OP
J.Ralston

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Law Enforcement, Self Defense/Firearms Trainer, Professional Musician, Off Road Enthusiast.
Didn't read 3 pages, but the eTorque does not have the "small" (AUX) battery. Mine has been flawless. Not sure what there is to dislike about it. If you have a 21, I'm pretty sure you haven't had to repair anything yet so we really don't know about future costs/complications.
Technology like this is not going anywhere for any brand, make or model. If anything, things will get more technical, not less. Welcome to the 21st century.

G.
You are correct in that I have not had to replace anything yet. And I’ve never said that the eTorque is not reliable. Mine has never given me a single issue thus far. But I do know that when it does break out of warranty because everything has a shelf life, that is when I may do the delete with the components off of an ESS 3.6 liter V-6 but instead of the tiny auxiliary battery, I will go with the Genesis Off Road dual battery kit that uses 2, Series 25 batteries.
Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
That's fair Jason. I also have weighed all to options if or when we get our 2 door. I have pretty much decided on the 2.0. Of course I'm in a wait and see mode as the prices are over the top for new Wranglers. In another year or 2 they are going to come down in price.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
When I ordered my Jeep last November there was no info out on eTorque or ESS.
Yeah, there was, you just didn't find it. There was more than enough when I chose the ESS in mid 2019.

OP
OP
J.Ralston

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Law Enforcement, Self Defense/Firearms Trainer, Professional Musician, Off Road Enthusiast.
That's fair Jason. I also have weighed all to options if or when we get our 2 door. I have pretty much decided on the 2.0. Of course I'm in a wait and see mode as the prices are over the top for new Wranglers. In another year or 2 they are going to come down in price.
I don’t necessarily hate the system I just hate that should it fail outside of warranty the parts alone will be close to $3,000.00. And if I’m on some trail in the middle of nowhere and alone too, then I’m screwed. I would much rather delete it and pay less money deleting it that replacing it and have a cheaper and proven over time reliable set up. If I’m solo off roading to some remote location, there have been times in the past where I have also brought extra parts like an alternator, battery and extra belts but I also had a truck back then too.

If you’re going to be ordering a new Wrangler, let me know when you do. I have a deal in place with my local dealership for anyone who orders from them and says they were referred by me they will get special pricing. My Jeep was either $58k or $59k at the MSRP but my cost on it was $53k and some change. So unless it’s the 392, they will sell people a Wrangler at invoice or less and ship it to them. With a 392, it will be under MSRP but maybe by $500.00 to $1k. But certainly not over it.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I don’t necessarily hate the system I just hate that should it fail outside of warranty the parts alone will be close to $3,000.00. And if I’m on some trail in the middle of nowhere and alone too, then I’m screwed. I would much rather delete it and pay less money deleting it that replacing it and have a cheaper and proven over time reliable set up. If I’m solo off roading to some remote location, there have been times in the past where I have also brought extra parts like an alternator, battery and extra belts but I also had a truck back then too.

If you’re going to be ordering a new Wrangler, let me know when you do. I have a deal in place with my local dealership for anyone who orders from them and says they were referred by me they will get special pricing. My Jeep was either $58k or $59k at the MSRP but my cost on it was $53k and some change. So unless it’s the 392, they will sell people a Wrangler at invoice or less and ship it to them. With a 392, it will be under MSRP but maybe by $500.00 to $1k. But certainly not over it.
The aftermarket parts suppliers will step in if a demand. Either with a delete kit or replacement parts.

Just no point for this while under warranty coverage.

Sponsored

BrierPatch

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU80, 15 WK2, 13 Silverado 1500. Had: 02 TJ
I have a question. Isn't the e-torque a separate system? If it fails, will you be stranded on the trail? I'm wondering if you would just loose the start/stop function, but still be able to drive the jeep. The engine still has a regular starter on it. I know there are plenty of situations where the Start/stop function doesn't work. Even like when the battery level is low. The battery is probably the most vulnerable. You might try disconnecting it and see if the jeep will still run even without it. This might give you a little more peace of mind and let you enjoy wheeling with a little less to worry about, or at least you wouldn't have to carry and extra battery.

I totally get it about getting out and away from the world solo. That's what jeeps are great for, but it does have it's own risks and hazards. You just never know what you might need, especially with all the electronic stuff on jeeps now days.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
If it's really a huge concern, invest in a good SAT Phone before you hit the trails. Still WAY cheaper than screwing with your Jeep to that extent.

G.

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
I'm very curious, is the OP going to delete the fuel injection system and throw a carb on there? Because this sounds just like everyone else in 1993 saying fuel injection is too complicated, the carb is simple and easy to fix .. ..

Just saying :)

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
It might be urban myth but I've heard of Jeep guys in California who have converted to the PSC mechanical steering pump getting hassled during emissions inspections as the electric steering pump system is a device related to lowering emissions and converting back to the old mechanical pump is illegal.

