Gladiator Fox shocks on JLUR?

Khali_mo

First Name
Mohamed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro ZLE 1LE Jeep Wrangler 392
Thanks to this thread, I made the upgrade to JT Rubicon shocks a little over a month ago and totally love the spongy Cadillac like ride these shocks provide.

The only negative comment came from my daughter who borrowed the Jeep last week and commented how the Jeep fealth less stable and was constantly ‘’rocking’’ as if it was a boat she said.

So some might not enjoy as much as I do. To me it beats the jabbing effect and banging sound provided by the stock Rubi shocks and by far.

Heck I even modded my Fox steering stabiliser to match the shocks….. yeah I know, I had too much time on my hands that day🤓

B2784F64-0569-46E5-B92B-97A00477A59C.jpeg

D1CD6881-168F-46EB-8920-FD7263CD7ADA.jpeg

C4F82E63-BA01-4135-891F-692EADD825ED.jpeg
What did you do about the difference in bushings between the JT and JL. Also have you considered the mopar lower control arms? Might help with the over all feel and handling. Lastly a lot of folks have mentioned tire pressures needing to be adjusted. Cheers
Sponsored

Easttnrhino

First Name
Tad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 power wagon
Occupation
Gas Serviceman
I like the on road ride with the JT fox shocks but when i get a hour or so i am putting my stock Rubicon shocks back on, i hate the JT fox shocks off road, bottom all the time on slights bump and i am talking slow speeds. Mainly the front.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
What did you do about the difference in bushings between the JT and JL. Also have you considered the mopar lower control arms? Might help with the over all feel and handling. Lastly a lot of folks have mentioned tire pressures needing to be adjusted. Cheers
I purchased the Mopar oem upper JL shock mounts at my dealer. I got the part number somewhere in this here thread and it transform the JT into JL shocks. As for the lower rear mounts, I didn't do anything other than tighten to specs and never heard a clunk or anything like that would hint that the bolts are loose. But honestly, not sure if you've ever played with the shocks or anything, but although the bolts fit perfectly in the axle brackets holes, they are already loose in the oem Rubi shock sleeves. I was going to drill bigger holes in the brackets and get bigger bolts, but when I realized the bolts were already loose in there, I figured a tinny bit looser wouldn't change anything and so far I'm right.

As for the controls arms, I already have the Mopar longer ones. The Jeep steers perfectly straight and doesn't even wander at highway speeds.

I haven't taken the Jeep offroad yet, since the trails aren't open here yet at this time of year, but there are tons and tons of potholes and to me, the Jeep performs perfectly. My daughter has been complaining about the ride ever since I switched from the 285/70 to the 315/70 tires. She hardly ever drives it, so it was just her regular Royal rant.

The improvement on the road is so important, that I'd never ever switch back to stock Rubi shocks. Heck I sold them already :)

Last edited:

Khali_mo

First Name
Mohamed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like the on road ride with the JT fox shocks but when i get a hour or so i am putting my stock Rubicon shocks back on, i hate the JT fox shocks off road, bottom all the time on slights bump and i am talking slow speeds. Mainly the front.
It’s possible the valving on the jt rubicon fox shocks and the springs aren’t perfect for the jl. I thinks shops like acc iTunes can do custom valving along with the correct springs ( the spring rates) could help with the bottoming out your experiencing.

Khali_mo

First Name
Mohamed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I purchased the Mopar oem upper JL shock mounts at my dealer. I got the part number somewhere in this here thread and it transform the JT into JL shocks. As for the lower rear mounts, I didn't do anything other than tighten to specs and never heard a clunk or anything like that would hint that the bolts are loose. But honestly, not sure if you've ever played with the shocks or anything, but although the bolts fit perfectly in the axle brackets holes, they are already loose in the oem Rubi shock sleeves. I was going to drill bigger holes in the brackets and get bigger bolts, but when I realized the bolts were already loose in there, I figured a tinny bit looser wouldn't change change anything and so far I'm right.

As for the controls arms, I already have the Mopar longer ones. The Jeep steers perfectly straight and doesn't even wander at highway speeds.

I haven't taken the Jeep offroad yet, since the trails aren't open here yet at this time of year, but there are tons and tons of potholes and to me, the Jeep performs perfectly. My daughter has been complaining about the ride ever since I switched from the 285/70 to the 315/70 tires. She hardly ever drives it, so it was just her regular Royal rant.

The improvement on the road is so important, that I'd never ever switch back to stock Rubi shocks. Heck I sold them already :)
Do you know if this was the part number your dealer ordered for the upper bushing 68351974AA?

Sponsored

Khali_mo

First Name
Mohamed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. That’s the part Kevin mentioned but I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Thanks to this thread, I made the upgrade to JT Rubicon shocks a little over a month ago and totally love the spongy Cadillac like ride these shocks provide.

The only negative comment came from my daughter who borrowed the Jeep last week and commented how the Jeep fealth less stable and was constantly ‘’rocking’’ as if it was a boat she said.

So some might not enjoy as much as I do. To me it beats the jabbing effect and banging sound provided by the stock Rubi shocks and by far.
I wonder how the 392 shocks compare... they would require ~1" of bump stop (so 35s), but the valving might be more in-line with typical JLU proportions... which is a lot closer to my 2-door than the JT.

Too bad the 392 bronze stickers will clash with my color scheme... Ocean Blue & (stock) red Rubicon accents.
Sponsored