Sponsored

Exact Center

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Beach, 2022 JLU High Tide
My wife and I just purchased our first pair of Jeeps. So far we love everything except how they steer. IE, a bit of play in the steering and how they like to travel if they hit the edge of the road or rut. I have read that exact center fixes a lot of the things we do not care for. Is this the best option to make the steering not so soft and seemingly liking to go where ever it feels like?
Sponsored

cgkades

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 1997 XJ
Build Thread
Link
One thing I noticed when I got my jeep is that the dealer over inflated the tires and I was just drifting all over the road (I keep mine at about between 35 and 40 now). I'd check that first as the cheapest option for a fix

OP
OP
Byrds8

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are both sitting at 37 which is what the door says to run them at. Granted, in other vehicles, I have always went a bit higher. But since these came with the extreme recon package that included 35s, I left them alone.

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Fox ATS or Falcon ATS stabilizer should firm up the steering feel. Nevertheless, solid axles front drives differently and there is always some inevitable mild pull based on how the tarmac was sloped.

If you are tracking straight with only one finger on the steering, and there is no dead play on the center - that's perfect by Jeep standards :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Byrds8

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you say dead play, do you mean where I can move the wheel back and forth but it doesnt move? If that is the case, they both do that. You can move a good bit and it doesnt steer.

OP
OP
Byrds8

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So is the exact center not the way to go to firm this up and make it drive better? Are Fox ATS or Falcon ATS stabilizer better than the exact center?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So is the exact center not the way to go to firm this up and make it drive better? Are Fox ATS or Falcon ATS stabilizer better than the exact center?
I would lower the tire pressure to 32 psi , and get some Mopar lift lower control arms. What you’re describing is likely due to low caster. The EC is a great product, I’m running one myself, but the steering stabilizer isn’t the problem in this case….

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
They are both sitting at 37 which is what the door says to run them at. Granted, in other vehicles, I have always went a bit higher. But since these came with the extreme recon package that included 35s, I left them alone.
Try 28 psi. I suspect Jeep just wants the tire pressure warnings to trigger >=35 psi, which is the minimum official rating for truck tires. Jeeps are much lighter...

OP
OP
Byrds8

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the slop in the steering and it wanting to follow the road etc isn’t due to the stabilizer? I thought that is what it fixes? They don’t seem to want to go back straight after turning either. Unless you help it anyway

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So the slop in the steering and it wanting to follow the road etc isn’t due to the stabilizer? I thought that is what it fixes? They don’t seem to want to go back straight after turning either. Unless you help it anyway
The EC will help the return to center, but a steering stabilizer isn’t going to help the wandering at highway speeds.

OP
OP
Byrds8

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would the LCAs help? Can the caster not be adjusted without them? What about the play in steering? That normal and nothing to help it?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Would the LCAs help? Can the caster not be adjusted without them? What about the play in steering? That normal and nothing to help it?
Yes the lcas will help…. When you increase your caster that will make the steering feel a little heavier, and that will make it feel a little firmer…..
There is no adjustment for caster on the factory lcas , the Mopar lcas are longer, and that’s how they increase caster. You can get adjustable lcas instead and that would give you even more adjustability…….

This is what I’d start with along with lowering air pressure. The Mopar lcas are 70 ish dollars, that’s considered inexpensive in the jeep world, where you now reside……;)

OP
OP
Byrds8

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am used to modding. Did my trucks as well as Camaros. Bit by bit little by little. So, sounds like adjustable LCAs and an alignment is the way to go. Would adjusting the caster help with wander also?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I am used to modding. Did my trucks as well as Camaros. Bit by bit little by little. So, sounds like adjustable LCAs and an alignment is the way to go. Would adjusting the caster help with wander also?
Yes
Sponsored