JL Wrangler

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
OMG, please, for the love of everything holy, please let's don't start this again! :punch: "This" is the argument of does the manual say we have to remove our windows in order to use the sunrider position :headbang:

Just be safe. Enjoy your Jeep. Leave your windows in or take them out. Just be sure to properly reinstall them. Enjoy the beautiful weather and the awesome Jeep:like:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Jerry, you are absolutely right that the recall expressly states that Sunrider Position need not involve removal of any of the 3 soft windows. It's on the bottom rectangular section of the second page, second bullet item on the left, in black and white, clear as day, and just as you said and included a picture of...

And you may also very well be right that this "recall" was in response to all the chatter here on the forum about this subject matter....but

(take a breath)

.....along with this bullet point, several rows down is a disclaimer implying that this very document is incomplete and that the Owner's Manual should be the source for complete details.

I don't care what anyone does. Further, I keep my windows in. But this card you refer to does not replace the owner's manual.

We know this not only from the disclaimer I cite, but the other 8 page booklet/documentation that came (at least with my) recall that expressly says that this 8 page booklet IS an addendum to the Owner's Manual, in no place saying that you should refer to the owner's manual for complete details, but rather that this 8 page addendum IS the new (freakin') owner's manual on this subject--which doesn't seem to have the same information as the 2 sided card you and I (initially) refer to--I think...please show me otherwise--I'd be thrilled.

At this point, let's just hope nobody gets hurt. That's always the important thing and I think by far the actual scenario.

Still more, who knows, if the injured litigate FCA, how the courts (who have jurors that often aren't 100% objective because they're human) will decide. In fact I hope it would be against FCA who seems to endorse leaving the windows in as you've pointed out.

But what you, I, and everyone else thinks is or should be the case ***may*** (or may not I hope) find that disclaimer to be FCA's "get out of jail free card" to get around paying a settlement, or a large one on such matters. Law may (although I doubt and hope not) find that the card you refer to could, for argument's sake and hypothetically, expressly endorse "standing up in the rig while going under a 6' underpass," advice near certain to "end badly," and still indemnify FCA because of this disclaimer--should the Owner's Manual not also stipulate such reckless behavior.

You would agree that FCA put that disclaimer there for a reason Jer..right?

Please, lets leave this a "you're right Jer." I hope you are. I hope my theories are wrong. I want them to be and would not be shocked to find that they're wrong.

That would be fair and just, which the law is suppose to be but sometimes isn't, or appears not to be based on circumstances we don't appreciate that the courts have had to deal with in past cases, and the need for such decisions to remain to be the case in the interest of keeping the law stable, if not static, barring truly new circumstances never before considered or conceived of.

I beg for not another drawn out "who is right" thread on this topic. I hope everyone respects opinion, and realizes I don't endorse indemnifying FCA here, and hope (and believe) it doesn't, but it might, at least in part.
Oh, boy. Looks like @Rahneld changed his handle to @Gee-pah.

Here we go, again
. Time to update my ignore list.

upload_2020-5-7_14-25-16.jpeg

upload_2020-5-7_14-25-29.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Oh, boy. Looks like @Rahneld changed his handle to @Gee-pah.

Here we go, again
. Time to update my ignore list.

upload_2020-5-7_14-25-16.jpeg

upload_2020-5-7_14-25-29.jpeg
So let me see if I've got your wrong theory understood. They guy I use to be, according to you, and from what I've read, has got his arms all around the issue of soft windows in or out with tops open, but

to keep my cover,
under my new, echem, alias (not),
I play dumb with my initial post and pretend I don't know what the recall's about.

Wow. I wish I was that smart. Better, in my "former life" I felt strongly about FCA being protected from law suits, where here, I neither know nor care.

Please, with my blessing, ignore my posts. It seems best for both of us.

It would seem I should try to hack into the old account (not) so as to make "Bruce Wayne and Batman" be seen at the same place and time.

