Sponsored

Honest Feedback Requested 6 Speed Manul

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
That's easy...a Hemi.
I love my JLUR 3.6 6 speed, but it really needs a truck motor, not a minivan motor.
The 3.6 delivers (rather anemic) peak torque at a whopping 4400 rpm....and almost none of it below 2k rpm, which is where everyones problem lies. not ideal for an off roader.
So, fitting a Hemi would be the simple answer...but the v8 is too long.
Fiat needs to develop a more suitable v6 .... one like the old GMC 351. Peak torque developed at 1600rpm. ran out of wind at 4500rpm, but who cares? It isnt a race car.
I wonder how much average fuel economy requirements have to do with the engine choice.
Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Transmission really makes or breaks the experience imo

Driven Boxsters and other fast cars with auto and I've driven various cars with sticks and hands down, I'd take the manual

Reading all this just makes me wish the Retrograde would end already
I think manual is much better selection for those who enjoy driving manual regardless how fast or slow it is. I like the extra control of the vehicle with the stick and that's why I enjoy driving a manual Jeep.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
I think manual is much better selection for those who enjoy driving manual regardless how fast or slow it is. I like the extra control of the vehicle with the stick and that's why I enjoy driving a manual Jeep.
Exactly. I'm willing to deal with NYC traffic with a manual, drove my built Audi in all 5 boroughs and when it was completely stock, my dad and I took it to NH twice (6+hr trip)

Besides, you're already a badass to drive through Manhattan, you become a Manly Badass Hero with manual xD

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I have had my manual Rubicon for 10 days now and almost have 2,000 miles on it. Drove almost 1,200 miles from the dealer to home over 2 days. The manual was awesome for climbing passes compared to the usual hunting and sudden downshifts I am used to in autos. I really enjoy the fact that I am more attentive in a similar vein to riding a motorcycle. There is no temptation to text and drive and it is an overall richer experience. I agree that it doesn’t like to be hurried in first gear on the road, but I can’t wait to see how well it crawls in 4-Lo. I test drove the auto with both the V6 and I4 and I am so happy I went with the manual.

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes. a 5.7 is too long. the engine bay is already cramped with the little v6. i am sure the longer motor would affect crash worthiness unless they redesigned the Jeep and lengthened the hood.
also, how many guys would opt for the hemi? i know i would. that would mess up their corporate fuel efficiency ratings for the epa bean counters.

Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Exactly. I'm willing to deal with NYC traffic with a manual, drove my built Audi in all 5 boroughs and when it was completely stock, my dad and I took it to NH twice (6+hr trip)

Besides, you're already a badass to drive through Manhattan, you become a Manly Badass Hero with manual xD
I drive in Manhattan too, and even in these conditions I don’t mind the stick, regardless of all of the vehicular/bicycle/pedestrian traffic, construction, and emergency vehicles.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I drive in Manhattan too, and even in these conditions I don’t mind the stick, regardless of all of the vehicular/bicycle/pedestrian traffic, construction, and emergency vehicles.
Next mayor better get rid of the bike lanes

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Sport S with 33s. When I first got it my instinct was to row the gears and always try to get to 4th in town, 5th on the highway, 6th over about 65. That will not work with this Jeep. 1st and 2nd are short but 3rd is tall. Keep it in 3rd around town and you have plenty of power. I don't hit 4th until I am over 50 and fifth unless I am on the highway (over 65). 6th is for downhill over 70 (not kidding). I also have learned to wind out the RPMs more. I shift around 2,800-3,000 and higher if I really want to accelerate. It really does not mind winding out to 4,000 - 4,500 RPMs.
If you re-gear the axles to 4.10, with 33's you'll find 6th gear to be useful. With 35's, I run it on flat ground over 60mph. With the original 33's, it could handle mild rolling hills at 60. With my current setup, with 35's (really 34.5's) it can handle mild rolling hills at 70 or up. I think 4.10's would transform it for you, but that's just my 2 cents.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
If you re-gear the axles to 4.10, with 33's you'll find 6th gear to be useful. With 35's, I run it on flat ground over 60mph. With the original 33's, it could handle mild rolling hills at 60. With my current setup, with 35's (really 34.5's) it can handle mild rolling hills at 70 or up. I think 4.10's would transform it for you, but that's just my 2 cents.
That’s why i always mention that i have a Sport on the manual threads. People don’t seem to distinguish but the different gearing does make a difference.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes. a 5.7 is too long. the engine bay is already cramped with the little v6. i am sure the longer motor would affect crash worthiness unless they redesigned the Jeep and lengthened the hood.
also, how many guys would opt for the hemi? i know i would. that would mess up their corporate fuel efficiency ratings for the epa bean counters.
Fuck the EPA and CAFE

