JL transmission issues

Stevens2606

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL
I have a 2020 jeep wrangler JL with 13800 miles on it and I noticed the transmission was slipping. Brought it to the dealer for an oil change and asked them to take it for a ride. It took three times of me bring it to the dealer for them to agree it has a transmission slip issue. Bottom line my jeep has been at the dealership for six weeks waiting for a new transmission to come in. Anyone have this issue?
Sponsored

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
You might get more useful responses if you specified the engine/transmission in your Jeep.

In general. current supply chain issues might explain the delay.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I have a 2020 jeep wrangler JL with 13800 miles on it and I noticed the transmission was slipping. Brought it to the dealer for an oil change and asked them to take it for a ride. It took three times of me bring it to the dealer for them to agree it has a transmission slip issue. Bottom line my jeep has been at the dealership for six weeks waiting for a new transmission to come in. Anyone have this issue?
Yes, mine does. I gave it some winter walkers and now the issue is resolved, no more slipping. Can't wait for summer!

OP
OP

Stevens2606

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL
2.0 liter turbo with a six speed automatic transmission.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
2.0 liter turbo with a six speed automatic transmission.
If you have automatic, it's the 8 speed ZF. I'm a little surprised they ordered a new transmission rather than diagnosing the issue. It's possible the tranny fluid got contaminated with something but I feel that's very unlikely. If the gears were defective, which is exceedingly rare, slipping would occur well before 13,000 miles. I would bet your issue had to do with the Torque Converter or solenoid.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
If you have automatic, it's the 8 speed ZF. I'm a little surprised they ordered a new transmission rather than diagnosing the issue. It's possible the tranny fluid got contaminated with something but I feel that's very unlikely. If the gears were defective, which is exceedingly rare, slipping would occur well before 13,000 miles. I would bet your issue had to do with the Torque Converter or solenoid.
Gears don’t slip, clutches do. Dealerships do not do internal transmission work, beyond the valve body. Pretty straightforward diagnosis as far as they’re concerned, confirm a valve body replacement will not fix it, then replace transmission.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
No where did I say gears slip. Bad gears would result in tranny slipping to the driver.
“if the gears were defective slipping would occur well before 13,000 miles”

When a transmission is “slipping”, the clutches that engage the gear sets are what slips. Torque converter clutch is normally the first to go, but with any low mileage failure, it’s obviously a defective build one way or another. The last thing you want is for a dealership “tech” to try to fix that.

Sponsored

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
Question. How did you know the transmission was slipping? Does it upshift and rev really high? Seriously. I want to know. I have a 2019 JLUR and hearing everyone's issues makes me a bit paranoid that I am not experiencing any of the issues like fuses, wandering, dead spots in steering, bad welds, etc. Heck, I installed the ACE sliders without breaking a body bolt and ordered a steel steering box when I eventually experience the steering issues that everyone is experiencing. Maybe I'm just lucky, probably not. LOL. I think I'm oblivious and need to pay more attention to every noise my Jeep makes.

Last edited:

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
If you're from MA, one more week and you can do the "Lemon Law"!! Seems like you've waited long enough!

Go Jeep!!!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Why don’t you drive it until the transmission shows up or blows up?
Sponsored