I would imagine (I don't know) many accounts open here every day, some not even bots. But the matching dates---yeah, it was me in the "grassy knoll" for Kennedy. Good work.!

Wait--you're also this @Rhinebeck01 guy who's tag said he's quit the forum, but likes posts...? I think I'm catching on.

This post, your post: waste. Ignore on your own time.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
upload_2020-5-7_23-50-54.png
upload_2020-5-7_23-50-9.png

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I wish the recall stated what the f people were doing wrong so I don't do that too. All I see in the addendum is everything the installation instructions that came with my top already pictographed.

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I wish the recall stated what the f people were doing wrong so I don't do that too. All I see in the addendum is everything the installation instructions that came with my top already pictographed.
Agreed, they left out some useful info.

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
@nerubi Mike--I'm including you here because I think, from another thread, you got this taken care of at the dealer while there for other things just recently and might be able to respond to this:

Today I received a recall notice from FCA on my 2018 Sahara JL regarding how my rear quarter windows vertical retainer may not be property installed to the door rail.

I must have taken my stupid pills.

What is this--what does it mean? ….vertical retainers...things that prevent things from changing their position with respect to the ground, right?

Could someone explain to me what the issue is better than FCA seems to have. Or maybe it's not FCA, maybe it's me.

Thanks.

Vertical would mean "up and down", horizontal would mean "level with the ground". I wasn't aware the Jeep came with vertical retainers " slide in from the top and secure.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Wait, do you mean everyone reads and follows instructions? I think not. You can follow the instructions and may still have an issue under certain conditions. With the back end sealed (top up windows in) and air rushing in through the sunrider or windows it has to go somewhere. Some people report the bottom clips of the side windows may pop out to relieve the pressure. Others say the entire window blows out. Some have no problems.

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
@nerubi Mike--I'm including you here because I think, from another thread, you got this taken care of at the dealer while there for other things just recently and might be able to respond to this:

Today I received a recall notice from FCA on my 2018 Sahara JL regarding how my rear quarter windows vertical retainer may not be property installed to the door rail.

I must have taken my stupid pills.

What is this--what does it mean? ….vertical retainers...things that prevent things from changing their position with respect to the ground, right?

Could someone explain to me what the issue is better than FCA seems to have. Or maybe it's not FCA, maybe it's me.

Thanks.
I Received the new guidelines from FCA the other day. Unfortunately I had to
learn the hard way to install these windows (all including rear with the removal of the bar which attaches to the tail section), as well as lowering the top. I read their new
release and I would recommend everyone to throw out the old, which were
provided with your new vehicle. Even the simple thing (Old manual) about relocking
after the top is raised. Serves no purpose, but if you forget to unlock when you start
to lower the top, it will bend the steel side supports which jeep may replace under
warranty, but maybe not, since you have been informed.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Just wondering about the pressure build up...isn't that why there's a black slatted feature in the tailgate under the spare? you would think that would prevent pressure build up! I know it is there for when you are closing the tailgate and the hardtop is on...why wouldn't that also help with soft top pressure?

BasherXt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Rubicon on order
I hate to resurrect an old post but for the life of me this is driving me nuts.
I have yet to open the soft top, remove the windows or anything. But I’m having a problem with the drivers side rear window (2 door) start falling off the ‘c’ channel from the top attachment point. Like the female part has widened and is no longer holding it in. Since never removing or opening any of the soft top, I followed the updated version posted here and it still falls out.
anyone else?

gburchett

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JLR, Sting-Gray, ‘15 Ford Fusion, ‘16 F450
I hate to resurrect an old post but for the life of me this is driving me nuts.
I have yet to open the soft top, remove the windows or anything. But I’m having a problem with the drivers side rear window (2 door) start falling off the ‘c’ channel from the top attachment point. Like the female part has widened and is no longer holding it in. Since never removing or opening any of the soft top, I followed the updated version posted here and it still falls out.
anyone else?
im having the same problem not too. Jeeps not even a year old. Taking to dealer next week.
Sponsored