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s why i always mention that i have a Sport on the manual threads. People don’t seem to distinguish but the different gearing does make a difference.
It does, I already know I'm willing to try out 4.10 on the Rubi

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
Okay all,

I'm looking for honest feedback from our 6 speed manual club now that some have had them for nearly 2 years. I have a 2017 JK 2 Door with the POS NSG370 with all of 22k miles on it. I have lost my patience with this thing grinding shifting into second, chipping into 3rd, bucking when shifted into reverse if not shifted into 4th first. I have a line on a 2018 JL with the new 6 speed for a reasonable price.

Has anyone had any issues with the new one? Grinding, not wanting to shift into gear, chipping as opposed to grinding, cable issues, clutch issues?

I don't want to turn this into a rant on the NSG370 but for God sake, I have driven manuals my whole driving life and this is the biggest POS I have ever shifted. My Dakota, Ram, Grain Truck, Tractors, Cars, YJ, all of them shift light years better than this pile of Garbarge.

I am taking in my JK this week again to have them look at it. If they don't replace the trans I am probably going to get rid of it and Id like to know if the new Aisin is really that much better.

Bonus points for those that have owned both the NSG370 and New Aisin.
In my opinion, the JL gearbox is a big improvement over the JK, but it is not perfect.

Pros: The lever, and shifts, are shorter with more precision and less play. It looks cool with the textures and metals. It feels good in the hand. The finger lift to open the reverse gate is great - much better than accidentally falling into the reverse gate between 5th&6th on the JK. It does not wobble and flop around wildly as you drive down the road the way the long JK lever and sloppy shifter did on the JK.

Cons: Now that I have a few miles on the Jeep, shifting has gotten a bit notchier and more difficult unless the clutch is all the way to the floor (people have talked about how the clutch uptake changes once the clutch is broken in). The gearbox makes more mechanical noises from under the car than the old one when the doors and roof are off. Even with Rubicon 4:10 gears, the gear ratios suck if you upgrade to 35inch or larger tires. Fifth is great on the highway with 35s, but 6th is just too tall to be useable - even with 93 octane gas, I feel like I am just lugging the engine and am afraid of knocking and pinging unless I am going high enough speeds to get the revs up into the power band.

Like I said, overall it is much better, and I would not want an automatic Jeep, but it is not perfect - feels like a transmission from the parts bin made to fit the jeep rather than a custom tailored vehicle specific unit.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just drove 370 miles to Oshkosh. I ran 6th hear at over 60mph nearly the whole way with no issues. I only downshifted a couple times for quick passes. It felt great. The best part: I averaged 22 mpg doing mostly 70mph. My JK would have gotten 18 at best and it is running 33s. The JL is on 35s. I really have no issue with 6th gear at this point. I think the engine has gotten better with miles and isn't struggling so much anymore to pull that tall gear. I just passed 22k miles just before reaching the camp site.

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
After 4 years in an auto JK, it’s welcoming to be back in the saddle utilizing a manual. I’m still trying to get acclimated to the short 1st gear. 2-6 is smooth with noticeably light mechanical chatter underneath as I tack up some miles. My current mpg’s are hovering in at 16, but that’s because I like to sit around 3-4K power-band. Overall, it feels solid and shifts beautiful on the highway climbing to speed. One draw back is it’s quiet so I have to look at the tack to see where I’m at. Might opt for a c.a.i. Just to help me out.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
After 4 years in an auto JK, it’s welcoming to be back in the saddle utilizing a manual. I’m still trying to get acclimated to the short 1st gear. 2-6 is smooth with noticeably light mechanical chatter underneath as I tack up some miles. My current mpg’s are hovering in at 16, but that’s because I like to sit around 3-4K power-band. Overall, it feels solid and shifts beautiful on the highway climbing to speed. One draw back is it’s quiet so I have to look at the tack to see where I’m at. Might opt for a c.a.i. Just to help me out.
Lol, the Magnaflow axle back works, too. I never thought of that, but you are right!
Sponsored