OP
OP
Byrds8

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Beach, 2022 JLU High Tide
Looks like a shop would install the LCAs for $150. I’d assume I would need an alignment after?
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like a shop would install the LCAs for $150. I’d assume I would need an alignment after?
No alignment needed if you’re doing Mopar lcas, they’re not adjustable like oem. It’s just remove and replace and drive away……. It’s gonna take them all of 5 minutes, it will literally take them longer to put the jeep on the lift then replace the arms….. where in Florida are you ?

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Roky has great advice here. Change the control arms and lower your tire pressure first. See how it feels after that. Should be a fairly substantial change. If you still don't like it, the exact center is great for giving you a return to center on the highway. If you have done all of the above and still have loose steering, then I would consider adjusting the steering box, but not before.

Mitoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon - Crystal Granite
One thing I noticed when I got my jeep is that the dealer over inflated the tires and I was just drifting all over the road (I keep mine at about between 35 and 40 now). I'd check that first as the cheapest option for a fix
Agreed. When I bought my Gladiator, the tires were at 45psi. I felt every single bump in the road, and white-knuckled the wheel constantly. Dropped down to about 36-38 psi and the difference was drastic.

OP
OP
Byrds8

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pensacola area. Sad that its a 5min job, they quoted me an hour and a half. I didnt know if changing the LCAs would throw off any other part of the alignment.

Already dropped the tire pressure to 36 from 37. When we got ours from the dealership, both were at 37. Had my first fill up yesterday. Granted it wasnt purchased for MPG but it sure doesnt get close to that window sticker lol. Figured Id get better than the Silverado but not even close.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Pensacola area. Sad that its a 5min job, they quoted me an hour and a half. I didnt know if changing the LCAs would throw off any other part of the alignment.

Already dropped the tire pressure to 36 from 37. When we got ours from the dealership, both were at 37. Had my first fill up yesterday. Granted it wasnt purchased for MPG but it sure doesnt get close to that window sticker lol. Figured Id get better than the Silverado but not even close.
Yeah, that’s a little far for you to stop by so I can change them out for you……..🙁

OP
OP
Byrds8

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would do it myself but I know just enough to get myself in trouble. Granted I could technically take the entire thing apart. Getting it back together...another story. I do appreciate the offer though and all the advice. Right now, I am not even sure I can jack this up with my floor jack. It has a bit more ground clearance that what I purchased the jack for. Granted I know it comes with its own but those are a pain. Need to see about getting a new one.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I would do it myself but I know just enough to get myself in trouble. Granted I could technically take the entire thing apart. Getting it back together...another story. Right now, I am not even sure I can jack this up with my floor jack. It has a bit more ground clearance that what I purchased the jack for. Granted I know it comes with its own but those are a pain. Need to see about getting a new one.
You can do it, just make sure you have a big torque wrench because those bolts are supposed to be at 190 ft/lb. You also need to torque it with the Jeep sitting on the ground so I don't think I'd even bother jacking it up. Just do one side at a time, use a ratchet strap to shift the axle a smidge so the holes to line up. Once both LCAs are on, get after it with the torque wrench.

Be careful though, I was clenching my teeth so hard I literally cracked a tooth tightening these bolts.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
There are already many great recommendations on this thread.

I just wanted to add the main benefit of the EC for me was improved road handling at highway speeds with bad road/weather/high wind conditions. (Note: EC installed in addition to a Fox TS in the factory location.)

My steering issues were already resolved by new steering gear, track bar, longer Mopar LCAs etc.

OP
OP
Byrds8

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My torque wrench only goes to 150ft lbs. Guess that is something else I should look into.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Byrds8

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are already many great recommendations on this thread.

I just wanted to add the main benefit of the EC for me was improved road handling at highway speeds with bad road/weather/high wind conditions. (Note: EC installed in addition to a Fox TS in the factory location.)

My steering issues were already resolved by new steering gear, track bar, longer Mopar LCAs etc.
May have to look into both then. At a minimum on mine as I go across the bay back and forth for work. I have had every vehicle blow all over that bridge lol.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I changed mine out at the hotel I'm staying in for work right now. It's easy, but I don't expect everyone to be able to do the things that I do.

As for tire pressure, I would probably go down farther. There's no real benefit for running Psi above 33. You won't even notice a difference in mpg between the two pressures, but you will feel a slight difference in ride and steering.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
May have to look into both then. At a minimum on mine as I go across the bay back and forth for work. I have had every vehicle blow all over that bridge lol.
EC definitely helps mitigate those nasty side winds. But at the end of the day, we are driving the least aerodynamic vehicle produced in the past 40 years.

OP
OP
Byrds8

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EC definitely helps mitigate those nasty side winds. But at the end of the day, we are driving the least aerodynamic vehicle produced in the past 40 years.
Very true. Granted, once upon a time, I had an 07 Tahoe. Its a pretty large brick also. During some nasty storms Id white knuckle that bridge.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Very true. Granted, once upon a time, I had an 07 Tahoe. Its a pretty large brick also. During some nasty storms Id white knuckle that bridge.
The EC definitely reduces the amount of white knuckling required in high wind etc.
Sponsored