3.6 without etorque?

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
No way man you’ll never see the Rams off roading Moab , Uwharrie Forrest beside of me or any of the other trails for that matter, maybe a power wagon or two here and there . My point is there’s 100x more Jeep’s off-roading than any Ram
Those are just one type of off-roading. There is probably 100x more Rams than Wranglers used as work truck offroad. I see just as many if not more Ram trucks offload on the beach as Jeep Wranglers.

The % may be higher for Wranglers offload, but a vast majority of trucks and Wranglers do not go off road.
Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
LMAo yea only problem I don’t like about it is go to pull out in front of somebody and the delay happens haha I’d rather just delete the option
There is no delay when you press the dash button to disable it. I hate the delay when it is enabled and the constant stopping and starting of the engine. Cannot be good for it in the long run.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
No way man you’ll never see the Rams off roading Moab , Uwharrie Forrest beside of me or any of the other trails for that matter, maybe a power wagon or two here and there . My point is there’s 100x more Jeep’s off-roading than any Ram, Sure there’s a lot of pavement princess Jeep’s and that’s fine but there’s also a Ton of true off-roaders on here also , but I’d be anxious to see this thread and “circle back” in a few more years when warranties are running out , more time with Etorque on trails etc ... time will tell but it’s simple in my mind .
Hoping you are wrong. I remember when the 3.6 was introduced and all the 4.0 guys said aluminum engines will be the downfall! Enjoy your Jeep and that nice NC weather!

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Is it true Jeep isn’t making the 3.6 Wrangler available without etorque for 2021? Does anyone have any insight into Jeep’s future plans for etorque? I’m planning on purchasing a Wrangler for 2022 and I’m trying to figure out if the Wrangler will be available in 2022 in 3.6 without etorque. I’d love the 392 but unless I sell my Gladiator (and I plan to keep it) that is a tough pill to swallow. So I’m looking at the current engines, I’d go with the ecodiesel if it wasn’t for the emissions equipment with them so it is a hard pass. I don’t like the idea of a turbo charged i4 on a vehicle I plan to keep, my concern is lifespan of that engine. Then there is the 4xe or what it is called, not only does it have the 2.0t it’s paired with a giant battery adding to complexity on a vehicle I plan to keep (I’m concerned about headaches 10+ years from now with this giant battery). So that leaves the 3.6 which I am generally happy with on my Gladiator and I specifically picked one that did not have the etorque because again, seems like a headache waiting to happen.
@FloridaMan,

Be careful what you ask for. The 'mild hybrid's eTorque isn't what most people think it is. It's not a 4xE 'lite'. It's a system to assist in take-off up to just a couple of mph. For some, they would state that this helps in initial torque. Maybe hence it's name.

In reality it replaces the 'really (really) lame' little 12v AUX with a 48v battery, BUT not the 17kwh water cooled contraption in the 4xE. Also, the alternator is replaced with a 48v generator.

I believe this was done for the 3.6L to remove the god-awful ESS implementation with this putrid AUX battery. The 48v eTorque system was mandated mostly just to rid themselves of the stench of their ESS disaster they bumbled themselves into with the 2018 and 2019 model year JLs.

I have a 2019 Sport S 2 door with the 3.6L 8-speed Auto. I'm 'loving' everything about this Jeep, (except for this crappy AUX battery lunacy). I don't even mind the ESS functionality itself. I know, I'm the only person on the planet who does. But charging two dissimilar sized batteries in parallel is indeed a recipe for disaster. My alternator is constantly pumping out it's maximum 14.5 volts during normal city driving. I notice the alternator taking it easy with sub 14v output only when I'm taking long trips on the highway.

So, my worry is about getting stranded, not just due to this silly AUX piece-of-shit battery always seems to drain my main, but the alternator failing from being constantly overworked. The dealership always reports that my AUX passes a load test. They just don't want to replace it.

My future looks like this:

1. Replace both the Main and AUX batteries (as a pair) every couple of years just out of over-abundance of caution.

2. Replace the entire battery fiasco with something like the very expensive Genesis Dual Battery system which replaces the AUX with a similar sized battery. However, this only allows for a very limited ESS.

3. Same as #2 but also manually rewire it to support ESS. As I said I'm the odd-ball who really doesn't mind the true purpose of not burning fuel while idling.

4. Sell my beloved JL just because of this insane battery design and opt for the eTorque system which has a much better 48v battery / generator in order to implement the govt mandated ESS (whether you like it or not).

So again, be very (very) careful what you wish for.

Jay

P.S. I really don't want to sell this Jeep. But I DESPISE the AUX battery to the point I may have to. Make me an offer...

