Sponsored

Emergency Ignition Shutoff

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
FCA has a recall for cruise control which will not shut off on many Jeep models, including some of the JL Wranglers. Does anybody know how to do an emergency ignition shutoff on the JL push button igintion?

I have heard that on some vehicles with push button ignition, you push and hold the button until the engine shuts off. On other systems, you stab the button quickly and repeatedly until the engine shuts off.

I could not find this in the JL owner's manual.

Let's imaging that for some reason (stuck floor mat, computer problem, etc.) your accelerator is stuck to the floor, or cruise won't shut off...

How do you do an emergency engine shut down?
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Mabar

If you are driving along at say below 5 mph and momentary press the Stop/Start button the engine will shut off and you will roll to a stop.

If you are going say 60 mph and momentary press the Stop/Start button the JLU/JL will ignore the button push ... engine stays on and you keep driving along.

Now, if you are going say 50, 60, 70 or whatever mile per hour.... have an emergency of some sort... and press/hold the Stop/Start button in for more then 3 seconds the vehicles engine will shut down and you will roll to a stop.

Should behave very much like I mentioned above.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Press the brakes and/or put the friggin truck in neutral. If you don’t know how to stop the vehicle in this case then you shouldn’t be driving. Seriously.
That's how I've stopped my RAM, the jl SHOULD be the same--good advice

JIMBO

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@JIMBOX
@Bswen

In all fairness, @Mabar asked "Does anybody know how to do an emergency ignition shutoff on the JL push button igintion?" He went on to say more and ended with "How do you do an emergency engine shut down?"

Daaah, sure you can put the vehicle in neutral and proceed to brake but... but is that really the best way...

Sure it will get you to a stop but your engine will be undoubtedly blown if the engine is running out of control at full RPM, etc..

Anyway, Mabar had a very valid question. He clearly and succinctly asked a question... and it appears both you guys did not know the specifics in order to answer the exact question he asked.

You blurted "If you don’t know how to stop the vehicle in this case then you shouldn’t be driving. Seriously."

In closing, unless all else failed, etc., I would not throw the JL into neutral and press the brakes as you stated.

I'd kill the engine properly using the proper technique described above... I'd check traffic around me and when safe to do so, I would steer my JL to the side of the road. My engine would not be blown, it would be turned off. I would call a flat bed to take the vehicle to the shop.

Reasonable question by Mabar in my opinion ...

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
If you're on the freeway and you NEED EMERGENCY SHUTDOWN--

Safely move to slow lane--put in neutral, engine should be running 1800/2200RPM(CRUISE CONTROL)--STOP put auto in PARK-push IGN button-engine will STOP-

Now since I don't have my JL stick YET, I'm not sure if that procedure will work with the stick in neutral --at rest-

Now the trouble is, with this CRUISE CONTROL MALADY, we don't really know what it's failure does to the ECU/IGN system--

My RAM has been FLAWLESS for almost two years and I purposely shut it down as I've stated, BUT MY CRUISE CONTROL IS WORKING !!!

IT'S A JUNGLE OUT THERE

JIMBO

OP
OP
Mabar

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
Press the brakes and/or put the friggin truck in neutral. If you don’t know how to stop the vehicle in this case then you shouldn’t be driving. Seriously.
Ok, since you implied I shouldn't be driving, I guess I need to be MUCH, MUCH more specific.

The new JL is pretty much ALL computer controlled, including the automatic transmission. The auto trans does not have a mechanical linkage for drive, reverse, neutral, etc., but just an electronic connection. If for some reason there is a computer glitch which does not allow you to shift into neutral, then here is the emergency scenario:

- Accelerator is stuck to the floor for whatever reason, linkage, computer glitch, floor mat, unknown, etc
- Or cruise control won't shut off by either the steering wheel buttons or brake (there is now a FCA recall on this!)
- And auto transmission won't shift into neutral

In a keyed ignition system, the driver could just turn the ignition key to off and coast and steer to a stop. The steering wheel would not lock until the vehicle was stopped and in Park.

