Sponsored

Diesel manual transmission / JL

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Does Chrysler Fiat have a manual they could use for the Eco diesel? If they have one for another vehicle that can handle the torque there is a better chance we could see one in the JL if the diesel sells well. Maybe a 2020 release.
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Does Chrysler Fiat have a manual they could use for the Eco diesel? If they have one for another vehicle that can handle the torque there is a better chance we could see one in the JL if the diesel sells well. Maybe a 2020 release.
There just isn't enough of a demand for manuals to warrant the production costs in pairing them. The Tremec units they have in the Challenger and Chargers would've worked just fine, but they obviously went with a different transmission that, at the end of the day, is probably just easier to deal with and less expensive to supply being paired with just one engine.

I would have loved a manual diesel, but I totally understand why it's not offered.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Given the heightened scrutiny of diesel engines after the VW scandal, and Fiat's own (perceived) transgression, I'm honestly surprised they're bothering. It's not as though everyone who wants a diesel Wrangler is going to buy something different instead.

(Sure, some will, but for most it's the "Wrangler" part of the equation with the most appeal, not the "diesel", especially since Cummins is happy to sell you an aftermarket engine.)

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Putting the Tremec 6060 in there can handle the torque, but would net you a low 3.xx 1st gear , so what you make up for in the diesel torque you lose in gear ratios where even a 4.10 axle leaves you at a serious disadvantage.

For the limited market, it makes more sense to move in a capable auto they can scavange from elsewhere easily and exploit what benefits there are from the diesel.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Grape Ape,

I sadly agree with you. The amount of time and money it cost to get that configuration approved most likely does not make financial sense. I guess we can always hope. I'll most likely just end up with the 3.6 so I can get the manual.

th9791

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI-PD, VW Beetle 5-Speed Manual
I emailed Jeep asking about a Diesel with a Manual Transmission. Below is the Response I received.

"Jeep Product Information
US Customer Care <[email protected]>

Hello,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding our Jeep Wrangler specifications. We very much appreciate your enthusiasm and interest in Jeep.

We continually strive to meet the needs of all of our customers and looking for ways to further enhance or build upon our Jeep vehicle lineup.

I understand your interest in seeing the 3.0L EcoDiesel Engine paired with a Manual Transmission made available from factory on the Jeep Wrangler vehicle lineup. Presently, the current market demands and consumer interest in this factory configuration do not support factory production of this nature.

While we cannot speculate regarding future product planning due to ongoing market changes and demands, your comments concerning the availability of the 3.0L EcoDiesel Engine on the Jeep Wrangler lineup have been documented. Comments like yours are always welcomed and important way of obtaining feedback and helps providing the greatest possible satisfaction for customers.

Please feel free to sign up for updates on the Jeep brand by visiting https://www.jeep.com/sufu.html -or, staying in touch with your local Jeep Dealer.
By signing up, you will receive a quarterly eNewsletter with updates and information as it becomes available on new vehicles, special offers, upcoming events, and more.

Thank you again for your time and interest.

Sincerely,

Jeep Information Center
O|||||||O
Footer

“Our goal is to provide you with the most capable vehicle you’ve ever driven – one that exceeds your expectations of quality, comfort, capability and ease of operation.”"

I believe what Jeep is saying is that there is not enough interest or demand for a Manual Transmission Jeep Diesel at this Time. More people need to WRITE In to Jeep asking for a Jeep Diesel with a Manual Transmission Option. This would hopefully change Jeeps view on the Market trends. And produce a Jeep Diesel with a Manual Transmission from the Factory.
Sponsored