Diesel manual transmission / JL

Boatman123

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Do we know whether the diesel will be paired with a manual transmission? Also - will the diesel be JLU only?

Had my heart set on a JL diesel manual...but that feels like a unicorn at this point.
Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Do we know whether the diesel will be paired with a manual transmission? Also - will the diesel be JLU only?

Had my heart set on a JL diesel manual...but that feels like a unicorn at this point.
Anything is possible, but as of now, all the leaks indicate auto only for the diesel and also, JLU only as well.

flyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 370z, 2005 Dodge 2500 CTD, 2014 Impreza, 2008 Escape, 2003 Pathfinder
Not sure if this accurate, but it gives me some hope.

Transmissions: Gasoline-powered JL Wranglers with the 3.6-liter V-6 will come with a standard six-speed manual or an optional eight-speed FCA-built automatic. Those with the 2.0-liter inline-four will be available only with the eight-speed automatic, according to the dealer ordering guide. Diesel-powered versions in the U.S. will be paired with the six-speed manual or a more robust eight-speed automatic built in Germany by ZF Friedrichshafen. A new five-position transfer case will allow a full-time all-wheel-drive option, and new paddle shifters on the steering wheel will permit quick shifts with the automatic transmission.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/fresh-new-wrangler-details#ixzz4yLlzf58c

"[URL='http://www.autonews.com/article/20171105/OEM03/171109890/everything-we-know-about-the-next-gen-wrangler']Everything we know about the next-gen Wrangler
" originally appeared in Automotive News on 11/5/2017

[/URL]

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Diesel-powered versions in the U.S. will be paired with the six-speed manual or a more robust eight-speed automatic built in Germany by ZF Friedrichshafen.
giphy-downsized.gif

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Not gonna happen.

If the 2.0 isnā€™t getting it, then the EcoDiesel definitely isnā€™t getting it, needs separate auto for the dieselā€™s 555NM+ without a tune, 6spdā€™s not gonna happen.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
Not sure if this accurate, but it gives me some hope.

Transmissions: Gasoline-powered JL Wranglers with the 3.6-liter V-6 will come with a standard six-speed manual or an optional eight-speed FCA-built automatic. Those with the 2.0-liter inline-four will be available only with the eight-speed automatic, according to the dealer ordering guide. Diesel-powered versions in the U.S. will be paired with the six-speed manual or a more robust eight-speed automatic built in Germany by ZF Friedrichshafen. A new five-position transfer case will allow a full-time all-wheel-drive option, and new paddle shifters on the steering wheel will permit quick shifts with the automatic transmission.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/fresh-new-wrangler-details#ixzz4yLlzf58c

"
Everything we know about the next-gen Wrangler" originally appeared in Automotive News on 11/5/2017
http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/fresh-new-wrangler-details#ixzz4yLlzf58c
Excellent find. I wish it said, will be paired with the six-speed manual AND a more robust 8-speed automatic, not ā€œorā€. As Iā€™ve previously stated thatā€™s my preference, 6 speed manual, diesel, 2 door as well. We can only wait and hope for the best.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Think about ALL of the light duty 4x4s with diesel engines that have been sold over the last 15 years. Jeep Liberty CRD, Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD, Chevy Colorado, Ram EcoDiesel, etc. etc. NONE of them were ever offered with a manual transmission. It takes a ton of work just to get a diesel engine certified for sale in the U.S. thanks to our strict EPA rules. A manual transmission makes that job even harder.

Heck, even some gasoline cars are equipped with "skip shift" features on their manual transmissions to aid in getting where they want to be with emissions testing. Manual transmissions are frowned upon by automakers and the government these days. Actually, they have been for over 20 years.

Bottom line: If the JL EcoDiesel is paired with a 6-speed manual, I'll be shocked.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
Think about ALL of the light duty 4x4s with diesel engines that have been sold over the last 15 years. Jeep Liberty CRD, Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD, Chevy Colorado, Ram EcoDiesel, etc. etc. NONE of them were ever offered with a manual transmission. It takes a ton of work just to get a diesel engine certified for sale in the U.S. thanks to our strict EPA rules. A manual transmission makes that job even harder.

Heck, even some gasoline cars are equipped with "skip shift" features on their manual transmissions to aid in getting where they want to be with emissions testing. Manual transmissions are frowned upon by automakers and the government these days. Actually, they have been for over 20 years.

Bottom line: If the JL EcoDiesel is paired with a 6-speed manual, I'll be shocked.
It takes much more skill to drive a manual, everybody knows that; thatā€™s the fun part. Then thereā€™s excessive shifting in stop and go traffic. The majority of the population donā€™t want/buy manuals anymore. The dealer doesnā€™t make a profit on vehicles sitting on their lots depreciating. No sales no factory production.

I canā€™t see myself getting into any vehicle shifting into D and stepping on the gas. I need the driving experience offered with a manual. Hopefully they will continue to manufacture manual transmission cars in my lifespan.

The majority of the population arenā€™t driving enthusiasts, they donā€™t drive for fun; they only want to get to their destination. Self-driving cars, when fully implemented, will be very successful.

CantThinkOfAHandle

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 RAV4, 2015 BMW Diesel Sports Wagon
I believe there are problems with the clutches in manual transmissions, when mated with diesels, due to the diesel's higher torque.

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I believe there are problems with the clutches in manual transmissions, when mated with diesels, due to the diesel's higher torque.
Literally *Billions* of miles traveled by long haul truckers would indicate otherwise. Now - if you are saying that the clutches chosen for use in Jeep Wranglers might not mate well with a vastly increased amount of torque that's a different story. I believe the reason for the auto-only has a lot more to do with emissions management than it does with not being able to find/fit a clutch that can handle the torque.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Plenty of 1000+ hp vehicles out there with manual transmission so finding a clutch to hold isn't the issue. I'm sure Jeep looked into the 7 speed manual used in C7 Corvettes, wonder why it wasn't used?

Muddog

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Ion
HELLO ALL!
Im looking to purchase my first Jeep Wrangler (Sahara) and I had a few questions.

I plan on having this Jeep for the next 10-15+ years and intend on it to be the family trip car as well as my personal car. I live in Chicago so I so plenty for city driving but we love you get out into the to a scale. We love to take road trips and plan to travel and possibly tow a trailer and/or bass boat.

How much more expensive do you think the diesel model will be, and do you think it is worth it the extra cost?

Thank you for your replyā€™s I wouldnā€™t really appreciate appreciate your opinions.

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
Plenty of 1000+ hp vehicles out there with manual transmission so finding a clutch to hold isn't the issue. I'm sure Jeep looked into the 7 speed manual used in C7 Corvettes, wonder why it wasn't used?
Corvettes don't come in 4 wheel drive. ;)

theonerunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I'm still looking around to see if any base price numbers have been listed at all for the new JLs? Right now the diesel is a $4300 option in the Ram 1500.
Sponsored