Sponsored

3.6 without etorque?

FloridaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Rubicon 392, ‘20 Gladiator
Is it true Jeep isn’t making the 3.6 Wrangler available without etorque for 2021? Does anyone have any insight into Jeep’s future plans for etorque? I’m planning on purchasing a Wrangler for 2022 and I’m trying to figure out if the Wrangler will be available in 2022 in 3.6 without etorque. I’d love the 392 but unless I sell my Gladiator (and I plan to keep it) that is a tough pill to swallow. So I’m looking at the current engines, I’d go with the ecodiesel if it wasn’t for the emissions equipment with them so it is a hard pass. I don’t like the idea of a turbo charged i4 on a vehicle I plan to keep, my concern is lifespan of that engine. Then there is the 4xe or what it is called, not only does it have the 2.0t it’s paired with a giant battery adding to complexity on a vehicle I plan to keep (I’m concerned about headaches 10+ years from now with this giant battery). So that leaves the 3.6 which I am generally happy with on my Gladiator and I specifically picked one that did not have the etorque because again, seems like a headache waiting to happen.
Sponsored

MillsRubicon

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JL V6 “NON ETORQUE!”
Funny you write this we had just sold one of our Jeep’s we had for 11 years 2008 JK and I was on the hunt for a newer Rubicon and that’s when I found out Jeep started sticking a Etorque Hybrid system in there “Jeep’s” . I did some research and I’m so baffled at the decision Jeep made to stick this in there vehicles, I was actually pissed that most salesman didn’t know what the heck it was . I actually got in a argument with one in Virginia that says Every Jeep from 2019-2021 has Etorque , and he said it’s only the start stop system 🤦🏻 and that it’s not a “Mild Hybrid” system ... Let’s see take a rugged Jeep that bashes on rocks , mud crawls , crosses Rivers and let’s throw a 48v Hybrid system in it and oh let’s put the $1500+ battery on the bottom of the Jeep with not much protection and run a bunch of coolant lines back and forth exposed .... Really . Well this led me on a very tiring hunt fo a good ole 2019 Rubicon Penestar V6 Non-Etorque . Simplicity is the key , I’d love to speak to the engineers that designed that . I hope Jeep dumps this Etorque system like a bad habit, but with Compliance they all have to meet I don’t see it getting any better . But then again there is a 392 😁There’s always Hope !

OP
OP

FloridaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Rubicon 392, ‘20 Gladiator
Agreed, I may have to find an 18/19/20 in good condition. I generally prefer white but I did dig deep ocean blue and Mojito, it blows my mind that those colors were discontinued, new colors are fugly.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
I was skeptical about the etorque when shopping for my first Jeep and coming from a Tacoma. I've loved it since I drove it off the lot. No issues at all, and paired with the 8 sp auto, it out-drives the Toyota in every way.
Got 22.2 MPG at 70 going to Raleigh last week.

G.

Comac90

First Name
Teak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392XR
Is it true Jeep isn’t making the 3.6 Wrangler available without etorque for 2021? Does anyone have any insight into Jeep’s future plans for etorque? I’m planning on purchasing a Wrangler for 2022 and I’m trying to figure out if the Wrangler will be available in 2022 in 3.6 without etorque. I’d love the 392 but unless I sell my Gladiator (and I plan to keep it) that is a tough pill to swallow. So I’m looking at the current engines, I’d go with the ecodiesel if it wasn’t for the emissions equipment with them so it is a hard pass. I don’t like the idea of a turbo charged i4 on a vehicle I plan to keep, my concern is lifespan of that engine. Then there is the 4xe or what it is called, not only does it have the 2.0t it’s paired with a giant battery adding to complexity on a vehicle I plan to keep (I’m concerned about headaches 10+ years from now with this giant battery). So that leaves the 3.6 which I am generally happy with on my Gladiator and I specifically picked one that did not have the etorque because again, seems like a headache waiting to happen.
The non-etorque is still available with the manual. I’m guessing they did the etorque thing because of CAFE. Like you, all I wanted was an auto with the 3.6 and frustrated to see that option go away. For me personally, the lack of that option was the tipping point for me in ordering a 392.

While etorque seems to be a decent system, personally I just prefer a normal v6 or v8 - or full electric. I’m not a fan of the added complexity of these hybrid systems.

Sponsored

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
So glad I got my 2019 JLR when I did. No one will ever convince me a 4 cylinder engine will last, especially in a 4 door. That e-torque is garbage, couldn’t agree more with previous opinions. I probably wouldn’t buy a new Jeep today if I were in the market to buy. That is really too bad. Love the 392 but can’t see myself in a 4 door. No Bronco here either, as a 4 cylinder engine is not a good option. Hopefully my JLR will last a long time, and if the day comes when the engine needs replacing I will replace with a new 3.6 or install a 5.7 or maybe a 392. I feel bad for every customer for the lousy engine options in today’s vehicles.
On another note, I would like to buy a Ford Raptor but a 6 cylinder engine in a full size truck is beyond laughable, it’s totally disappointing.

Sponsored

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
special ordered my 19 3.6 auto because I was scared of the e torque also. They were pushing the 2.0 turbo e torque at that time. V6 was special order only . Love my simple V6 Rubicon Mojito two door. All discontinued. Plan on keeping it forever.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
So glad I got my 2019 JLR when I did. No one will ever convince me a 4 cylinder engine will last, especially in a 4 door. That e-torque is garbage, couldn’t agree more with previous opinions. I probably wouldn’t buy a new Jeep today if I were in the market to buy. That is really too bad. Love the 392 but can’t see myself in a 4 door. No Bronco here either, as a 4 cylinder engine is not a good option. Hopefully my JLR will last a long time, and if the day comes when the engine needs replacing I will replace with a new 3.6 or install a 5.7 or maybe a 392. I feel bad for every customer for the lousy engine options in today’s vehicles.
On another note, I would like to buy a Ford Raptor but a 6 cylinder engine in a full size truck is beyond laughable, it’s totally disappointing.
:no:

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Also, the E torque stuff It’s brand new. Wait several years and a few cycles through the rust belt. Three cooling systems lots of electronics yeah what could go wrong. The simple V6 models will increase in value as years go on.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
The 3.6 and etorque isn’t new. It has been in the RAM truck for a few years and has won a few awards over the last few years. I have had both 3.6 with and without etorque and prefer with.
Sponsored