Sponsored

Bottle jack for tire changes

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
The jack buddy axle adapter can be made on the cheap if you weld, just a galvanized pipe nipple and some channel iron, made for about $5 :) NEVER lift an axle without one!!!!
Thank you! I now have the rationale for ordering that $900 welder I've been looking at.
Sponsored

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
Best tip I got was on this forum. For using a bottle Jack safely they said buy a broom handle. It lets me Jack up the jeep and not be right underneath it.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
That sounds quite difficult.
I have put over 15,000 mile so far this year Jeeping all over the US. Will probably put another 12 to 14,000 miles on before I get home. I also change my oil in Walmart parking lots.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
I have put over 15,000 mile so far this year Jeeping all over the US. Will probably put another 12 to 14,000 miles on before I get home. I also change my oil in Walmart parking lots.
^ This guy is also faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and can leap tall buildings in a single bound…. All while listening to EDM and crushing it on some of America’s best Jeep trails. Lucky… 😏

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Oh, really? And just how fast are you traveling when you do this tire rotation?
Some times I don’t even use a jack to do tire rotation. I just lift a tire and swap the spare on during a five tire rotation.
24A1250C-7410-4D57-940A-E664AA9EE509.jpeg

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
^ This guy is also faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and can leap tall buildings in a single bound…. All while listening to EDM and crushing it on some of America’s best Jeep trails. Lucky… 😏
I am lucky. Thinking I might wheel Broken Arrow trail in Sedona Arizona today.

OP
OP
arjusmc

arjusmc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JL Unlimited Sport S
I have had a bottle jack in my garage for years and didn’t know it would leak if laying on the side. Ive had it upright, just never thought about it.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I have had a bottle jack in my garage for years and didn’t know it would leak if laying on the side. Ive had it upright, just never thought about it.
Now you've got some good reasons to think about it :)
They are handy, don't take up much space and can be just the right tool for the job (with the proper safety precautions).

Sponsored

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I utilize a made in USA bottle jack = U.S. Jack Hi-Range 11" to 23.5" (model D-51013) with Safe Jack flat, universal round (axle), and custom collar accessories.

https://www.usjack.com/

https://safejacks.com/

Jeep Wrangler JL Bottle jack for tire changes 1652374371279

I have the same jack, but I’m curious how you use it when you get a flat? At 11” collapsed it seems like it would be too tall with 17” wheels and a 3” axle tube. (17/2-(3/2)) == 7” or so + and inch of rubber or whatever the tires work out to be flat. Seems like anything taller than 7-8” collapsed wouldn’t fit under the axle?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have the same jack, but I’m curious how you use it when you get a flat? At 11” collapsed it seems like it would be too tall with 17” wheels and a 3” axle tube. (17/2-(3/2)) == 7” or so + and inch of rubber or whatever the tires work out to be flat. Seems like anything taller than 7-8” collapsed wouldn’t fit under the axle?
Exactly the issue I was thinking when considering a bottle jack. I'm on 37s which means I have about 10" of sidewall. When flat, I still have to contend with 17"/2-3"/2=7", but in addition, I need to jack it high enough to get an inflated 37" tire on. That means I have to jack to a height of about 18" to get a bit of clearance. So, the jack has to move, without re-cribbing, from 7" to 18". Otherwise you need to plan on driving the flat up on to something so the jack travel is shorter.

I ended up with some 24" scissor jacks. On a flat hard surface the big scissor jack works great. But I found that when a friend had a real on-trail flat, it was a real pain if the jack wasn't on level surface. It was binding and looked sketchy.

So, I ended up buying a Pro Eagle 1 1/2 ton and the extensions.

Terrymo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR 3.6 ET
Clubs

…I'm on 37s which means I have about 10" of sidewall. When flat, I still have to contend with 17"/2-3"/2=7", but in addition, I need to jack it high enough to get an inflated 37" tire on. That means I have to jack to a height of about 18" to get a bit of clearance. So, the jack has to move, without re-cribbing, from 7" to 18". Otherwise you need to plan on driving the flat up on to something so the jack travel is shorter...
I carry a Hilift as a last resort and a HMMWV scissor jack as my primary. The H1 jack takes up approximately 22x7x7 inches of cargo space. They are expensive compared to what you could buy one for a few years ago and it requires you to fabricate an adapter or buy one at an additional cost. You would also need to fabricate some sort of mounting brackets to carry it safely. The base plate is 7x12 inches so fairly stable. Here are some approximate measurements fully collapsed and fully extended. I probably would not buy at today’s EBay prices, but I was able to buy two of them previously for a good price. Not for everyone but just another option.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bottle jack for tire changes IMG_1710
Jeep Wrangler JL Bottle jack for tire changes IMG_1711

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I just bought the AEV base for the stock scissor jack. I figure I can use that in a pinch to get the axle up a few inches and then the bottle jack can take over. I also have ~26” height with the bottle jack and a flat plate at max extension which is probably enough at the frame to lift a wheel in the air. I’ll test that theory, later. This way I have two ways of accomplishing the same thing in case one fails or there is an odd situation where one doesn’t work but the other does due to placement constraints.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
After inspecting the seal upon removal, it looks like the seal was mangled, with the seal lips folded. Surprising that it didn't leak right off the bat. It's about $200 in parts when you figure in the bearing, collar, seal, and the parking brake shoes. More if you go for the loaded backing plate with the shoes installed.
Sponsored