Exploding windows

612Mpls

First Name
D.S.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JL
? crazy and wild…never in my life have I heard of this being a thing. Interesting that it’s only the passenger side so far
maybe because it's only on the passenger side could indicate that's where someone could be hitting the vehicle with a projectile. Vehicle going in the same direction, wonder if it's in the same area. Other than that, I know a chip can cause stress in glass. In the '80's I worked as an auto dismantler, and witnessed what can happen to auto glass from stress. One of the techs took a cut off wheel that we used for cutting exhaust pipes. He got that little grinding wheel spinning and held it on the rear window of a car, just a couple inches from the corner. Pressed the grinding wheel on the glass, and made a shallow groove, and we stepped back, and just a few seconds later the whole window shattered into hundreds of tiny pieces, and still stayed in it's frame. Fun to do. So is vandalism for some people. Never heard of a window failing at random.
Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
No clue about your specific situation OP but maladjusted regulator and slides are the usual culprit for spontaneous tempered glass failures.

NWJeepr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR
My driveway is gravel. KO2's love to eat rocks and then spit them out when I get up to highway speed. Hear them hit the side of the rig occasionally, lucky I haven't busted a window yet. Can't speak for people who tailgate though.

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
This happened to me last month. I called my insurance agent and asked her if I am covered and if windows just explode like mine did. She said “You live in the Bay Area? Yes it happens a lot actually out there. You were shot at. No it’s not covered.”

Sponsored

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Wait what? Accidents happen a lot there too, let me guess, that ain’t covered as well? Insurance fraud isn’t just committed by the one paying the premiums. I’d escalate that higher than a giraffe’s butt. Everyone has a boss…..

OP
OP

sweetjen73

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler
Thanks again for the input everyone. I will be pursuing this with Jeep and if and when I get an answer I will be sure to share the outcome. Just hoping it doesn’t happen again or to anyone else.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
@sweetjen73 didn't ask if it has happened to anyone else and you didn't reply to that question with "No."???

Maybe I need to have my glasses checked?

1000009717.png
I think you need something checked.

I replied no. To what I could know.
Which is my experience only.

No one, can reply to anything, presuming that they have knowledge of everyone.

Did I step on your toe by mistake?

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I think you need something checked.

I replied no. To what I could know.
Which is my experience only.

No one, can reply to anything, presuming that they have knowledge of everyone.

Did I step on your toe by mistake?
You said it hadn't happened to anyone else. That's obviously incorrect.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
You said it hadn't happened to anyone else. That's obviously incorrect.
I answered for me.

You interpreted my response as applying to every entity in the universe.
Which I did not intend.

My bad. I'll spell it out more clearly.

What I intended.
No, based on my experience. Not to me. Might have happened to someone else. Consider my response as a single data point in a poll of n responses. This is an Internet forum. My vote/comment is worth 0.0001, at best. On a good day. Probably less.

Sponsored

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
I have a 2023 Jeep Wrangler. In October, I closed my jeeps passenger side door and the back side window exploded. Had it replaced for $500 and was told that something probably hit it first. Was driving on Wednesday of this week (6 months later) on the highway and for no reason, my front seat passenger window exploded! When I say no reason, it was 60 degrees and I was driving 65-70 mph, and not much traffic. I had to pull over because I was covered in glass! $500 again! I have contacted Jeep Wave and they said they never heard of this but they will investigate. I have read several posts on here regarding exploding windows. Yet, the people at Jeep are saying they’ve never heard of this happening. This is a SERIOUS safety concern. Has this happened to anyone else?
Is your pressure relief mechanism in the tailgate still in place and unobstructed both inside and outside?

This would fully explain your issues 100%. (coming from an Automotive interior engineer).

If, for example you had a spare tire delete kit, which had a solid plate in place of the vent, and were running a well sealed hard top, there is no where for the air to go. Same if you were running (some types) of rear tailgate mods like tables n such. The air has to get through the tailgate and out the Jeep.

The fact that this happened twice is very telling.

Bobby Hank

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Wrangler Rubicon X 2D
Occupation
Educator
#newfearunlocked

I guess this justifies me constantly having my windows down. They can clean the shattered glass in the garage instead of me pulling it out of my skin ...

Maybe they can add this to the bill as another reason to legalize doorless Jeeps in Pennsylvania ;)
It's illegal to drive with your doors off in Pennsylvania? Does that include off-road too?

ArcadeTracks

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Rubicon. 2dr Soft Top. 2.0L Turbo, Auto, Stock
It's illegal to drive with your doors off in Pennsylvania? Does that include off-road too?
I think you can do anything on private property (Like letting your 10 year old drive a pickup truck on your family's farmland) but I don't actually know that for sure. So it might depend on the rules, not laws, of the off-road place. (I could also be completely wrong. You're not allowed to do other "illegal" things just because it's private property.)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/pa-jeepers-be-warned-you-can-get-fined.7231/

DUCK01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Sport, 2022 Bronco Basequatch
I remember the thread linked above and have seen it discussed on the B6G forums, as well. The consensus seems to be that sometimes the glass isn't tempered properly and holds stress that can lead to spontaneous failure. Both of the below were parked in a garage and exploded outward.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/rear-window-explodes-no-clue-why.90395/
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/back-hard-top-window-randomly-broke.68411/
I've read about it happening to sunroofs and the back glass on F150s, as well.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I remember the thread linked above and have seen it discussed on the B6G forums, as well. The consensus seems to be that sometimes the glass isn't tempered properly and holds stress that can lead to spontaneous failure. Both of the below were parked in a garage and exploded outward.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/rear-window-explodes-no-clue-why.90395/
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/back-hard-top-window-randomly-broke.68411/
I've read about it happening to sunroofs and the back glass on F150s, as well.
Lots of people here are in denial that it happens. It happened several years ago to my ex's Subaru when a freak change of weather drastically dropped the ambient air pressure.

It'd be awesome if @sweetjen73 would tell us if the pressure relief thing in the tailgate was somehow blocked. Maybe there's a tailgate table or something similar blocking it?
Sponsored