Sponsored

Finally a smaller key fob

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
More functional than what? Look at the top key fob in the picture above. We’ve had those features on vehicles for a long time now, with the exception of the proximity entry which I can’t speak to. The buttons on the JL fob just look like they were designed for the elderly. Huge.

Also, the majority of JL’s don’t have proximity entry.
I have a 2015 Cherokee with all of the same features-remote start/proximity/etc, and it is significantly smaller and lighter than my JL remote.
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I personally believe FCA could have made a smaller FOB and yes I don’t care for the size of it but it’s what they made so we have a choice to use it or design a replacement, I have not seen the fobs for the 2019 but guessing it’s the same size

walweb

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR Mojito, 1993 YJ, 2001 Ram 2500, 2012 Ram Dually , 2014 Durango
Occupation
Retired
Pardon my ignorance, if this has already been asked and answered but, do you have to program these fobs, or do you install the guts from your old fob into the new one?

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Pardon my ignorance, if this has already been asked and answered but, do you have to program these fobs, or do you install the guts from your old fob into the new one?
Guts

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Currentg

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I don't have a real issue with the big key fob other than the key keeps popping out. That, I hate.
I fixed the problem of the key opening on the original FOB by simply taking a 2 inch piece of electrical tape and covering the key. The electrical tape is flexible enough to conform to side dips and blends in with the black color of the FOB.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
I fixed the problem of the key opening on the original FOB by simply taking a 2 inch piece of electrical tape and covering the key. The electrical tape is flexible enough to conform to side dips and blends in with the black color of the FOB.
Great practical solution, but admittedly does not feed our irrational need to buy cool new sh!t for our JLs!

Its a disease, I know...

;)

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I think Adam (its maker) and its design are awesome. There is though one thing (and I've already purchased so know it's minor) that I wish could have been added:

I would have liked to see ability within the exterior of the fob to grab and somehow hold on to the end of the key. When stuck with a dead fob battery you'll not only need that key, but something to torque (i.e. turn) it and pull it out of the keyhole with.

I mean no disrespect to the idea of cutting a hole in the non-business end of the key (I've already done this on extras, having read this idea here and it's soft easy to drill metal) and putting a small key chain through it for this leverage, but I'm not sure the key would fit in Adam's compartment for it with such a key ring on or next to it.

Putting the key ring on the actually fob's attachment point for same, to serve either as dual duty as holder of other keys and/or "emergency physical fob key torquing device" of course, is not lost on this poster: I just don't (me personally) attach other keys to the OEM fob or have intention on doing so with this one--even a small one just as an emergency torque device--seeing as I got the fob for compactness.

In my house, with multiple drivers/vehicle, and a single car driveway, automobile keys, rather than associated with a single driver, are returned to a central area where you take your stuff with you out of the vehicle as tomorrow your order out of the house may find you taking a different vehicle than that you drove yesterday.

But again, that me, the fob's awesome, and no solution meets everyone's needs, boy do I know! (LOL) :

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/smaller-key-fob.25099/

Last edited:

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
Can anybody explain the "panic" button on the fob?
Go outside late one evening and press the button. You'll understand immediately. ;)

Really though, I believe it is a safety feature in case you're near your vehicle, say in a dark parking lot, and are being attacked.

Sponsored

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at posting dates, I'm late to the party. All of this FOB to phone comparison has an interesting twist. I can't wait for the day that I can use my phone AS my fob ... no more fob at all! :idea: I think that day will come soon.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...r-phone-replace-your-cars-key-fob/3616046002/

I already don't carry a traditional wallet ... I have a slim compartment in my phone case that holds an emergency $20, my driver's license, and credit card. My phone has become indispensable. It is my phone, wallet, calendar, alarm clock, boom box (with thousands of songs), mobile computer, mobile TV, map+gps, gaming device, and home security controller.

Defending a large key fob in the name of 'progress' is kinda silly. Some things won't decrease in size due to ergonomics. Everything else will get smaller or be absorbed by a more functional piece of technology.

Two years into my first job I thought I was pretty important when I had accumulated 4 or 5 keys to different areas of the building... Until I realized that the really important people only carried 1 master key that opened everything!

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone help explain how the FOB works for those of us that have no buttons? I pulled the battery and it wouldn't start until I pressed the transponder end against the start button (dead FOB battery override), once I put the battery back in it worked as normal. Does the battery power the transponder, or are the transponder backup and the battery/circuit board two separate systems? They looked separate in the AJT video but I couldn't tell.

Its frustrating to have a giant key with no buttons :swear: if there is a way to miniaturize it that would be great.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Can anyone help explain how the FOB works for those of us that have no buttons? I pulled the battery and it wouldn't start until I pressed the transponder end against the start button (dead FOB battery override), once I put the battery back in it worked as normal. Does the battery power the transponder, or are the transponder backup and the battery/circuit board two separate systems? They looked separate in the AJT video but I couldn't tell.

Its frustrating to have a giant key with no buttons :swear: if there is a way to miniaturize it that would be great.
It uses an RFID chip for the emergency start when the battery is dead, that requires no power.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher