Sponsored

Good basic 2 door capability video

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
Just get a JLR
I think you're missing the point here.
You don't need a rubicon -or lockers - to get over some fairly knarly stuff. A bone stock Wrangler can go a hell of a lot further than most will ever dare take it.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Well Joe, I now know you carry two sets of chains (I do too, a pair of "standard" chains and v-bar chains) What I didn't know was that you carry a shovel, not until having watched you dig yourself a deeper and deeper hole. You stated some things that aren't true, you were corrected and shown the proof, and just kept digging. That's great and your level of commitment (to being wrong, illogical fallacies and moving the goal-post) is something we should all aspire to. Not everyone has that same hard-headed, I don't care about the facts, mentality, and we're all greater people for having witnessed it. Thank you for sharing your incredible experiences and your interpretation of what they mean to the rest of the world, and the rest of the people having experiences in the real world, not just in our minds.

OP
OP
Rescue119

Rescue119

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2021 Jeep GC L Limited
You don't need a rubicon -or lockers - to get over some fairly knarly stuff. A bone stock Wrangler can go a hell of a lot further than most will ever dare take it.
Someone got the point of the video lol

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
LOL, you haven't been wheeling if you believe that. Lets' see how far you can follow me on a typical weekend. You call than knarly? lol

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
LOL, you haven't been wheeling if you believe that. Lets' see how far you can follow me on a typical weekend. You call than knarly? lol
Skill aside, I'm of the opinion that lockers and large wheels are not going to matter as much as the 2 doors short wheelbase.

Of course what do I know? I have never wheeled a 4wd of any kind. I've only got my anecdotal experience seeing dozens of broken down Wranglers with huge JLU 4 doors on 37"+ tires and too wide for the trail.

I have had the unique opportunity over the years to go on a bunch of the most nastiest 4wd black diamond trails on my motorcycles. I'm aging out of dirt bikes so now I'm looking to try something different. I'm going baby steps starting with my truck with 2wd and TruTrac diff to see if I'm going to like it or not.

These stock Wranglers are really damn capable stock for the inexperienced Joe Blow driver like myself. I'm willing to bet there are a greater percentage of drivers do not have anywhere near the skill to capability ratio that 2 door wrangler provides out of the box.

Sponsored

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
Salty much?

Maybe you need lockers too touch dirt, but the best mod in my wrangler is the 30+ years of desert wheeling experience behind the wheel - skill will take you way further than a bunch of 'easy' buttons....and tell you where too far is.

...and with roughly $300 spent for disco's, a rubi take off suspension and rails, I'll get through, over and up almost anything a rubicon can.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Maybe you need lockers too touch dirt, but the best mod in my wrangler is the 30+ years of desert wheeling experience behind the wheel - skill will take you way further than a bunch of 'easy' buttons....and tell you where too far is.
Skill, guts, and a good spotter. 90% of the Rubys here never go off road, and plenty that do are too timid. It helps to be crazy when you're young and just go for it. I'm shocked by the number of timid off roaders.

BTW, I'll be getting hubs so I can air down my 18" wide rears to 5 psi and see how far I can get. I'm sure I'll be able to keep up with any sport in 4 low given we both have 2 pulling wheels. Check out my https://bt39.com/
at 5 PSI I'll have 278 sq inches of patch size. Compare that to a stock Sahara at 15 psi.

...and with roughly $300 spent for disco's, a rubi take off suspension and rails, I'll get through, over and up almost anything a rubicon can.
I'm not going to debate that 4 pulling wheels has no advantage over 2. I wheel with a bunch of non-rubys and those folks are very skilled but they can't go alot of place the ruby pack goes. Over 50 years serious wheeling, mostly with the 2 WD version of a 4x4 (ie, no lockers).

Talk about LOL on the video, by the time he's disconnected the sway bar I'm 5 miles down a path he can't go. When it's time to head home, shift into 4 Hi and the swaybar and lockers reset.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Salty much?

My parents lived in Boulder City NV back in the 90's and just recently have decided to move back. There is some world class harsh desert out there!!

It's on my bucket list to navigate from Boulder City to Nelson Hills hugging the river. I just know it's possible!! Well, maybe not!! LOL

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
What PSI do these run?

Jeep Wrangler JL Good basic 2 door capability video 5f670bdca25dc959b5b809dbf294dcbb
Doesn't matter, once you get off road and are climbing, spinning, they'll dig through the snow. On really hard snow perfectly level like the pic, you might get the snowmobile effect if you can manage to never spin the tires.

Sponsored

BigFeet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
From my experience 4x4 just means you are going to get stuck 4 times as far from help, and 4 times as bad as a normal vehicle would.

Adding all the "easy" buttons for a first timer... is it really the best way to teach someone the when, where, how, and why?

Learning the basics in a basic Jeep would be optimal, I believe. Most people have no clue what a stock Wrangler Sport is capable of, and how far off the beaten path they can take you.

Snow wheeling skills, and penis size aside... we all learned the hard way.

Avoid the put downs to those who "wussed out" on what you believe to be no big deal. You may not know their station, as to, what is causing them to tame the beast within. First timer, lack of financial cash flow for repairs/replacement, physical injury, etcetera? Give encouragement, and create a rapport of credibility with them. Watch out for one another, and help those who need it. You never know... that person may be who you are relying on when you get into trouble.

I'm not going on any outings with those who push me to destroy my Jeep for their own entertainment.

Some times we take advice from others and have mixed results due to different driving styles, vehicle capabilities/setup, etcetera. Everyone has to figure out what works for them and their vehicle. It can be quite fulfilling to learn by trial and error. Most of my best stories come from complete screw ups by me, and the hours spent working/figuring out how to get out of them.

Last edited:

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I guess the whole point here is simply that a Stock JL is a darn capable vehicle. Yes, at 9/10’s and up the Rubicon has advantages, and at 10/10’s the lifts and monster tires have a place. Thing is, most folks out there don’t drive at 9/10’s or above. A Rubicon “may” keep an inexperienced driver going when the same guy’d get stuck without lockers (not sure if that’s a good or bad thing😏). I can only state that I’ve used my Jeeps (and IH Scouts before them) to go wherever I chose to go. I use my rig to access hunting/fishing spots and to just explore old trails/fire roads to see where they go. I do try and use a bit of common sense, and I do carry self rescue equipment just in case. Yes, I have been stuck a few times (but not many). Over the last 5 decades I’ve used my winch and snatch strap more to pull out other folks than to save myself. YMMV.
Sponsored