Sponsored

Freedom Panel Noise

Hinxster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I absolutely love my 2018 JLUR, but both Freedom Panels make a ticking noise that is driving me crazy! The sound comes from the area of the panel locking lever directly above the driver's and passengers head. The noise comes and goes based on road surface and ambient temperature. Unlocking the inside lever tends to lessen the noise but does not eliminate it. I've researched all of the forums relating to Freedom Panel noise. I've torqued the Freedom top bolts, tried tightening them beyond specs, applied silicone to the rubber seals and applied rubber and felt pads to the area where the panels meet the locking levers. None of this has eliminated the noise. I believe that I am not alone and that this ticking noise is a common problem with the JLUR Freedom Panels. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet because of a belief that they'll just keep the truck for a week, apply automotive cloth tape somewhere on the panels and give it back saying it's fixed when it isn't. I'm hoping that someone can give me specific info on how to get rid of this noise for good and/or knows of a TSB that I can tell the dealer about if I end up going to them for help. Fingers crossed! Thanks in advance for the replies!
Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Next time you hear it drop your driver and passenger sun visor - I swear I had a rattle in my soundbar and it ended up being a visor rattle I just extended the little rubber stops that are suppose to prevent a rattle.

OP
OP

Hinxster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Next time you hear it drop your driver and passenger sun visor - I swear I had a rattle in my soundbar and it ended up being a visor rattle I just extended the little rubber stops that are suppose to prevent a rattle.
I'm certain that's not the cause. Pushing up or pulling on the lever when there's ticking makes it quieter.

MartyParty

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport, Ocean Blue
With apologies, I can only confirm what you are hearing. I noticed the same noise on the driver’s side latch when going offroad...I’d back it off (slightly open the mechanism) just a bit and it went away. I haven’t noticed it in a while. I would guess it’s in that handle lever metal somewhere.

saltyaggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
It's the locating pins. Exact same thing with mine. Either lube up the pins or spend some extra time getting them perfectly centered in the hole and the noise will go away.

Sponsored

seguerski

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S 3.6L Sting Gray, 2014 Jeep MK Compass Latitude 2.4L
I had this too... the fix for me was to apply small velcro felt squares right on the edge where the freedom top foam hits against the hard plastic of the non-freedom top.

seguerski

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S 3.6L Sting Gray, 2014 Jeep MK Compass Latitude 2.4L
Here's the more rigid foam on the drivers' freedom panel:
IMG_1340.JPG

and here's the two square soft-side velcro pieces:
IMG_1341.JPG

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Honestly, get some silicon and wipe it on the rubber. It will also fix the squeaky rear window too. I do it every few months and it works like a charm. You Jeep won’t sound like you’re driving a styrofoam cooler around.

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
I had a noise similar to this too, check your 4 bolts that secure your windshield to the roll bar...the two outside ones for me were about to fall out they were so loose. I've also never lowered my windshield so this was factory torque specs. After I tightened them down, most of the noises I was hearing were eliminated. Hopefully this might help you.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Plastics are going to squeal and creak when cold, now it is about time.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hinxster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I had a noise similar to this too, check your 4 bolts that secure your windshield to the roll bar...the two outside ones for me were about to fall out they were so loose. I've also never lowered my windshield so this was factory torque specs. After I tightened them down, most of the noises I was hearing were eliminated. Hopefully this might help you.
Thanks. I checked, but those bolts are tight.

Deleted member 27937

Ok, thanks. I've attached the Velcro as shown. We'll see if this works!
Any good news to report. Want to tackle this problem also. Two success stories would be inspiring. Three even better.

OP
OP

Hinxster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Any good news to report. Want to tackle this problem also. Two success stories would be inspiring. Three even better.
Yes, the Velcro does seem to have worked. The trick is to make sure that it's applied to the leading outside edge of the metal mount for the panel. I also think that the panel's plastic locating pin that inserts into this mount contributes to the noise by rubbing against the plastic coated mounting hole. I'm going to wrap a small piece of cloth tape around the locating pin to eliminate any chance of this being a factor.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Hinxster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Yes, the Velcro does seem to have worked. The trick is to make sure that it's applied to the leading outside edge of the metal mount for the panel. I also think that the panel's plastic locating pin that inserts into this mount contributes to the noise by rubbing against the plastic coated mounting hole. I'm going to wrap a small piece of cloth tape around the locating pin to eliminate any chance of this being a factor.
Not sure if the fabric tape helped because there's still a faint ticking sound coming from the same location every so often. Overall, the panels are much quieter now though.
Sponsored