Emergency Ignition Shutoff

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
On the other hand, what’s it to you that the OP wants to know for his own sake? If you don’t agree you have the ability to move along without comment. Remember you clicked open his thread, he didn’t bust into your life demanding your answer.:computerrage:
Im not trying to be a dick, I apologize if I can come across that way. I gave the best solution for an emergency and I was shot down. I was trying to help but was told I am wrong. If you are in dire need to stop the vehicle your last thought should be whether the engine is going to blow or you are going to smoke your brakes.

You are correct, there is a more direct answer to the OP question, but in an emergency, which is also part of the OP, do you really want people trying to perform an emergency shutdown or trying to remember which method works for this vehicle? Key word being "emergency". In an emergency you want to bring the vehicle to an immediate stop as safely as possible.

For the record, I do believe the emergency is stop is up down left right a b a b.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, in all fairness, if for whatever reason your Jeep either accelerates uncontrollably or you are locked in cruise control:

1. Place gear selector in neutral (manual or automatic) and apply foot brake.
  2. If step 1 fails, press and hold ignition button.
  3. if step 2 fails, apply emergency brake.
  4. if step 3 fails, pray.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Press the brakes and/or put the friggin truck in neutral. If you don’t know how to stop the vehicle in this case then you shouldn’t be driving. Seriously.
The electronic shifter is unresponsive with this failure. The cruise will not disengage, and will attempt to accelerate through the brakes. The start/ stop selector is unresponsive.

Though, by design, the brakes have the ability to overpower the engine. The only way to get yourself out of this particular situation is to stand on the brakes, foot to the floor, until the vehicle is at a stop. The one driver who experienced this said the brakes were smoking heavily by the time they stopped, but were able to stop safely even after putting the shifter in neutral with no effect. Braking to a stop took a long distance as well.

This failure occurs when the cruise control is accelerating while an internal short circuit takes place simultaneously. It’s very rare, has only happened once (on a journey), but is a big deal.

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
The electronic shifter is unresponsive with this failure. The cruise will not disengage, and will attempt to accelerate through the brakes. The start/ stop selector is unresponsive.

Though, by design, the brakes have the ability to overpower the engine. The only way to get yourself out of this particular situation is to stand on the brakes, foot to the floor, until the vehicle is at a stop. The one driver who experienced this said the brakes were smoking heavily by the time they stopped, but were able to stop safely even after putting the shifter in neutral with no effect. Braking to a stop took a long distance as well.

This failure occurs when the cruise control is accelerating while an internal short circuit takes place simultaneously. It’s very rare, has only happened once (on a journey), but is a big deal.
Very rare.

I havent seen anything that says the shifter is unresponsive. I can assume the person that experienced this issue tried neutral, but the stories all seem to say that the person was able to overcome the engine with the breaks, stop the vehicle, SHIFT TO PARK, then shut the engine off. How did the person shift to park if the shifter was unresponsive?

Also, if all of these electrical issues are happening at the same time, are we to rely on some emergency shutoff procedure when seconds could be the difference between safely and unsafely stopping the vehicle?

Sponsored

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Very rare.

I havent seen anything that says the shifter is unresponsive. I can assume the person that experienced this issue tried neutral, but the stories all seem to say that the person was able to overcome the engine with the breaks, stop the vehicle, SHIFT TO PARK, then shut the engine off. How did the person shift to park if the shifter was unresponsive?

Also, if all of these electrical issues are happening at the same time, are we to rely on some emergency shutoff procedure when seconds could be the difference between safely and unsafely stopping the vehicle?
Furthermore, if you have a vehicle that's subject to the CC recall, you shouldn't be using CC at all until it's repaired, per FCA.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Furthermore, if you have a vehicle that's subject to the CC recall, you shouldn't be using CC at all until it's repaired, per FCA.
CC is like driving an autopilot tesla . Whereas , driving a Jeep means controlling the Jeep ; and knowing how to stop if it goes out of control . That is the opposite of CC . CC means surrendering your control .

A driver must have the strength , stamina , and fortitude , to push the brakes to the floor and shift into neutral if Jeep is out of control , for the safety of everyone .

An airline pilot must have the strength , stamina , and fortitude , to reverse thrust and brake upon landing an aircraft , for the safety of everyone .

Last edited:

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Okay, in all fairness, if for whatever reason your Jeep either accelerates uncontrollably or you are locked in cruise control:

1. Place gear selector in neutral (manual or automatic) and apply foot brake.
  2. If step 1 fails, press and hold ignition button.
  3. if step 2 fails, apply emergency brake.
  4. if step 3 fails, pray.
1 and 3 are urgent ; emergency brake comes after full pressure on foot brake , in step 1 .

Last edited:

Sponsored

JDZ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM 1500 Night, Mustang vert, Lexus SUV
Not sure using the parking brake at high speed is a good idea. Locking up the rear wheels at speed might not end well.

This new runaway vehicle mode sounds like a whole lot of fun, but high speed, maybe a little slick out, with locked rear wheels and you may not be keeping the shiny side up.

Would stick with hard braking and neutral. if you're driving stick remember it's both feet in.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Very rare.

How did the person shift to park if the shifter was unresponsive?
The transmission failed to go into neutral when commanded while in motion. I'd call that unresponsive.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Let me take this a step further. I like Brian's tone. Everyone should know that an out of control motor is first and foremost rendered harmless if disconnected from the drive train, (a.k.a. the rig is put in neutral) especially those who use cruise control.

And even more, everyone should know this:

a manual way, a fail safe if you will, to put your rig in neutral if the electronics become "possessed."

A window into my thoughts: forget, or never read how to put saved stations on your radio, who cares.

Not know the basics of emergency procedures on your rig: big deal. A person's ignorance of basic emergency procedures 101 on the rig and on the road could get people killed.

Watch 4:16 - 4:55, and 5:12 to the end on specific to cruise control out of control situations.

Please know this. Please share.

Last edited:

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
The transmission failed to go into neutral when commanded while in motion. I'd call that unresponsive.
FYI, this just hit the news. It is not on the NHTSA website yet.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/25/autos/fca-recall-cruise-control/index.html

Fiat Chrysler is recalling 4.8 million vehicles over an issue that could prevent drivers from turning off cruise control.
Only one incident related to the malfunction has been reported to Fiat Chrysler (FCAU), and there are no reported injuries.

The issue can be triggered when the car accelerates while operating under cruise control, which it might do in order to maintain its speed while climbing a hill, the company said. This could potentially cause a short circuit.

When that happens, the vehicle can become locked in cruise control. The typical methods for exiting cruise control — tapping on the brakes or hitting the designated switch — can stop working. However, drivers would still be able to slow down or stop their vehicles by hitting the brakes, shifting into neutral or both.
Pretty sure the not shifting into neutral part of everyone’s response here was added or only thought to be true. I’ve not seen anywhere that the shifter was unresponsive. People are assuming it was. The person driving could have not tried to put it in neutral because they were in a panic.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
If you are worried about a runaway Jeep then probably a good idea to keep the cover off that orange strap at all times. Don’t want to be fumbling around trying to remove the cover while traveling 70 mph.

These JLs have steering wheels that lock, cruise controls that lock and transmissions that won’t go into neutral. Who wants to drive these death traps? Jeep only wants the rugged types to buy Wranglers. :)

I was thinking you could put the transfer case in neutral but going from 2H to 4H to neutral may not be a good idea.
Sponsored