RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
The holster was a well made product to be sure, but to be honest I don’t use mine. While it does prevent the accessory key from opening in my pocket, it adds significant size and weight. Also the leather is very, very stiff and hard to work with, though I’m sure it would soften over time or with oil and manipulation like a baseball glove?
Wow: to each their own. I think the fob adds miniscule size or weight, prevents the key from opening (although the board has workarounds for that) and BECAUSE of its rigidity--a good thing--reduces the chances of buttons being pressed in pockets.

Weight: if you were holding it, which you're not if you have pockets or bought one with a clip, to say it has weight is to say a lightly packed and carried back pack will cause spinal injury. I think.
Sponsored

Blkjak

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gibsonleatherworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Technical Training Manager Mercedes-Benz USA LLC and owner of Gibson Leatherworks
The holster was a well made product to be sure, but to be honest I don’t use mine. While it does prevent the accessory key from opening in my pocket, it adds significant size and weight. Also the leather is very, very stiff and hard to work with, though I’m sure it would soften over time or with oil and manipulation like a baseball glove?
Hello Mike First Thank you for you business. I do want to clarify a little on the design. The FOB holster is intended to be stiff (much like a gun holster) and is molded specifically to the JL key FOBs. This allows for retention of the key (without having to add snaps or straps), adds protection to the key (as they are not cheap) and helps to reduce the possibility of accidental activation of panic buttons etc. These are also sealed which adds to the rigidity. They were never intended to be a "sleeve" much like a thin leather would do. While a sleeve may prevent mechanical key deployment, it would not offer any protection or reduce accidental activation of buttons. . Trying to crush it or manipulate it will only potentially break down the molding, adversely affecting retention. Weight I think is fairly minimal, but I would agree that it does add to the dimensions of the FOB as it wraps around it.

DCELL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL Sahara, Ford F150
Definitely takes some getting use to...
Hello Mike First Thank you for you business. I do want to clarify a little on the design. The FOB holster is intended to be stiff (much like a gun holster) and is molded specifically to the JL key FOBs. This allows for retention of the key (without having to add snaps or straps), adds protection to the key (as they are not cheap) and helps to reduce the possibility of accidental activation of panic buttons etc. These are also sealed which adds to the rigidity. They were never intended to be a "sleeve" much like a thin leather would do. While a sleeve may prevent mechanical key deployment, it would not offer any protection or reduce accidental activation of buttons. . Trying to crush it or manipulate it will only potentially break down the molding, adversely affecting retention. Weight I think is fairly minimal, but I would agree that it does add to the dimensions of the FOB as it wraps around it.
Nice! Change a couple of words and we ARE talking about a holster. ;)

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Definitely takes some getting use to...

Nice! Change a couple of words and we ARE talking about a holster. ;)
;)Look at the bright side Jim. At least the fob's battery isn't a @DCELL ;)

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
All I hear is complaints, people who don't want to move forward. Key Fobs or no different than that HUG CELL PHONE people carry.
Technology is here we can't change that.
The key fob is not much larger than the average key fob.
Here is a picture of my key Fobs.
So what's the real complaint, people just want something to complain about.

DSC_0304.JPG

Sponsored

DIRKS

First Name
David Beischer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
All I hear is complaints, people who don't want to move forward. Key Fobs or no different than that HUG CELL PHONE people carry.
Technology is here we can't change that.
The key fob is not much larger than the average key fob.
Here is a picture of my key Fobs.
So what's the real complaint, people just want something to complain about.

DSC_0304.JPG
Here’s the thing... Cell phones got smaller and massively more capable. If somebody has a huge phone, it’s usually by choice. For a brand new vehicle, the Jeep fob is 30% larger than any other key fob I’ve had in my pocket for the last 15 years. Does it do more? Nope. Did they skimp on the design and accept something that was easy or cheap or good enough? Maybe. Would many of us buy a smaller/more streamlined fob that fits better in the pocket? Seems likely.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Here’s the thing... Cell phones got smaller and massively more capable. If somebody has a huge phone, it’s usually by choice. For a brand new vehicle, the Jeep fob is 30% larger than any other key fob I’ve had in my pocket for the last 15 years. Does it do more? Nope. Did they skimp on the design and accept something that was easy or cheap or good enough? Maybe. Would many of us buy a smaller/more streamlined fob that fits better in the pocket? Seems likely.
Again post a picture of your cell phone and other key Fobs the key fob is not that big. Your cell phone is bigger than the key fob, your wallet is bigger than your key fob. So on that note next complaint.

I like my key Fobs non of them or to large. And yes they do about the same thing except one With the T does so much more and yes it's just as big.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
A phone has a screen on it, and as it gets larger it becomes clearer and easier to see and use. They have also become much, much thinner than in the past. The JL key fob has no obvious reason to be so large, other than to look/be tough I suppose.

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
Am I the only person who remembers the "good old days" when each car had a "normal" sized key?

We have 4 vehicles in our family, and I used to be able to carry one key ring, with 4 vehicle keys, house keys, and other keys on it. Now I practically have to have a suitcase (sarcasm) to carry around all these key fobs just to move vehicles around in our driveway.

I absolutely HATE this new Wrangler HUGE key fob! My wife's Honda has a key fob that does everything the new JL fob does and it is 1/2 the size.

Why must the Wrangler fob be so large?
I miss rotory dial phones and 78s too.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I miss rotory dial phones and 78s too.
That's not much of a response, it implies that the larger fob is somehow more functional, which does not seem to be true.

Sponsored

K enny

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Ridgeline
And a phone is just a phone and is usually in your back or shirt or coat pocket where it fits fine. The fob on the other hand usually ends up with other keys attached to it and just gets bigger ending up being a big lump in your front pocket.

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I bought the holster with a clip for my fob. Came quickly after I ordered it. Works great. Protects the buttons from accidental activation. I had a few times where the panic button got hit while in my pocket. Reminds me of the days when I use to carry a beeper (no internet can you believe it). I think it is one of my best investments for my JLU. It would be interesting to see one in Kydex as well.

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
That's not much of a response, it implies that the larger fob is somehow more functional, which does not seem to be true.
Actually remote start and proximity locks and generally all functions other than using the key are more functional.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Actually remote start and proximity locks and generally all functions other than using the key are more functional.
More functional than what? Look at the top key fob in the picture above. We’ve had those features on vehicles for a long time now, with the exception of the proximity entry which I can’t speak to. The buttons on the JL fob just look like they were designed for the elderly. Huge.

Also, the majority of JL’s don’t have proximity entry.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Looks like AJT design is working on a smaller key fob with the physical key that is stash inside the the fob.

Looks like it should be here in Feb and looking at other products they sale should be like 35 bucks.
My emails with Mr Truckey (AJT: Adam J. Truckey) have me conclude him to be a smart/good guy.

I trust it isn't lost on him the irony that a man whose last name is "Truckey" makes "truck keys." :)

Sponsored