Sponsored

PA Jeepers Be Warned - You can get fined!

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2019 Cherokee Limited
Occupation
Structural Engineer
I cannot possibly sum up the 16 pages of information we have on another forum, but I will do my best.

In short, driving without doors in PA, in a PA registered Jeep, is against PennDOT vehicle code.

It's ridiculous... Motorcycles get to chose whether or not to wear a helmet (because they banned together for the right to make their own decisions) but Jeeps (while being forced to wear a seatbelt) cannot chose whether or not to have their doors on. And we are the ONLY state with such a law/code.

The code is - § 175.77. Body.

(f) Doors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side...
Now, I do not want to get too involved in the interpretation of this, because it's like beating a dead horse. But, since it hasn't been discussed here yet, let my try to explain it:

Your Jeep MUST be equipped with doors similar to those originally equipped. That means full or half doors only. Tube/trail doors DO NOT COUNT.

Where some people get confused is the next line, but this is IN ADDITION to the first line. It means that your doors need to be able to open and close securely unless your Jeep's top is off. This DOES NOT mean you can take your doors off if you have no top on your Jeep, just that your doors do not need to be operable.
Please, save time trying to argue the interpretation, what I have tried to convey above it accurate. Jeepers have been pulled over, have been fined, have tried to fight it, and have always lost.

What can we do?

What can we do about it? Well, for almost 2 years now, we've been trying to push this issue with local State Reps, pestering PennDOT, signing petitions, and anything else we can think of. We have tired to rally PA Jeep Clubs to help, we have tried to get everyone's favorite aftermarket vendor (Quadratec) to help, we have tried to involve Rausch Creek, and we have tried to organize doorless rallies to draw attention to the issue, all to no avail.

Part of the problem is this is selectively enforced. We've seen the most enforcement in NE PA and other small municipalities for the most part.

Since most PA Jeepers are getting away without issue, they feel no need to help push the cause. But all it takes is one bad day and a $200+ fine, and their attitude will change real quick.

Jeep owners are one of the largest and strongest groups of brand loyalty, and we can't join together to get this changed? Motorcyclists did it, why can't we?

Let's use this thread to keep everyone aware of this issue, brainstorm possible ways to get it changed, and keep track of the areas in which this is being more heavily enforced!
Sponsored

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
So a non PA lic driver can drive without doors thru the state or a PA registered veh? Am I reading that correctly? I thought Mass had crazy laws

OP
OP
BeeLDub

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
So a non PA lic driver can drive without doors thru the state or a PA registered veh? Am I reading that correctly? I thought Mass had crazy laws
I may have conveyed that incorrectly. it is a vehicle code, so it's based off of where the vehicle is registered. If you're vehicle is registered in PA, it must abide by PennDOT vehicle codes, which is what requires doors to be in place.

OP
OP
BeeLDub

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
I live in Pa and see door-less Jeeps here all the time. I’m sure it depends on the cop that pulls you over. Have you personally been cited for not having doors?
It very much depends on the cop/municipality. I drive doorless all of the time in Reading, Allentown, and KoP areas, and yet to have an issue.

Jeeps have been fined/warned in Allentown, Wilkes-Barre, Malvern, Paoli, and more.

Here is a Memorandum in our favor, but it has been stagnant for a while: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...blic.cfm?chamber=H&SPick=20150&cosponId=20531

Sponsored

tcadaniel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi
That’s crazy. One second spent on fining a Jeep driver for not having doors, is a second they could of been looking for real criminals.

At least we have medical Mary Jane now. That will help deal with the idiots!!

OP
OP
BeeLDub

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
That’s crazy. One second spent on fining a Jeep driver for not having doors, is a second they could of been looking for real criminals.

At least we have medical Mary Jane now. That will help deal with the idiots!!
This is where I have a hard time arguing the enforcement. As stupid as the code is, I can't argue them using it as a reason for contact. You'd be surprised by how many real criminals are caught due to traffic stops! But assuming the Jeep driver isn't a real criminal, let them go with a warning, and move on!

Last edited:
OP
OP
BeeLDub

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Let this add some salt to the wound:
attachment.jpg

EEBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Let me use some deductive reasoning:
<sarcasm>
If it is so deleterious to drive my Jeep without doors it must be VERY deleterious riding my motorcycle without doors !!! ...... Dang, must equip bike !!
</sarcasm>

OP
OP
BeeLDub

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
One thing you can do to help reduce the likelihood of being pulled over for this, is to give them nothing else worth stopping you for.

By this I mean, get some mirrors to replace the ones that come off with your door, wear your seatbelt, keep the music at an appropriate level, don't be excessively speeding, and don't let anyone hang out of the Jeep.

These may seem obvious, but a lot of people don't replace the mirrors when they take their doors off.

Sponsored

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
One thing you can do to help reduce the likelihood of being pulled over for this, is to give them nothing else worth stopping you for.

By this I mean, get some mirrors to replace the ones that come off with your door, wear your seatbelt, keep the music at an appropriate level, don't be excessively speeding, and don't let anyone hang out of the Jeep.

These may seem obvious, but a lot of people don't replace the mirrors when they take their doors off.
Yup, this. I see people with no mirrors all the time and I shake my head. Not even the whole law thing, I just can't stand driving without seeing out my side mirrors, they are very important to me to feel safer and more plugged in. I sure hope my Kikbax mirrors fit the JL!

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
This is so weird. I'm in the Reading/Allentown areas, and my really good friend's husband is a cop. I asked him what the heck the official word on this is, and here is his text exactly:

"if it's a soft top (wrangler) then yes, doors can come off"

Straight from a cop. This just gets more and more confusing lol

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
This is so weird. I'm in the Reading/Allentown areas, and my really good friend's husband is a cop. I asked him what the heck the official word on this is, and here is his text exactly:

"if it's a soft top (wrangler) then yes, doors can come off"

Straight from a cop. This just gets more and more confusing lol
Never trust police to know the law. Seriously.
Sponsored