Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Per a request a while back from @MrMischief here is a rundown of how I have done my fender mounted gas can holder.

Let me just start real quick by saying sorry! Truly this is an incomplete install walk through. If I done this walk through when I originally installed it or if I had any of my original photos from the install, this would be a lot easier to portray. But because I can't even show you how I did the first few steps of lining up the holes marking them and drilling them, you're going to have to use a little imagination here, and I'm sorry for that, but it is what it is.

To start, you need to buy a fuel can holder. I had mine ordered from a local off-roading shop, but you can buy them on Amazon as well.
Smittybilt Jerry Gas Can Holder (Black) - 2798

Next you need a fuel canister which fits into that holder. At the time I found that Harbor Freight had the best prices.
MIDWEST CAN 5 Gallon Jerry Gas Can

Now it's time to drill some holes in your Wrangler. I started by lining up the gas can holder with the front fender about where I wanted it to be. And marked through the holes (on the Jerry can mount) with a marker. There is a dip in the front fender which makes pretty much everything involved here complicated. I figured out much later that it would have been better to just worry about the three holes that are on an even level first, and once all of them are rigged up and done, then worry about the hole which is lower than the rest.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder IMG_20230511_155320976

My first attempt to do this did not involve nutserts, I made the mistake of trying to get a nut behind the fender and it involved taking out a bunch of screws and which would have made the fixture a permanent one because of how complicated it would be to undo the bolts.

I don't know at what point exactly I figured out nutserts would work best, but that's what I ended up doing.

There is however on the right top hole that I drilled, a layer of two metals together.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder Screenshot_20230511-195622-710

In this one section for whatever reason it seems like the more interior metal will be in the way, but once you have the nutsert tightened down, there's actually enough space where they don't rub at all.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder IMG_20230511_155838767
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder IMG_20230511_155828160

I tried to get a photo of the nutserts to show you that there is in fact space down there where they won't rub on anything.

So yeah basically line up your holes and then mark them with the marker, and then drill your holes, and then put your nutserts in there. I believe I used a M8 thread. You definitely want to use something that's a little thicker, because this section of the fender does flex a fair amount. So you want something that isn't going to get stripped or break easily.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder IMG_20230511_155205233

Once you get all of your holes drilled and your nutserts in, you'll want to get stainless steel screws for attaching the holder. The three shorter screws are for the section of the fender that are all on an even plane. The one that's a little bit longer is for the bottom left side screw (If driver side).

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder IMG_20230511_171914475

You could probably just get a spacer from your local tool shop and put it in between the gas can and the fender where the long screw is at. At first I ran without anything there and the flex I was getting out of the fender and the gas can was ridiculous. It was basically bouncing all the way down the road. I thought it was going to tear my fender off. I was thinking about doing a spacer at the time, but this extra nutsert was the perfect size and looking back on it the fact that it screws onto the long bolt instead of floating on it like a spacer would, means I have zero rattle from this gas can mount.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder IMG_20230511_155107028

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder IMG_20230511_172155253

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder IMG_20230511_154808859

One of the things I found very important to be aware of is that you have to be able to get a socket in between the metal to tighten down these bolts. I found a m10 bolt head was the perfect fit not too big, not too small. I use a deep socket to make sure I have plenty of space to maneuver when I'm taking these off or tightening them down.

Something else to be aware of is that because the front fender is not perfectly flat, one of my nutserts is at a slight angle. Because of this I have to slowly tighten down all the bolts together. Basically if I just do the top two bolts, and then try to screw in the bottom two bolts, the bottom right bolt won't thread at all. I figured out a while ago that it's because that nutsert is at a slight angle. Rather annoying but an easy fix. Just tighten them down a little bit at a time around in a circle. Eventually you'll get them all tightened down and everything will be perfect

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder IMG_20230511_154742719

You don't have to do a plastic base like I did if you still have your front fender flares. I don't have my fender flares in the front, so I have a lot of rocks and mud and debris which flies up and I didn't want any of that damaging my fuel canister.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder IMG_20230511_154507432

And that's that, it holds 5 gallons of diesel fuel and I haven't had any issues with it for the last year and a half that I've had it on there. I did however leave it off at this moment because I need to do a nice coating on my jerry can't holder because after a year and a half of being in the weather, it's starting to have some rust on it. Nothing at coating of truck bed liner won't fix!
Sponsored

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, that is a very thin panel to hang all that weight. I've seen old Willys Jeeps with fuel cans hung that way. They had much heavy gauge body panels and they where always fatigued and cracked.
I was thinking the same thing, that's a lot of trust to be putting into 4 small nutserts in sheet metal.

