Rsurferz

First Name
Denial
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler 2012
Hi there

I am planning to buy my new wrangler before the end of this year, thinking to get the Sport model 4-doors, but very confused about the exterior color. I would like to hear your opinions and preferences to help me choose better. I am a 40-year-old Male and want to use the Wrangler for casual use.

Colors: Sting-Gray, Sarge Green, Billet Silver, or Granite Crystal.

I feel the Granite might be too dark though.

thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have granite and love it. Sting would be my second choice. Cheers

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum!

Color is a very personal choice.

I’d pick Sarge just because any Jeep looks totally bitching in green.

Good luck.

PS - my understanding is Billet and Granite cannot be ordered any more.

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
I can't decide between granite or sting gray either ..

Sponsored

Martial Fartist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Never even bothered to look at snazzberry until I saw one in person.
I was leaning towards black, until I saw a snazz on the lot.
The web photos don’t do these colors justice. Gotta head to the lot and see for real.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I thought Billet Silver was discontinued.

I have Granite Crystal, so I'm partial to that. To me it looks different depending on the lighting conditions. Sting Gray would be my second choice.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I know people say basic colors like black, silver, red, white, etc. are boring, but those also help (slightly) with resale compared to more extravagant colors. That said, of your 4 choices, I'd do Sarge Green basically for the reason @aldo98229 stated. I think that should be the "defining color" for the Wrangler given its military roots.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
You can’t get Billet, so that’s out.

Granite is a good looking color but so very predictable and common.

Sting Gray is a flat color without any metal flake. Keep that in mind w/r/t scratches and swirls. They’ll show more than on a metallic. That said, it‘s a very interesting color in person.

Sarge looks VERY different depending on the lighting. I heard once that it has some bronze flakes in it, but haven’t seen that confirmed. It mostly looks flat like Sting.

I like bright colors, so none of the ones you listed interest me a whole lot. But if it can’t be bright, I’d prefer it be interesting. That rules out Granite.

Can’t go wrong with Sarge or Sting, IMO.

Deleted member 59498

I have sarge and love it, but my second would be Stingray it looks really awesome if you black it out a bit the black and grey go very well together. The Willys stingray with the black lettering looks really good to me and black wheels and top.

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

You can’t get Billet, so that’s out.

Granite is a good looking color but so very predictable and common.

Sting Gray is a flat color without any metal flake. Keep that in mind w/r/t scratches and swirls. They’ll show more than on a metallic. That said, it‘s a very interesting color in person.

Sarge looks VERY different depending on the lighting. I heard once that it has some bronze flakes in it, but haven’t seen that confirmed. It mostly looks flat like Sting.

I like bright colors, so none of the ones you listed interest me a whole lot. But if it can’t be bright, I’d prefer it be interesting. That rules out Granite.

Can’t go wrong with Sarge or Sting, IMO.

Haven't noticed any bronze flakes but will look closer if I ever see the sun again!

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I'd never choose a vehicle color solely for resale value, I just happen to get lucky that I have always loved Black on Yellow.

I'll tell you if I like it in person, if I ever get mine.

I luv the Chief Blue too.

20210903_110144.jpg

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Great advice thus far.

I'll 100% agree that you need to see these colors - even the ones you don't think you'd like - IRL on the lot. Hydro Blue and Snazzberry both look like hot garbage on the online build tool. Snazz looks more pink and Hydro looks like sky blue. IRL both are actually much deeper, and really great colors.

The Jeep community is weird (to me) in that they seem to love these "Skittles" colors like Nacho, Mojito, Gecko, Tuscadero, etc. Absolutely not for me. Just too damn loud for a car color.

My original choice was Crystal Granite - it's a fine color, looks great IRL, etc. However, I knew I wanted to do some fun mods to it, and the color scheme would be blue (build a Crystal Granite 4xe Rubicon to get an idea of my desired color scheme). It would look awesome, but the challenge is, I'd have to paint match and/or powdercoat EVERYTHING I put on the Jeep, and try to get it all to match. That's a big hassle.

I saw Hydro Blue in person a few times, and ultimately decided on that. It's a little loud for my tastes, but when it's surrounded by copious amounts of black, it actually looks really sweet. And black stuff is the easiest to get - no paint matching or powdercoating needed for the majority of stuff you get. The black really tones the blue down quite a bit.

I'm also going to recommend that you spend an afternoon clicking through the "Show-and-Tell" subforum: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/show-tell-jl-wrangler-photos-videos.39/

Each color has a dedicated thread with REAL-LIFE photos of Jeeps in that color - a much more accurate representation of what that color will look like on YOUR Jeep (as opposed to the online build tool).

I've always had more subdued colors on my vehicles, and if Jeep had kept the Rhino color from 2017-2018 around, I'd have one of those. But I really, really love my Hydro Blue now.

Jeep Wrangler JL Exterior Color Selection 20210814_104949

jparty1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JGC
Hi there

I am planning to buy my new wrangler before the end of this year, thinking to get the Sport model 4-doors, but very confused about the exterior color. I would like to hear your opinions and preferences to help me choose better. I am a 40-year-old Male and want to use the Wrangler for casual use.

Colors: Sting-Gray, Sarge Green, Billet Silver, or Granite Crystal.

I feel the Granite might be too dark though.

thanks
I am in the exact same boat. I have not ordered, so I can't share my final decision but here's where I'm at...

Granite, like other colors, changes drastically in different lighting. Love it in daylight, but it's a little too dark for my liking in dim lighting (almost looks black).
Sting is cool, but I'm not crazy about the "flat" finish.
I love Sarge, but I want a Rubicon and do not like the red accents on green (I think Christmas). Some people have replaced all the red accents, but replacing seat leather and the steering wheel seems like an expensive project.
Billet was my first choice, but is not currently available. This is the only reason I am not currently driving a Wrangler. I'm waiting to see if MY'22 brings any new or returning colors that I like.

There are other colors that I would order (Bikini, Mojito, or Punkn), if available, except IMO all the red Rubicon accents clash with non-neutral colors.
Sponsored