In some vehicles with push button ignition the emergency shut off directions are to push and hold the button until the engine shuts off. In others, you are supposed to stab the button quickly and repeatedly until the engine shuts off.

There are no emergency shut off instructions in the JL owner's manual that I could find.

Given the above scenario, does anybody know how to do an emergency engine shut off? I know some people will guess (I can guess also), but has anybody actually tried this personally on a new JL, or has anybody found anything in writing from Jeep about emergency engine shut off on the JL.

Here is a link to the cruise control recall problem.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a20916003/fiat-chrysler-recall-cruise-control-may-2018/

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
All very true . With a key ignition , one turned off the ignition and did the above .

The OP wants to talk "computers" , and not practical immediate solutions .

Last edited:

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Given the above scenario, does anybody know how to do an emergency engine shut off?
The driver who wrote to put it in neutral and apply brakes is correct . Another driver seconded that information . Both were correct , and very informative in helping you with your question .

If you don't agree , you ought to go west across Ohio to Toledo , and ask the "genius" looking at a wuss computer screen who won't know squat .

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Ok, since you implied I shouldn't be driving, I guess I need to be MUCH, MUCH more specific.

The new JL is pretty much ALL computer controlled, including the automatic transmission. The auto trans does not have a mechanical linkage for drive, reverse, neutral, etc., but just an electronic connection. If for some reason there is a computer glitch which does not allow you to shift into neutral, then here is the emergency scenario:

- Accelerator is stuck to the floor for whatever reason, linkage, computer glitch, floor mat, unknown, etc
- Or cruise control won't shut off by either the steering wheel buttons or brake (there is now a FCA recall on this!)
- And auto transmission won't shift into neutral

In a keyed ignition system, the driver could just turn the ignition key to off and coast and steer to a stop. The steering wheel would not lock until the vehicle was stopped and in Park.

In some vehicles with push button ignition the emergency shut off directions are to push and hold the button until the engine shuts off. In others, you are supposed to stab the button quickly and repeatedly until the engine shuts off.

There are no emergency shut off instructions in the JL owner's manual that I could find.

Given the above scenario, does anybody know how to do an emergency engine shut off? I know some people will guess (I can guess also), but has anybody actually tried this personally on a new JL, or has anybody found anything in writing from Jeep about emergency engine shut off on the JL.

Here is a link to the cruise control recall problem.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a20916003/fiat-chrysler-recall-cruise-control-may-2018/
There has been one vehicle, not even a wrangler, that had a glitch and they dont know the reason. So now we are saying, "well what if all this other stuff fails too?". Has anyone heard of your shifter not working? Has anyone said the accelerator gets stuck to the floor? Well, I can do that to, lets ask for a scenario for everything thats not in the book. What if my wheel falls off? How do I safely get to the side of the road? What if it rains and my top is off, how do I not get wet. What if my kid has to go potty and we are 20 miles from the next exit? I can do this all day. You are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Brian had it right first. The OP's desire to turn off the motor was a means to an end to deal with a potential cruise control failure, which is most adeptly done by disconnecting said out of control motor from the drive train, a.k.a. neutral.

Emergency brakes are best at keeping a vehicle from moving---of course in fairness I'd be the first to try them too if all else fails.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
There has been one vehicle, not even a wrangler, that had a glitch and they dont know the reason. So now we are saying, "well what if all this other stuff fails too?". Has anyone heard of your shifter not working? Has anyone said the accelerator gets stuck to the floor? Well, I can do that to, lets ask for a scenario for everything thats not in the book. What if my wheel falls off? How do I safely get to the side of the road? What if it rains and my top is off, how do I not get wet. What if my kid has to go potty and we are 20 miles from the next exit? I can do this all day. You are making a mountain out of a molehill.
On the other hand, what’s it to you that the OP wants to know for his own sake? If you don’t agree you have the ability to move along without comment. Remember you clicked open his thread, he didn’t bust into your life demanding your answer.:computerrage: