that we both got rather lucky. He survived and learned a valuable life lesson (do not text and drive) and I got a new 2019 JL Sport S.

Because I needed to replace my daily driver in a hurry, I found a really sweet deal on a JL on a dealership lot. However, it was an auto. I know, I know sacrilegious to purchase anything other than a manual.

But boy howdy what a very pleasant surprise. The ZF-based 8 speed rocks! It's like having the best of both worlds, an auto and manual simultaneously without any of the left foot calisthenics. With the AutoStick feature (this is totally misnomered, it should be called ManualStick), I have since found true driving joy.

I can select any gear I want and the ZF8 just puts it there within a couple hundred milliseconds. No clutching, selecting, de-clutching or stalling. All that is a thing of the past. I can upshift/downshift or downright select any damn gear I want (at anytime). No complaints or complications, just magic.

Plus, I can now be as lazy as I care to be, especially in stop and crawl traffic or on any mountain road in my home state of Colorado. I can truly concentrate more on the views rather than constantly shifting. Kind of like a flyer using autopilot. I can explicitly shift whenever I want (or not).

Whenever frequently wheeling in 4Lo, I'm never in Drive. Manuvering over difficult terrain or severe obstacles, I've yet to stall (ever). If I do choose poorly, some gear way outside any given RPM, the transmission won't let me hurt it. It aggressively tries to honor my selection but will ensure I don't break anything. It's way cool.

So for any of you on the transmission or clutch worry fence, be open-minded and don't just continue to be stubborn. The FCA engineers have done a very superb job at calibrating the powertrain on at least this 3.6L. The shift points when in full auto are smooth and unnoticeable. Really. It's just incredible. Blows my socks off with how impressive it is.

My driving options (and horizons) have truly expanded exponentially. Thank you dumb 16 year old on your phone when you shouldn't have been. Because of you, my driving joy has increased immeasurably. This JL has been my best daily driver by far (bar none) ever. And I really did (and still do) like rolling through all the gears.

Yes, all eight of them.

Jay
It is an undeniable fact that the automatic in JL and JT is marvelous. And it is it even better for the 3.0L Ecodiesel. And I will be happy with either M/T or A/T in the Jeep - depending on personal preferences for either.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I test drove the MT Tacoma TRD Pro the other day. While the gear shifting was very smooth and the clutch had a good feel, I was constantly having my shoe getting stuck by the clutch pedal. The room by the pedal I guess is too tight and I wear a size 10 shoe which is an average shoe size. Was it just me or did someone else have the same experience?

toothirtyj

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Hellayella JL Willys, 3.6L/6MT, 4.10's
Occupation
LE
To choose a manual transmission Wrangler you have to be a car guy/woman at heart. There's no other explanation. You want the connection to your vehicle. You want to give the constant attention to the third pedal. You want the feel of the shifter in your hands. You want to master the clutch, not fear it, and you will with time. If you seek a fun ride with a manual transmission, then you will find happiness in the JL.

Yes the 8 speed auto is better. Yes the full time/auto 4WD is convenient and less driver dependent. However, Wrangler still, for the time being, offers the experience of full control of your JL. If you appreciate that then you better get it while you can!

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

Thanks for the insights again, the A8 is a awesome transmission from everyone I've heard here and the Challenger forums, but still rather have 3 pedals, my Challenger is a stick as well...and unfortunately manual transmission are becoming a thing of the past, as the next generation of the Jeep may not offer one.

That said Monday I ordered a 22 JLUR stick, 4.88's, more out of my budget, but only doing it once so to speak now the fun waiting game...

I use to be part of a Jeep club back in the 90's with of all things a Toyota pickup, as this 22 will be my first Jeep, back with the Toyota stock they had 4.10's and for 33's 4.88's were the ticket, so hoping it won't be too much gear until I upgrade to 35's in the future.

Again thanks for all the knowledge, seems like a good group on this forum.

Regards,
Jim
You won't be sorry Jim. Welcome aboard.
Sponsored