IMG_20200605_180738.jpg

InShot_20200915_223133135.jpg

OP
OP

FloridaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Rubicon 392, ‘20 Gladiator
@FloridaMan,

Be careful what you ask for. The 'mild hybrid's eTorque isn't what most people think it is. It's not a 4xE 'lite'. It's a system to assist in take-off up to just a couple of mph. For some, they would state that this helps in initial torque. Maybe hence it's name.

In reality it replaces the 'really (really) lame' little 12v AUX with a 48v battery, BUT not the 17kwh water cooled contraption in the 4xE. Also, the alternator is replaced with a 48v generator.

I believe this was done for the 3.6L to remove the god-awful ESS implementation with this putrid AUX battery. The 48v eTorque system was mandated mostly just to rid themselves of the stench of their ESS disaster they bumbled themselves into with the 2018 and 2019 model year JLs.

I have a 2019 Sport S 2 door with the 3.6L 8-speed Auto. I'm 'loving' everything about this Jeep, (except for this crappy AUX battery lunacy). I don't even mind the ESS functionality itself. I know, I'm the only person on the planet who does. But charging two dissimilar sized batteries in parallel is indeed a recipe for disaster. My alternator is constantly pumping out it's maximum 14.5 volts during normal city driving. I notice the alternator taking it easy with sub 14v output only when I'm taking long trips on the highway.

So, my worry is about getting stranded, not just due to this silly AUX piece-of-shit battery always seems to drain my main, but the alternator failing from being constantly overworked. The dealership always reports that my AUX passes a load test. They just don't want to replace it.

My future looks like this:

1. Replace both the Main and AUX batteries (as a pair) every couple of years just out of over-abundance of caution.

2. Replace the entire battery fiasco with something like the very expensive Genesis Dual Battery system which replaces the AUX with a similar sized battery. However, this only allows for a very limited ESS.

3. Same as #2 but also manually rewire it to support ESS. As I said I'm the odd-ball who really doesn't mind the true purpose of not burning fuel while idling.

4. Sell my beloved JL just because of this insane battery design and opt for the eTorque system which has a much better 48v battery / generator in order to implement the govt mandated ESS (whether you like it or not).

So again, be very (very) careful what you wish for.

Jay

P.S. I really don't want to sell this Jeep. But I DESPISE the AUX battery to the point I may have to. Make me an offer...

IMG_20200605_180738.jpg

InShot_20200915_223133135.jpg
As goofy as the ESS is, why not just disable it and be done with it? I’ve read countless horror stories of people having issues with it who have not disabled it on the gladiator forum. I don’t believe I’ve come across any horror stories about the aux battery causing issues from those who have disabled it.

Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I can’t quite tell if your being sarcastically funny with the everyday driver Prius quote and vibration of the V6 🤔? Our new JL I can’t even feel the thing running at a light LOL , you should feel how my 6.7 Cummins tow rig shakes and sounds at a light . It feels angry 😤 , but be glad you don’t have a Etorque , in other vehicles sure fine but not a rugged Jeep , it’s just waiting to leave you stranded in the back country or on the side of a mountain . What kinda “MPG” 😉 you get in that Prius ?
LOL truly not purposely being funny, but I know it is one of those stupid little gripes I have in my life. Not like I'm going to sell my Jeep and buy Tesla instead because of this. But yeah... been driving a 2016 Prius for the past 6 years, it replaced a SRT Charger and a 5.7L Commander (I kept my TJ). After a month-ish I was used to not having an engine running at stop lights or in drive thrus and everything else I drove felt strange. My TJ not so much, inline 6, manual transmission, it felt fine. But every rental vehicle I had, riding passenger in my friends' cars, driving my father's Tundra... idling while stopped now feels strange and I notice it where I never did before. My JL with ESS isnt' so bad, but I really really hate the noise of the starter turning over for some reason and there is a delay. I don't care what Jeep says it takes a moment to go from engine off to accelerating away from the light. It is brief, but there is a delay. My Prius, and the etoruqe 4 banger JL I test drove, don't have that delay and just feel better leaving a light.

I'd also say that I am not confident that ESS won't leave me stranded. Sure I don't have a battery underneath the Jeep that I'm bashing off of rocks but something about ESS has me flinchy. I bought a jump pack that lives in my JL because in my head I'm convinced that the little battery is going to go and take out the big battery at the same time leaving me stranded. Hopefully a jump pack will get it running again.

