Flat Tire - Jack Type?

keg392

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR 392 XR
So, I want to be prepared in the event I get a flat tire away from the house. How are you guys raising your lifted Jeeps high enough to change a tire out? I have the jack base that came with mine, but even then, not tall enough. Bottle jack of some sort?
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I keep one of these in the jeep. I've changed a tire offroad with it and the big flat base kept it from sinking into the dirt. I also use it every month or two to rotate tires for the two jeeps.
Amazon.com: Powerbuilt 3 Ton, Bottle Jack and Jack Stands in One, 6000 Pound All-in-One Car Lift, Heavy Duty Vehicle Unijack, 640912 : Industrial & Scientific

I've had folks on here say this design isn't reliable, but I like that if it does fail while the jeep is up it will lock and not go all the way down. I had a rolling floor jack do that to me in the past and I had to find something quickly to wedge under the axle to keep my rotor off the cement.

Alternatively you could just get a jack base like this so your factory one will reach (or cut up some 2x8s).
AEV 40306093AA Jack Base for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL | Quadratec

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
I second @BDinTX - bottle jack or a base to raise the height of the factory scissor jack. Basically, just avoid Hi-Lifts for tire changes if at all possible. That's not what they're for.

mr_sparkle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys Sport
So, I want to be prepared in the event I get a flat tire away from the house. How are you guys raising your lifted Jeeps high enough to change a tire out? I have the jack base that came with mine, but even then, not tall enough. Bottle jack of some sort?
Jack the axle, not the frame

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Remember you need to be able to get low enough with the rim on the ground AND high enough for the fully inflated spare tire. I've had problem with bottle jack throw being enough.

Is the XR pad not the same as the Mopar one? I use the Mopar one and it's like an additional 4"+

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Jack the axle. I did with my fact scissor jack to fix a flat with no problem. I have since added the AEV base with the under dash mount. Used this and a floor jack a couple weeks ago to install a full 3.5” lift on a JT.

Should be more than enough for me off road. Hopefully I dont/wont need to change too many tires.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I carry a bottle jack when offroad but I haven't tried using it yet. I should do that.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
High-Range Bottle jack

Jeep Wrangler JL Flat Tire - Jack Type? 1659066473751

Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
I went with a BAOSHISHAN 4 Ton Bottle Jack 10-5/8" to 24" Lifting Range High Lift Double Ram. It's a bit to tall for a flat, but I carry a 12" piece of 2x10 to drive over. I like the double ram high lift. It has great reviews on Amazon. Used it a couple times this year for different JK's in the club.

Jeep Wrangler JL Flat Tire - Jack Type? 1659070454789

I keep one of these in the jeep. I've changed a tire offroad with it and the big flat base kept it from sinking into the dirt. I also use it every month or two to rotate tires for the two jeeps.
Amazon.com: Powerbuilt 3 Ton, Bottle Jack and Jack Stands in One, 6000 Pound All-in-One Car Lift, Heavy Duty Vehicle Unijack, 640912 : Industrial & Scientific

I've had folks on here say this design isn't reliable, but I like that if it does fail while the jeep is up it will lock and not go all the way down. I had a rolling floor jack do that to me in the past and I had to find something quickly to wedge under the axle to keep my rotor off the cement.
I looked at that but the reviews are pretty bad. Most reviews that say leaks they probably didn't close the value.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I use this setup and it all fits in the back storage cubby (along w/ a crap load of other stuff).
The stacking base pads will work for bottle & scissor jacks, and since they stack you can get as much lift as you need, and they are plenty strong, and a bargain vs. the Mopar plastic base.
I strongly recommend @Stormin’ Moorman w/ the Jack axle adapter, much safer & secure vs. just the bottle jack small round top.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/cheap-jack-pad-for-stock-scissor-jack.60565/
Sponsored