The argument is anything that increases fuel consumption over how the vehicle was built can be considered an emissions violation.
I believe they check the belt routing during emissions testing, which is probably why the sticker exists on every vehicle. My guess is that some people were deleting smog pumps and claiming they never existed.

The solution is to just do the smog check with the power steering bypassed. Hard to drive, yes... but technically legal.
I have a question. Isn't the e-torque a separate system? If it fails, will you be stranded on the trail? I'm wondering if you would just loose the start/stop function, but still be able to drive the jeep. The engine still has a regular starter on it. I know there are plenty of situations where the Start/stop function doesn't work. Even like when the battery level is low. The battery is probably the most vulnerable. You might try disconnecting it and see if the jeep will still run even without it. This might give you a little more peace of mind and let you enjoy wheeling with a little less to worry about, or at least you wouldn't have to carry and extra battery.
FYI: The BSG charges the 48V battery, and the battery powers an dc-dc converter to charge the 12V battery. The 12V battery runs basically everything in the Jeep including the ECU.

OP
OP
J.Ralston

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
If it's really a huge concern, invest in a good SAT Phone before you hit the trails. Still WAY cheaper than screwing with your Jeep to that extent.

G.
I have 2 Sat phones already for redundancy as well as a CB and eventually will have a ham radio too, in addition to my cell phone but there are locations where none of those things may work and even if they do, then you have a very expensive rescue bill to pay or may have to pay depending on which specific services and insurances that you go with.

Sponsored

OP
OP
J.Ralston

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I believe they check the belt routing during emissions testing, which is probably why the sticker exists on every vehicle. My guess is that some people were deleting smog pumps and claiming they never existed.

The solution is to just do the smog check with the power steering bypassed. Hard to drive, yes... but technically legal.

FYI: The BSG charges the 48V battery, and the battery powers an dc-dc converter to charge the 12V battery. The 12V battery runs basically everything in the Jeep including the ECU.
Where I live we don’t have to smog vehicles. That was a huge plus after I moved out of Commiefornia in 2003.

Now concerning the belt start generator, then maybe you have more insight than I do. So it only recharges the 48 volt battery and a DC to DC converter charges the 12 volt battery, in which is also charged by it? It was my understanding that the belt start generator also charged the 12 volt battery as well, like the alternators typically do. Because if what you’re saying is true and if the belt start generator goes out and/or the 48 volt battery goes out along with that systems water pump but nothing else were to be affected by either one of those things or even both items going out then I would not worry one bit about doing the eTorque delete once everything goes out of warranty because if either one or both of those things fail then who cares. My JLUR will still run totally fine without them, which was the biggest concern of mine, as well as the out of warranty replacement cost and complexity to fix and replace those parts out on some very remote trail somewhere.

OP
OP
J.Ralston

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I'm very curious, is the OP going to delete the fuel injection system and throw a carb on there? Because this sounds just like everyone else in 1993 saying fuel injection is too complicated, the carb is simple and easy to fix .. ..

Just saying :)
That’s funny! And no, I’m not going to do that. I actually prefer fuel injection over carburetors anyway. But if what I just read was true a few posts back then I won’t need to do the eTorque delete because my understanding of the system was wrong. If the belt start generator only powers the 48 volt battery and they are completely separate systems totally unrelated to the 12 volt battery and the DC to DC converter then should the belt start generator, 48 volt battery and/or the water pump to the 48 volt battery ever fail, it won’t affect my Jeep’s ability to run unless the 12 volt battery and/or DC to DC converter dies out on me while I’m out on some remote, off grid trail.

This was also why I made this thread too. I admittedly do not know everything that there is to know about Jeeps or the eTorque system but I figured that many folks on here probably do. Or they at least have far more knowledge than I do concerning both Jeeps and the eTorque system. So that is why I made this thread. I made the thread to not only get feedback but was also wanting to learn more about the system should someone with far more knowledge than I on the eTorque system comment and be able to better educate me on things concerning it and on how it works.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
You may be able to keep the BSG and just delete the 48V battery and separate cooling system. I think the BSG itself is a nice simplification of combining the starter and alternator. Al the 48 V battery is there for is to put energy back into the BSG to enable it to turn the engine for a short burst.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I believe the BSG puts out 48v to the lithium ion cradle battery ; the 48v battery steps down to keep the main 12v charged. So a step down would be needed if just the BSG is kept. I think.

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
I have the 3.6 with 8spd. I believe it does the same knocking as well. Usually around 1500 to 1800 rpm, going slow and put load on the engine and it will sound like a desiel. I also believe it only does this when the engine is at full temp.

Oh, but the way so far I like the e-torque, but it does seem like alot more complicated of a system than I imagined. The battery is the most likely component that will need replaced. We know batteries have a life span. The rest of the system is pretty much proven technology at this point. I'm not really afraid of water pumps and cooling lines. The starter generator isn't a new concept. I have my grandfather's 1960's international cub cadet and it uses a belt driven starter generator and it still works to this day.
Guaranteed that the belt tensioner that’s bolted to the back of the BSG is faulty.
Sponsored