Sponsored

Wrangler 2-door 2-seater option

Which 2 Door Wrangler option would you order

• Delete rear seat: Save money and garage space (2 person + big pet option)

• Keep rear seat: Pay extra just in case (3-4 person + medium pet option)

• Might as well delete the passenger seat too: So I can sleep inside solo (1 person + pet option)

• None of the above: I only buy 4 doors because I didn't keep scrolling and I load it up...

• Optional extra response: I am offended because you called the 4-door a Wagon!

• Optional extra response: I am offended because you referred to the 2-door as the Limited!

• Optional extra response: I am glad you called it a 'wagon'

• Optional extra response: I am cool with calling it 'the Limited'

• OR Join Campaign to have Jeep add a 50/50 rear split-seat option: So I can remove one or both sides!

Results are only viewable after voting.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
This poll is for the 2 door wrangler owners out there (4 doorers keep scrolling, nothing to see here...) :)
OK now that we got them cleared out, so as not to offend. I will affectionally refer to the 2 doors as the "Limited" just like we call the 4 doors "Unlimited" as opposed to SUVs.

We all know that most buyers of the Limited do not necessarily need or even use the rear seat. So I wanted to see how many buyers of the Limited wrangler would choose to not order a rear seat if given the option from factory.

Everything is an option when you order a wrangler, why not make the rear seat an option for the Limited. This would reduce the cost of the Jeep for those who don't need one. PLUS this would save garage space for those who take them out the first day that Jeep comes home. PLUS this would allow the Limited cargo area to be more Unlimited without having to go full wagon...

So here's the poll to see how the Limited owners really feel about their rear seats. I have my brand new leather rear seat collecting dust in the garage in a space I could use for something else, so you all know where I stand. CHEERS!!!
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I use the rear seat on mine a lot. It is me, wife and baby and sometimes mother in law tags along. I don't get why people are so afraid of owning a 2 door. The 2 door seats 4 very comfortably as there is plenty of space on the rear bench for 2 people. The 4 door fits 5 people uncomfortably and 4 comfortably. So most people looking to fit 2~4 in the Jeep will be fine with a 2 door. I love it how I can remove the rear bench so easily if I need to haul something in the back. Getting people in the back isn't as bad as some suggest. The JL has plenty of space to get in the back when you push the seat forward through the passenger side. It doesn't get old. I get a baby seat in there with base and everything, in and out, with no issues.

In 2 months I'll be getting my 5x8 squaredrop offroad hiker trailer. So I dont even have to deal with carrying a ton of camping gear in my Jeep. Life is good, simple and easy with the 2 door. It is perfect for us. It is also a great offroader if you don't wanna run big tires.

Since this post is about the rear bench thats my opinion on it. People buying a 2 door should have the option to delete it, because many have no use for it.

Last edited:

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
I use the rear seat on mine a lot. It is me, wife and baby and sometimes mother in law tags along. I don't get why people are so afraid of owning a 2 door. The 2 door seats 4 very comfortably as there is plenty of space on the rear bench for 2 people. The 4 door fits 5 people uncomfortably and 4 comfortably. So most people looking to fit 2~4 in the Jeep will be fine with a 2 door. I love it how I can remove the rear bench so easily if I need to haul something in the back. Getting people in the back isn't as bad as some suggest. The JL has plenty of space to get in the back when you push the rear forward through the passenger side. It doesn't get old. I get a baby seat in there with base and everything, in and out, with no issues.

In 2 months I'll be getting my 5x8 squaredrop offroad hiker trailer. So I dont even have to deal with carrying a ton of camping gear in my Jeep. Life is good, simple and easy with the 2 door. It is perfect for us. It is also a great offroader if you don't wanna run big tires.

Since this post is about the rear bench thats my opinion on it. People buying a 2 door should have the option to delete it, because many have no use for it though.
Sounds like in a couple months that mother-in-law will be riding in that new trailer - excellent idea !
I always keep an extra regular old beater car with a trunk in the fleet so mine can ride back there with the spare tire but this trailer idea you have sounds good too. My current trunk has rust holes for air so I suppose with the new trailers we should probably drill some airholes for these sweet old ladies else they get cranky and possibly die
Oh yeah, an option to kill the back seat sounds good as well for a 2-door
XR sounds good too but Jeep has negated the 2 doors as the red-headed step children of late so I wouldn't hold your breath on either

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Well I can see you guys clearly need an UNLIMITED owner to explain to you why you will never see the rear seat become an option ;)

Cost savings would be negligible. It's not like they are going to knock thousands off of the price. Maybe... what? $600.
Not having the rear seat would most likely hurt your resale value and options.
I'm sure there is some liability BS since the Jeep is designed to have the seat so not providing it would throw some kind of wrench into the works... do you also get rid of the seat belts? Do you make it so no seat could be installed? etc...
And the biggest of all... you already have a solution... take the seat out yourself, cry about the 4 sq/ft of garage space you have lost and make a poll about it :)

Sponsored

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
My rear seat came out as soon as I got it home on day 1. It will only go back in the day I sell it. I don't have any kids or pets. I like the open full bed in the back for transporting stuff. And taking out the rear seat which weighs ~80 pounds has got to be a good guy for long-term gas mileage.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I'd prefer there to be an option where the Jeep doesn't come with a backseat and instead there is a factory trunk-like solution similar to the Diabolical slipstream. Secure, water tight, maybe you can access it from the seats, bit of storage space still behind the seats.

