Flat Tire Recommendations?

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Got a nasty flat on the Rubi tonight. Big piece of metal lodged in there so pretty sure it can’t be plugged. 35k miles on these tires and I have done a 5 tire rotation (myself) every 6-10k miles. Should I get a single tire replacement, or am I at a point where I should replace all 5? Currently have just under 1/2” of tred on the stock Rubi tires. Thanks god for the full size spare! Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

7D0B7D7F-A1FB-4666-A4B1-6D5D5C9DB31A.jpeg
Sponsored

TrewJL

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
CEO
I rotate my 5th tire in every 5k, you might be alright but weather and tire compound plays a part in this decision.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Keep a eye out for a set of cheap K02 take offs.

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
There’s nothing wrong with the sidewall, shove a couple plugs in it or get a patch. The reality is once you’ve lost a fair bit of tread depth the off road performance is compromised but I think new those are 17/32 so you haven’t lost much.
Nope, 15/32 new.

99wishes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Moab
Could you buy one new tire, use it as a spare until you need to replace the other 4? Seems like you can go with a 4 tire rotation for a little longer rather than dumping them all. Then start your 5 tire rotation when you replace the other 4.

Or plug that one, use it as a spare and go with the 4-tire rotation for as long as you can.

Sponsored

Non Partisan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JK
Vehicle Showcase
Lucky you OP. The puncture is in the area of acceptable repair and best thing is an interior patch. A shop (or you) can patch that after demounting or plugs from the outside will work too. About 5 inches in the middle of the flat part of the diameter is ok for repairs, getting towards the shoulder is considered a no-no. After saying all that, my career in construction exposed the tires to all kinds of danger and I plugged most all of them. Yeah some repairs were at the shoulder or sidewall and some took a half dozen plugs. Always recommend to get a professional grade plug kit, kindda spendy but well worth it over time.

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Some tire shops also have used ones, so you could check around. Make the new "used" one the 5th, until you get 35" fresh 5 next time.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Plug it. Use it

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Just patch it if it can be and put it on the spare and don't rotate it in anymore. Then get new tires when need. Use the patched one and an emergency spare only.

Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Got a nasty flat on the Rubi tonight. Big piece of metal lodged in there so pretty sure it can’t be plugged. 35k miles on these tires and I have done a 5 tire rotation (myself) every 6-10k miles. Should I get a single tire replacement, or am I at a point where I should replace all 5? Currently have just under 1/2” of tred on the stock Rubi tires. Thanks god for the full size spare! Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

7D0B7D7F-A1FB-4666-A4B1-6D5D5C9DB31A.jpeg

I would just plug it up , you may be surprised how well it may work

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i had a finger nail clipper punched a hole in my tire. the tire guy put in a patch on the inside and 2 thick plugs. it was good as new. so a thick tire plug (or 2) should work.

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Could you buy one new tire, use it as a spare until you need to replace the other 4? Seems like you can go with a 4 tire rotation for a little longer rather than dumping them all. Then start your 5 tire rotation when you replace the other 4.

Or plug that one, use it as a spare and go with the 4-tire rotation for as long as you can.
This is what I would do. Buy a new tire and use it as the spare but do not rotate it in until you need to replace the other four. That way you won't discover the repair didn't work right when you need it most.

OP
OP
Jeep4Life0112

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Thanks everyone. Ended up plugging the hole and driving on it for a day to make sure I wasn’t loosing pressure. All seems well and it is my dedicated spare until I get new tires in the future. Took a few plugs to seal up that nasty hole.
Sponsored