Never thought I'd be the one to drive a Prius but after having a load of problems with the Commander that Jeep and my dealer couldn't solve I decided to try Toyota, my first non-chrysler vehicle since the 90s. I went in planning to buy a 4Runner, but the price tag for what you get felt insane to me. Walking off the lot I went past a Prius that I sorta scoffed at but saw the incredibly low price and 0% financing... It sucked me in. I took it on a two day test drive and yeah.... I can't say I fell in love with it but I started crunching numbers and thinking about my needs. It really is a damn good appliance. I ran it into a pickup last year (guy wouldn't get out of my blind spot so I hit him, turns out that only costs about $100 in case you ever are in a mood to just hit someone). I'd be pissed if that happened in any other vehicle I've ever owned. My Prius I honestly didn't give a shit and I find that freeing. New door ding? meh... hail coming? I don't care. And despite my downright abuse of the car, it keeps running without issue, and without much maintenance. Oil change every 10,000 miles, air filter every 20,000, I rotate the tires at 5k just because. But everything about it is cheap. Compared to Jeeps tires are cheap, brakes are rarely used so seem to last forever, no belts to worry about, no transmission to fail.... And it returns good MPG.

Staying around Denver/Colorado I get mid-60s mpg in the warm months. mid-50s when it's cold I think due to the engine running for heat more often. I through Wyoming and Montana a lot where the speed limit is 80 mph and the wind is always blowing. Gas mileage will fall to a terrible 45ish in those conditions. But if you stay at 75mph or lower it improves dramatically. Last year a friend of mine wanted a ride from Denver to Helena, Montana, (see her elderly parents but didn't want to fly due to COVID) I then drove back to Billings, Montana. Call it 1,100 miles in a day. It's not a good car for that due to comfort and road noise, but I filled it up three times that day, took about 25ish gallons. I'm about to do the same trip again next week, will cost me about $75 in fuel. The JL would easily be double that. So because of that if I had to replace the Prius today, it'd probably be with another Prius. I don't like the car itself, but I sure like how little it costs to run.

EDIT: I thought of another thing that has been nice about the Prius. Last year with COVID and everything shutting down somehow I ended up going on a number of dates to drive in movies. Seemed like everyone with a parking lot put up a drive in theater, in variably with old movies women apparently love. "OMG they're showing 'Labyrinth'! will you go with me?" Windows up, ac on, no worries about running the battery down or running out of gas was a nice thing. I know someone is going to say something about a Jeep would get better results at the drivein, but the Prius has much more room for activities in it than my JL. Thank you to David Bowie's tight pants.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
No one will ever convince me a 4 cylinder engine will last, especially in a 4 door.
I don't get the obsession with cylinder count. How do 4 cylinders have less longevity than 6?
  • Sound different? Yes
  • Not naturally balanced? True
  • Shorter lifespan? Not necessarily

I mean, if you pointed out that smaller displacement engines generally have to produce more torque per liter than larger engines of the same power output, then you'd have an argument. But the cylinder count is pretty negligible when it comes to reliability, and if anything it probably skews towards more cylinders being less reliable. "Reliable V12" is pretty much an oxymoron.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I don't get the obsession with cylinder count. How do 4 cylinders have less longevity than 6?
  • Sound different? Yes

I mean, if you pointed out that smaller displacement engines generally have to produce more torque per liter than larger engines of the same power output, then you'd have an argument. But the cylinder count is pretty negligible when it comes to reliability, and if anything it probably skews towards more cylinders being less reliable. "Reliable V12" is pretty much an oxymoron.
Fortunately and (unfortunately for some) these 2.0L turbos has been very reliable so far - to the dismay of some people here, who would jump on every opportunity they get to denigrate it.

Also get double points if you insult the 4cyl along with the 4door all in one sentence.

I guess bonus points if you also throw jabs at Sahara owners.

I drive a 4cyl 4door Sahara with ETorque, imagine the sort of resentment I have to put up everyday. I’m basically walking around with a big target on the back of my head.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Jeeps website as of today has the option to get the V6 without e torque. As well as offering 3.73 rear axle ratio.

Sponsored

JRINGO77

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Oh that's old then.
It's confusing because you go to click on the auto and it says "you have to pick and engine" or something like and you're like "I did WTH" then realize you have to select either the 2.0 or with etorque to continue with the auto. Sucks I wanted the auto but not enough to have one of those engines so just ordered one with the MT. Screw it free anti theft device for millenials.

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
  • Sound different? Yes

Not looking for a argument, my opinion is smaller displacement engines have to work harder, thus longevity suffers.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Not looking for a argument, my opinion is smaller displacement engines have to work harder, thus longevity suffers.
So a large displacement 4-cylinder (something around 4 liters) would be OK then, correct?
Sponsored