Sponsored

Adding a house key into JL key fob

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
I just checked, the good ones from Schlage or similar go for about $500 for the kit, and thats a grade 1 security level
Just remember its all just to keep the honest people out. Check out the Lock Picking Lawyer on youtube to show just how useless the "smart" locks are on top of a regular one.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I keep the 3 or 4 keys I need on a separate ring. My fobs never have keys attached. That way, all I need when I switch vehicles is the fob for it, not all the extra stuff attached to it.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Just remember its all just to keep the honest people out. Check out the Lock Picking Lawyer on youtube to show just how useless the "smart" locks are on top of a regular one.
They have the exact same lock cylinder internals, they’re just easier to get into for the user.

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
They have the exact same lock cylinder internals, they’re just easier to get into for the user.
There are quite a few that a strong magnet will unlock it. So simper for the user and anyone that really wants in.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

If you're trying to condense your current setup (fob + house key), you might instead look at @Threedom to just reduce the size of the fob. Likely easier/cheaper/more reliable than trying to integrate a house key into your fob.

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
I 3D printed my own slimmed down version of the keyfob (holy PITA to design, Batman!) and put the physical key in a drawer. The first time I used the slim fob my Wife wanted to lock something up in the glovebox. :facepalm:

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I am on the keyless bandwagon. Five years since I moved and I have never used a key. I can leave town and send someone a key to let the dogs out, give a housekeeper a key, etc. I get notifications, can allow only at certain times, etc etc. They only worry is a power outage. For that, I have a garage opener with battery backup if the solar isn't keeping up.

RubiRedToni

First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubicon
As a former locksmith for 25 years, this would be a simple task. First drive out the roll pin that is holding the Jeep blade to the remote. Then trace the part of the blade that is hooked into the remote on to your house key and trim off the extra metal from the house key with a Dremel tool. And then just put the cut up house key where the Jeep key was and hammer the roll pin back in.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wicked_JL

Wicked_JL

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR + half doors
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
If you're trying to condense your current setup (fob + house key), you might instead look at @Threedom to just reduce the size of the fob. Likely easier/cheaper/more reliable than trying to integrate a house key into your fob.
Those are nice too, i looked into those smaller fobs, if my current pursuit doesn't work then thats the next best thing, either that or a keyless entry system for the house

OP
OP
Wicked_JL

Wicked_JL

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR + half doors
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
As a former locksmith for 25 years, this would be a simple task. First drive out the roll pin that is holding the Jeep blade to the remote. Then trace the part of the blade that is hooked into the remote on to your house key and trim off the extra metal from the house key with a Dremel tool. And then just put the cut up house key where the Jeep key was and hammer the roll pin back in.
This is the exact reply i was looking for. thank you :D
So you are saying i wont even need to weld anything... interesting!
Issue is, the JL fob blade is thick, the kwikset house key is thin, not sure it will be held properly by the pin, but i will give it a try once i get the blank JL blade

RubiRedToni

First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubicon
You won't be able to "weld" anything since the keys are made of brass. You may have to get some brass shim stock from your local hardware store to make up any difference in thickness between the key heights.
Sponsored