I think what I would do instead is take 2 pieces of bar stock, drill and tap 2 holes in each one, and put those behind the body metal. Distribute the weight across a substantially larger surface area. It's not too late for OP to do that, can re-use the same holes, just have to take out the nutserts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tredsdert

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
😮 what does it feel like to drill into the bodywork like that
Makes you feel like a man!!! Also makes your Jeep depreciate like crazy!

It's been a while since I counted how many holes I've drilled into my Jeep, so I just did a walk around... Exactly 30 holes drilled into my Jeep in various places at this moment. More to come to, I've got other projects that involve holes, namely in the front window frame (I want to put a JK mod on my front windshield, but the JL doesn't have the holes necessary, So I'm going to make my own!)

Not to detract from the thread, but here's some pictures of the carnage I've done to my Wrangler.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder Screenshot_20230512-191203-044
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder Screenshot_20230512-190612-885
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder Screenshot_20230512-190736-535
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder Screenshot_20230512-190212-595
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder Screenshot_20230512-190922-797
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder Screenshot_20230512-190009-319
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder Screenshot_20230512-185905-127
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder Screenshot_20230512-185618-715
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder Screenshot_20230512-185702-844
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder IMG_20230512_184605069
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder Screenshot_20230512-192152-025

OP
OP
Tredsdert

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Wow, that is a very thin panel to hang all that weight. I've seen old Willys Jeeps with fuel cans hung that way. They had much heavy gauge body panels and they where always fatigued and cracked.
I was thinking the same thing, that's a lot of trust to be putting into 4 small nutserts in sheet metal.

I think what I would do instead is take 2 pieces of bar stock, drill and tap 2 holes in each one, and put those behind the body metal. Distribute the weight across a substantially larger surface area. It's not too late for OP to do that, can re-use the same holes, just have to take out the nutserts.
Yeah I thought the same thing at first, but I was honestly pretty surprised once I finished The project how little movement there is from the gas can on the fender.

You got to understand too... The top two nutserts/connection points are the most secure points on the fender for this holder specifically. There's literally zero flex on the upper two bolts of this holder I've installed. So that being said the only flex you get is on the lower two bolts, and even then the lower left bolt (the one with the spacer) has the most flex. The lower right bolt because of where situated does have some flex, but significantly less than the lower left.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder Screenshot_20230512-193300-593

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder Screenshot_20230512-192824-060
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder Screenshot_20230512-192701-607

Sponsored

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I thought the same thing at first, but I was honestly pretty surprised once I finished The project how little movement there is from the gas can on the fender.

You got to understand too... The top two nutserts/connection points are the most secure points on the fender for this holder specifically. There's literally zero flex on the upper two bolts of this holder I've installed. So that being said the only flex you get is on the lower two bolts, and even then the lower left bolt (the one with the spacer) has the most flex. The lower right bolt because of where situated does have some flex, but significantly less than the lower left.

It's not flex I'm worried about though, I'm worried about the nutserts just pulling right out

OP
OP
Tredsdert

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
It's not flex I'm worried about though, I'm worried about the nutserts just pulling right out
Honestly the only way I would see those nutserts getting pulled out is if they warped the aluminum fender itself. These are stainless steel nutserts that I bought a long time ago. So it's not like they're going to rust or anything.

Also you have to figure, the force on the fender is downward toward the ground. It's not like it's pulling hard away from the vehicle on corners or anything. The only place there could possibly be outward force that might rip the nutserts out is on the lower holes with that flex. But even then, if you install them correctly, they're not going to rip out.

Have you ever used nutserts yourself?

I don't know the dimensions when they compress. But there's definitely a lot of metal backing up way bigger than the hole I drilled into the fender.

Honestly the only thing I'm ever actually worried about using nutserts is over tightening the bolts I put into them and then they start spinning. If they start spinning it's almost worse than them coming out. If they come out, half the work is already done for you. But if they start spinning you have to drill them out. Definitely not something I look forward to.

Honestly a lot of times I'll put red loctite or clear coat on the nutserts before I tighten them down. I'm not sure if it actually helps them from spinning, but I like to think it does.

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly the only way I would see those nutserts getting pulled out is if they warped the aluminum fender itself. These are stainless steel nutserts that I bought a long time ago. So it's not like they're going to rust or anything.

Also you have to figure, the force on the fender is downward toward the ground. It's not like it's pulling hard away from the vehicle on corners or anything. The only place there could possibly be outward force that might rip the nutserts out is on the lower holes with that flex. But even then, if you install them correctly, they're not going to rip out.

Have you ever used nutserts yourself?

I don't know the dimensions when they compress. But there's definitely a lot of metal backing up way bigger than the hole I drilled into the fender.

