Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Problem is nobody stops to look anymore, they just figure they have the right away. Yesterday some lady on a bike just went right through the cross street without even looking as a cement truck , who had the right away, was coming for a delivery. This is all DiBlasio's fault, He's a complete moron!!
If more than 20% of the city voted, we wouldn't have this Communist halfa-f@g running things into the ground

Someone called in a bomb threat at the YMCA he works out at in Brooklyn and the Shmuck still goes there while everyone else is evacuated.

At the very least, hes term limited and everyone knows he's only running for president to fill his coffers, which is a bust right now.
Sponsored

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
Did you a solid.
You sure did, THANK YOU. Very valuable information for everyone, I really appreciate you taking the time to do it. It's a big help. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

OP
OP

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
All right I wanted to circle back to this and thank everyone that gave feed back.

I since drove the two door and a gladiator with a manual. Gladiator just didn't make sense to me since I could pretty well go up to a 2018 2500 cummins manual or a new power wagon for the same or less price.

The JL just didn't impress me enough to go for it. Plus lots of things on my jk won't move over to a jl.

Dealer replaced the nsg, but I have no faith it will last.

As I was evaluating my options including splurging and just having a hemi 6 speed conversion done I stumbled on this.

https://shiftsst.com/4wd

Could be a complete gamble that fails miserably or could make my jk perfect.

For those who didn't look, silver sport is offering a kit for jk that require no cutting no relocation nothing but direct swap. It's a tremec TR-4050 that was used in Mexico in the ram 450.

It's first gear is 6.16:1 and reverse is something like 6.06:1 it's overdrive is higher at .73:1.

It's also rated for 425ftlb input meaning it's ready for a hemi conversion with a different bell housing down the road.

Bit pricey but no more than value lost in trade in on a jl plus I do half the hemi conversion and get to keep all my already purchased accessories.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
All right I wanted to circle back to this and thank everyone that gave feed back.

I since drove the two door and a gladiator with a manual. Gladiator just didn't make sense to me since I could pretty well go up to a 2018 2500 cummins manual or a new power wagon for the same or less price.

The JL just didn't impress me enough to go for it. Plus lots of things on my jk won't move over to a jl.

Dealer replaced the nsg, but I have no faith it will last.

As I was evaluating my options including splurging and just having a hemi 6 speed conversion done I stumbled on this.

https://shiftsst.com/4wd

Could be a complete gamble that fails miserably or could make my jk perfect.

For those who didn't look, silver sport is offering a kit for jk that require no cutting no relocation nothing but direct swap. It's a tremec TR-4050 that was used in Mexico in the ram 450.

It's first gear is 6.16:1 and reverse is something like 6.06:1 it's overdrive is higher at .73:1.

It's also rated for 425ftlb input meaning it's ready for a hemi conversion with a different bell housing down the road.

Bit pricey but no more than value lost in trade in on a jl plus I do half the hemi conversion and get to keep all my already purchased accessories.
I did not read this whole thread but what did you not like about the JL 6 speed? I feel 5.13 low is plenty low enough. Especially matched with 5.13 gears.

Also, what failed in your nsg and how many miles?

Sponsored

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Have 18k on mine. I love it, but it is definitely the strangest clutch I’ve ever driven. So incredibly soft and it’s really hard to find the catch point consistently.

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Have 18k on mine. I love it, but it is definitely the strangest clutch I’ve ever driven. So incredibly soft and it’s really hard to find the catch point consistently.
agreed. to be honest, I haven’t driven manual in almost 13 years, and I grew up driving tractors and pickup trucks.

I’ve had mine for almost a month and I’m just starting to find the true engagement point. It’s a super soft clutch.

to compensate, I’ve been giving it a little too much throttle, (which is much preferable to stalling out at a light) but I feel like I’m starting to find the sweet spot.

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
also, a brief comment on gears and rpms, etc.

I don’t feel any lag or pulling down to 1500 rpm.
(Stock JLU Sport S)

as far as figuring out what gears to use for best economy, I just set the center top instrument cluster to instant economy (for those of you that didn’t realize, you can customize each part of the center read out).

go out and experiment and see what your actually getting in real time.

at the end of the day, I’ve found you should drive it the way it feels comfortable to you. As many have pointed out, if we were all that worried about fuel economy, we wouldn’t be driving a giant hot wheels box of a vehicle anyway.

personally I want it both ways so I’ve spent some time figuring out the best economy at different speeds.

happy driving, everyone.

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A

Overall, I really like the 6-Speed Manual.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
also, a brief comment on gears and rpms, etc.

I don’t feel any lag or pulling down to 1500 rpm.
(Stock JLU Sport S)

as far as figuring out what gears to use for best economy, I just set the center top instrument cluster to instant economy (for those of you that didn’t realize, you can customize each part of the center read out).

go out and experiment and see what your actually getting in real time.

at the end of the day, I’ve found you should drive it the way it feels comfortable to you. As many have pointed out, if we were all that worried about fuel economy, we wouldn’t be driving a giant hot wheels box of a vehicle anyway.

personally I want it both ways so I’ve spent some time figuring out the best economy at different speeds.

happy driving, everyone.
I use that too. I have found that my intuition was totally wrong and now I understand better why.

But running at higher gears and lower RPMs is not what gives you better fuel economy. It is staying in the power band. Which supports the idea that you should shift a little higher in the RPM range.