Basically I want a Jeep version of the Suzuki X-90.
1996-suzuki-x-90-113-1590494946.jpg

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I'd prefer there to be an option where the Jeep doesn't come with a backseat and instead there is a factory trunk-like solution similar to the Diabolical slipstream. Secure, water tight, maybe you can access it from the seats, bit of storage space still behind the seats.

Basically I want a Jeep version of the Suzuki X-90.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler 2-door 2-seater option 1996-suzuki-x-90-113-1590494946
So you want a gay Jeep...

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
The rear seat will not become an option. For the reasons mgroeger listed.

The only way I could see it happening is FCA decides to just charge extra for it*

Didn't the base SE fourbanger TJ list the rear seat as optional? Almost none were sold without the back seat.

My TJ back seat has been hanging in my garage for the vast majority of its life, but my daughters were little when I bought the TJ new, and the decent backseat made the Jeep a plausible car-substitute. Without that backseat I would never have been able to justify getting the Jeep.

The JL backseat (68 lbs) is better than the TJ version and goes out and in ~easily. Mine is in storage already only 3 weeks after the JLR arrived, but I'd put it back in any time I expect to carry a second passenger or two, and that's already happened twice.

The real question is why is it a back seat, and not two half-backseats so you can leave one half in? I'd pay for a seat option if that were the option.
*In the first 2(?) years of the TJ, Chrysler/Dodge Jeep would charge $ to remove the block in the tank that limited your 19 gallon tank to 15 gallons. I remember the disappointment when folks would learn their 15 gallon tank was the same tank with a (permanent!) capacity limiter.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
I took the backseat out the day I brought it home. I have it in storage and like that I can pop it in anytime. Glad the “Limited” came with it.
Same here. It's just me the wife and a border collie. Nice leather bench is wrapped in plastic and stored off the floor. But, you never know when it might come in handy. Would rather have it than not.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler 2-door 2-seater option 20201004_080343

Acf130

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Same here. It's just me the wife and a border collie. Nice leather bench is wrapped in plastic and stored off the floor. But, you never know when it might come in handy. Would rather have it than not.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler 2-door 2-seater option 20201004_080343
Same here! Just me, the wife, and our lab mix.

OP
OP
MattT69

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The rear seat will not become an option. For the reasons mgroeger listed.

The only way I could see it happening is FCA decides to just charge extra for it*

Didn't the base SE fourbanger TJ list the rear seat as optional? Almost none were sold without the back seat.

The real question is why is it a back seat, and not two half-backseats you you can leave one half in? I'd pay for a seat option if that were the option.
*In the first 2(?) years of the TJ, Chrysler/Dodge Jeep would charge $ to remove the block in the tank that limited your 19 gallon tank to 15 gallons. I remember the disappointment when folks would learn their 15 gallon tank was the same tank with a (permanent!) capacity limiter.
Great Idea for a rear split seat option. I should have added that to the poll. But I think that would only work if all the 2 door rear seats came that way because given the limited sales of the Limited I don't think Jeep would manufacture two rear seat options for the 2 door wrangler.

BUT I TOTALLY DISAGREE with the assessment from mgroeger about the (1)resale, (2)cost savings and (3)storage issues.

(1). Almost everything is an option in a wrangler and people STILL buy them at top dollar even without power windows,
without power door locks,
without A/C,
without large screens or navigation or satellite radio,
without LSDs or lockers,
without LED lights,
without 4 doors (or sometimes soft doors or no doors),
without hardtops,
without backup cameras,
without side steps and they will do the same without a rear seat.
(2). As far as 'only' a $600 cost savings, there are lots of other options you could spend that money, so that's not chump change.
(3). Lastly, lots of people don't have the extra space to store an approx. 8 sqft 80 lbs seat. Lots of people don't have a garage or only have a 1 car garage or rent a small storage unit. Some people live in apartments or only have a carport or live a place where they use a parking garage. So lets not say that that seat is easy to mange for everyone when its out.
Plus it looks like mcgregor is a 4-doorer, sooooo yeah!!! he didn't keep scrolling :)

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
Great Idea for a rear split seat option. I should have added that to the poll. But I think that would only work if all the 2 door rear seats came that way because given the limited sales of the Limited I don't think Jeep would manufacture two rear seat options for the 2 door wrangler.

BUT I TOTALLY DISAGREE with the assessment from mgroeger about the (1)resale, (2)cost savings and (3)storage issues.

(1). Almost everything is an option in a wrangler and people STILL buy them at top dollar even without power windows,
without power door locks,
without A/C,
without large screens or navigation or satellite radio,
without LSDs or lockers,
without LED lights,
without 4 doors (or sometimes soft doors or no doors),
without hardtops,
without backup cameras,
without side steps and they will do the same without a rear seat.
(2). As far as 'only' a $600 cost savings, there are lots of other options you could spend that money, so that's not chump change.
(3). Lastly, lots of people don't have the extra space to store an approx. 8 sqft 80 lbs seat. Lots of people don't have a garage or only have a 1 car garage or rent a small storage unit. Some people live in apartments or only have a carport or live a place where they use a parking garage. So lets not say that that seat is easy to mange for everyone when its out.
Plus it looks like mcgregor is a 4-doorer, sooooo yeah!!! he didn't keep scrolling :)
I agree it could or should be an option. Just saying it would not save us any money but would be an extra up-charge.

What would be good is if the floor fittings were still installed on the JL floor either way. That way JL owners with a back seat who don't need it can sell to JL owners without the back seat who need one.
Sponsored