Honestly the only thing I'm ever actually worried about using nutserts is over tightening the bolts I put into them and then they start spinning. If they start spinning it's almost worse than them coming out. If they come out, half the work is already done for you. But if they start spinning you have to drill them out. Definitely not something I look forward to.

Honestly a lot of times I'll put red loctite or clear coat on the nutserts before I tighten them down. I'm not sure if it actually helps them from spinning, but I like to think it does.
Nutserts usually expand to about the same as the diameter of the flange. I do use them quite a bit, mostly at work but sometimes on my cars. Glad you used steel ones, the aluminum ones are trash. You're probably good, I have a tendency to overthink and over engineer things haha. I like the way the can looks on your fender!

OP
OP
Tredsdert

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Nutserts usually expand to about the same as the diameter of the flange. I do use them quite a bit, mostly at work but sometimes on my cars. Glad you used steel ones, the aluminum ones are trash. You're probably good, I have a tendency to overthink and over engineer things haha. I like the way the can looks on your fender!
Nah man, that's completely understandable. I have a lot of appreciation for people who put a lot of time and effort into the work they do.

As you can see from my work on my Wrangler, there's a lot of thought that goes into it but the work is kind of just like "f**k it, if it works it works".

The Chubbernaut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Occupation
Substance Abuse Counselor
Clubs

Makes you feel like a man!!! Also makes your Jeep depreciate like crazy!

It's been a while since I counted how many holes I've drilled into my Jeep, so I just did a walk around... Exactly 30 holes drilled into my Jeep in various places at this moment. More to come to, I've got other projects that involve holes, namely in the front window frame (I want to put a JK mod on my front windshield, but the JL doesn't have the holes necessary, So I'm going to make my own!)

Not to detract from the thread, but here's some pictures of the carnage I've done to my Wrangler.

I feel like these pictures should have a montage with a suitable Sarah McLachlan song playing over them.

Sponsored

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I’m surprised you didn’t put the top bolts on the OEM cowl bolt holes. They are close to the door hinge but they would be super strong. Could’ve made a bracket or something.

OP
OP
Tredsdert

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I’m surprised you didn’t put the top bolts on the OEM cowl bolt holes. They are close to the door hinge but they would be super strong. Could’ve made a bracket or something.
The thought had definitely gone through my mind.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder IMG_20230514_092206002

If I had done a direct bolting to the cowl, (like you said) it would have obstructed the driver's door.

I didn't want to design a bracket myself, mostly because I felt building a bracket from scratch was going to be more complicated than I wanted it to be. I could definitely have bolted together a bracket, and it would have been fairly secure, but it would have had too many moving parts. I don't have the tools, nor does my dad's workshop (and he has significantly more tools than I do, and better ones too) to bend metal in such a way that I would feel it was safe and secure to hold a 35 lb fuel tank. Paying someone to design a bracket is out of the question for me in the projects of mine that are DIY, because at that point they're no longer DIY. They're pay someone to make a product for you, also that gets very expensive very quick.

It's also worth noting that I completed this project in March of 2022. At the time there was nothing available on the market for the JL's which fit on the front driver side fender.

The only product that I could find was for the JKs.
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder Screenshot_20230514-100403-102

And while I figured out that I could make it work, I didn't like how open air it was, and how expensive it was. At the time it was about $150. I completed my entire project for about $80 not including the fuel can (which I already had).

Also I would be relying on straps to keep the Jerry can in place. With the smittybilt holder I have, it has steel wrapping around the gas can. I just felt like it was a lot more secure.
So once I purchased it, it became a project of "How do I make this work?"

MORide has since released a JL version of that front fender mounted jury can't holder, however the bracket is MASSIVE, and way to obnoxiously large for my tastes. Also it's almost $200!!!
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder Screenshot_20230514-101106-076

($80? $200? $80? $200? Tough choice!)

OP
OP
Tredsdert

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder IMG_20230527_113827120
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder IMG_20230527_113808415
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder IMG_20230527_114239337
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder IMG_20230527_114251483
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder IMG_20230527_120905993
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder IMG_20230527_120910201

The Jerry can paint job came out pretty well I feel like. I'm going to let it dry for 2 days now before I put it back on the Jeep. Also the mount I painted in truck bed liner has been holding up pretty well for the last week and a half. Go through rain and a bit of dirt and gravel road driving I enjoy doing couple times a week.

OP
OP
Tredsdert

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
There you go, finished product!!

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder IMG_20230529_102438535
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder IMG_20230529_102417901
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender Mounted Fuel Can Holder IMG_20230529_102411657

It definitely adds some pizzazz, alright!

I'd even go as far as to say gives it a little sex appeal! 🤔 🔥 🔥 🔥
Sponsored