Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
@nerubi Mike--I'm including you here because I think, from another thread, you got this taken care of at the dealer while there for other things just recently and might be able to respond to this:

Today I received a recall notice from FCA on my 2018 Sahara JL regarding how my rear quarter windows vertical retainer may not be property installed to the door rail.

I must have taken my stupid pills.

What is this--what does it mean? ….vertical retainers...things that prevent things from changing their position with respect to the ground, right?

Could someone explain to me what the issue is better than FCA seems to have. Or maybe it's not FCA, maybe it's me.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
It was an addendum to your manual! I think the manual either did/did not include statements about window removal and installation. I didn't look to closely at it because at the time did not have my soft top...since then I have purchased one but still have not installed. Look at your manual on installing soft windows ...there are a few pages that this replaces!

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Some people have had their soft top windows pop out at highway speed with windows or Sunrider open. It appears Jeep decided they weren't being installed properly so they just copied the installation instructions emphasizing the side windows vertical flange seating into the the channel. For 2020 they changed the color of the flanges to green maybe to be seen easier if not seated completely. Some think they are a little thicker to hold better. On mine they fit well to tight. Some say the side window lower flange pops out a little to relieve the pressure. Rumors are some can get a new set under warranty but my dealer said only if Jeep authoruzed could they do it and none of their customers have said they have a problem.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Wow, you just got yours today? I got mine 2 weeks ago. Of course, I'm just a few hours from the Toledo. Yep, it's basically saying "OK, this is how you properly install your window panels".

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I wonder when they made the change to the green tabs? I originally bought a hardtop only, but then decided to buy a Mopar soft top last September. It has the green tabs.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
So what if any dealership involvement is there on this “recall?”

Are they checking the windows?..taking the rig out for speed tests...?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Nothing they can do. They give you the addendum and mark it complete.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL

I think the only dealer involvement is if you paid to replace your top. At least, that's how I read the letter. It's simply supplemental paperwork. It's a CYA from FCA:like:

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
I’m confused now with the recall. I got a text message from my dealership notifying me there was a recall for my quarter panel windows. Makes sense for a soft top, but I’ve got the hard top. Hmmm guess I’ll be calling them tomorrow. Lol

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I’m confused now with the recall. I got a text message from my dealership notifying me there was a recall for my quarter panel windows. Makes sense for a soft top, but I’ve got the hard top. Hmmm guess I’ll be calling them tomorrow. Lol
I wonder Todd if your dealership is using the recall as a pretext to have you bring the rig in so they can see what other things they can do for profit on it, from State Inspections, to oil changes to recalls that FCA pays them for......

Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Its getting sent to all owners regardless of top style. Its just an insert in the owners manual. Soft tops get an additional placard that the hard tops don't. Its all done through the mail and you should not have to go to the dealer.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Its getting sent to all owners regardless of top style. Its just an insert in the owners manual. Soft tops get an additional placard that the hard tops don't. Its all done through the mail and you should not have to go to the dealer.
I hear this Bryce...thanks. It just seems that FCA used their recall infrastructure communication mechanisms to alert owners of this. And when we think recall, we think parts replacement, often dealer required.....:)

Since dealers are usually required to effect all recalls prior to the sale of a new rig, maybe this was FCA management's way of making sure something was looked at before releasing a new rig to the public.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
@nerubi Mike--I'm including you here because I think, from another thread, you got this taken care of at the dealer while there for other things just recently and might be able to respond to this:

Today I received a recall notice from FCA on my 2018 Sahara JL regarding how my rear quarter windows vertical retainer may not be property installed to the door rail.

I must have taken my stupid pills.

What is this--what does it mean? ….vertical retainers...things that prevent things from changing their position with respect to the ground, right?

Could someone explain to me what the issue is better than FCA seems to have. Or maybe it's not FCA, maybe it's me.

Thanks.
Another issue addressed by the recall documentation is the Sunrider position with the windows in issue. The insert verbiage specifies you only need flip the top back for the Sunrider position, bypassing the window removal. Under the "Other Helpful Operation and Usage Tips" it states "For the Sunrider Feature follow steps 3 & 4 only.".

Maybe that's the whole reason for this recall. After the extensive debate on windows in or out with the Sunrider position, this documentation clarifies the proper installation of the windows and that they can be left in with the Sunrider position.

jl window recall 2.jpg

jl window recall.jpg

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Another issue addressed by the recall documentation is the Sunrider position with the windows in issue. The insert verbiage specifies you only need flip the top back for the Sunrider position, bypassing the window removal. Under the "Other Helpful Operation and Usage Tips" it states "For the Sunrider Feature follow steps 3 & 4 only.".

Maybe that's the whole reason for this recall. After the extensive debate on windows in or out with the Sunrider position, this documentation clarifies the proper installation of the windows and that they can be left in with the Sunrider position.

jl window recall 2.jpg

jl window recall.jpg
Jerry, you are absolutely right that the recall expressly states that Sunrider Position need not involve removal of any of the 3 soft windows. It's on the bottom rectangular section of the second page, second bullet item on the left, in black and white, clear as day, and just as you said and included a picture of...

And you may also very well be right that this "recall" was in response to all the chatter here on the forum about this subject matter....but

(take a breath)

.....along with this bullet point, several rows down is a disclaimer implying that this very document is incomplete and that the Owner's Manual should be the source for complete details.

I don't care what anyone does. Further, I keep my windows in. But this card you refer to does not replace the owner's manual.

We know this not only from the disclaimer I cite, but the other 8 page booklet/documentation that came (at least with my) recall that expressly says that this 8 page booklet IS an addendum to the Owner's Manual, in no place saying that you should refer to the owner's manual for complete details, but rather that this 8 page addendum IS the new (freakin') owner's manual on this subject--which doesn't seem to have the same information as the 2 sided card you and I (initially) refer to--I think...please show me otherwise--I'd be thrilled.

At this point, let's just hope nobody gets hurt. That's always the important thing and I think by far the actual scenario.

Still more, who knows, if the injured litigate FCA, how the courts (who have jurors that often aren't 100% objective because they're human) will decide. In fact I hope it would be against FCA who seems to endorse leaving the windows in as you've pointed out.

But what you, I, and everyone else thinks is or should be the case ***may*** (or may not I hope) find that disclaimer to be FCA's "get out of jail free card" to get around paying a settlement, or a large one on such matters. Law may (although I doubt and hope not) find that the card you refer to could, for argument's sake and hypothetically, expressly endorse "standing up in the rig while going under a 6' underpass," advice near certain to "end badly," and still indemnify FCA because of this disclaimer--should the Owner's Manual not also stipulate such reckless behavior.

You would agree that FCA put that disclaimer there for a reason Jer..right?

Please, lets leave this a "you're right Jer." I hope you are. I hope my theories are wrong. I want them to be and would not be shocked to find that they're wrong.

That would be fair and just, which the law is suppose to be but sometimes isn't, or appears not to be based on circumstances we don't appreciate that the courts have had to deal with in past cases, and the need for such decisions to remain to be the case in the interest of keeping the law stable, if not static, barring truly new circumstances never before considered or conceived of.

I beg for not another drawn out "who is right" thread on this topic. I hope everyone respects opinion, and realizes I don't endorse indemnifying FCA here, and hope (and believe) it doesn't, but it might, at least in part.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Since I just bought my soft top this month I'm wondering what is on this extra placard that I didn't get?? Got a pic?
Sponsored