Sponsored

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
I use that too. I have found that my intuition was totally wrong and now I understand better why.

But running at higher gears and lower RPMs is not what gives you better fuel economy. It is staying in the power band. Which supports the idea that you should shift a little higher in the RPM range.
I have found I spend most of my time between 2K and 4K rpm.

Allagash27

First Name
Jacques
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I agree. I've been driving a manual for over 30 years, and I find it hard to consistently engage smoothly, especially if I'm trying to accelerate quickly.

But probably what I was most disappointed with was the ratios. First and second are OK, then there's a huge gap between 2nd and 3rd. Have to rev it way up in 2nd so it doesn't bog down in 3rd if I'm trying to go fast or going uphill. Then 5th and 6th are basically redundant. At 60 mph there's only about a 200 RPM difference between the two. I live a long way from the nearest interstate so it might as well be a 5 speed for me-I rarely go more than 60. I wish they had made 3rd, 4th, and 5th all lower so the ratios were closer. It seems like they selected the higher gear ratios for fuel economy but gave it a 1st and 2nd that are low enough for a Jeep. My 2003 Liberty 5 speed had the same big gap between 2nd and 3rd.

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
I agree. I've been driving a manual for over 30 years, and I find it hard to consistently engage smoothly, especially if I'm trying to accelerate quickly.

But probably what I was most disappointed with was the ratios. First and second are OK, then there's a huge gap between 2nd and 3rd. Have to rev it way up in 2nd so it doesn't bog down in 3rd if I'm trying to go fast or going uphill. Then 5th and 6th are basically redundant. At 60 mph there's only about a 200 RPM difference between the two. I live a long way from the nearest interstate so it might as well be a 5 speed for me-I rarely go more than 60. I wish they had made 3rd, 4th, and 5th all lower so the ratios were closer. It seems like they selected the higher gear ratios for fuel economy but gave it a 1st and 2nd that are low enough for a Jeep. My 2003 Liberty 5 speed had the same big gap between 2nd and 3rd.
I took mine in for the recall and the clutch is much improved now. But some forum members have posted that this is temporary. You should check out the recall thread.

As for the gearing, I’m not a fan of first, but I find 2nd and 3rd work really well. What RPM are you shifting into third? My guess is that you may be shifting too soon, which is exactly what I was doing for a while too.

I have found through trial and error, and reading this forum that this engine likes to be revved.

Allagash27

First Name
Jacques
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I took mine in for the recall and the clutch is much improved now. But some forum members have posted that this is temporary. You should check out the recall thread.

As for the gearing, I’m not a fan of first, but I find 2nd and 3rd work really well. What RPM are you shifting into third? My guess is that you may be shifting too soon, which is exactly what I was doing for a while too.

I have found through trial and error, and reading this forum that this engine likes to be revved.

I had the recall done-it just needed the clip and sleeve, no work done to the clutch itself. I didn't notice any difference in the feel. The clutch isn't that bad, just soft and a little vague feeling. Not what I'm used to in a truck or Jeep. I had an F-150, and F-350, and a Liberty all with manuals.

I shift into 2nd around 10-15 MPH and if I'm not climbing or in a hurry I shift in to 3rd around 30 MPH, but if I need more oomph I have to keep it in 2nd until 40 MPH or more. That's 4000 RPM in 2nd just to bring it up to 2100 in 3rd. You're absolutely right about this engine liking to rev. It has OK low end torque so I can cruise along at 1500-2000 RPM and get good mileage if I'm not accelerating, but you need to bring it above 3500 RPM to really get the power output. So if I redline it in 2nd I'm a little below that when I shift into 3rd. Most manual cars and trucks I've driven are more even on the shift points, like 10/20/30/40 or 15/30/45/60. This is more like 15/40/50/60.

And 6th? It serves no function it's so close in ratio to 5th. My F-350 had a 6-speed with a granny gear Low and 5 regular gears--I'd rather have that than this useless extra overdrive gear.

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
I had the recall done-it just needed the clip and sleeve, no work done to the clutch itself. I didn't notice any difference in the feel. The clutch isn't that bad, just soft and a little vague feeling. Not what I'm used to in a truck or Jeep. I had an F-150, and F-350, and a Liberty all with manuals.

I shift into 2nd around 10-15 MPH and if I'm not climbing or in a hurry I shift in to 3rd around 30 MPH, but if I need more oomph I have to keep it in 2nd until 40 MPH or more. That's 4000 RPM in 2nd just to bring it up to 2100 in 3rd. You're absolutely right about this engine liking to rev. It has OK low end torque so I can cruise along at 1500-2000 RPM and get good mileage if I'm not accelerating, but you need to bring it above 3500 RPM to really get the power output. So if I redline it in 2nd I'm a little below that when I shift into 3rd. Most manual cars and trucks I've driven are more even on the shift points, like 10/20/30/40 or 15/30/45/60. This is more like 15/40/50/60.

And 6th? It serves no function it's so close in ratio to 5th. My F-350 had a 6-speed with a granny gear Low and 5 regular gears--I'd rather have that than this useless extra overdrive gear.
I use 6th, but only on the freeway above 70mph. If your running 79mph + it helps with the economy. So yeah, not for everybody. But I do get some use out of it.
Sponsored