Sponsored

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Shara Unlimited
Tried everything as mentioned before, dielectric grease, pushing connectors, it works for a while. Ended up leaving the glove box off with the can bus hanging out, would reach over n slap it and restart when it acted up.

Got a new bus and put it in today. It took awhile to find it as it only shows up if you search for 2021 or higher, mines a 2018, the parts guy figured it out. I think for 2018 thu 2020 it was part of the wire harness.

If this doesn’t work I’ll start replacing the connectors I guess.

097BC197-6AF0-4C4D-90DE-35EE825ABA64.jpeg

062484DB-6D1B-4C71-86F8-8A977589A4EB.jpeg
Sponsored

Tiffany0320

First Name
Tiffany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Update: I pulled all my connections from the CAN BUS located in the glove compartment. Cleaned all contacts and placed contact grease on them. It’s been just over a week without any issues. Hopefully just a bad contact and it’s resolved.
I did that same thing and it was ok for a week then the check engine light came on and it started to go haywire again. Is it still working ok for you?

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I heard somewhere along the way it’s the solder in the canbus that’s the issue, I haven’t had an issue in over a month.

Sponsored

Mack.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport LJ
Thanks for the response! I think checking the alternator is a great idea. This will be the next thing on my list. Its crazy aggravating. We are looking at purchasing a new 22 for my wife but I am concerned that we would end up with 2 that have problems. Thanks again and keep us all updated please! In this video I realize its not locked just no power steering.

I agree funny but not funny. It will at least get you out of a tight spot if needed. It is unfortunate that this is all too common on our Jeeps. maybe @JeepCares has an answer for us?.
I have not found a dealer that has any answers at all about anything. Just bring it in for a few weeks and it will be fine until you get it home. Never again. Where is the National Traffic Board on this loss of steering shit? Great when it shuts off in a turn lane and the shifter locks up. Guess these aren't safety issues? Make sure you use your stop/start feature so your starter can restart your car a couple of hundred times a week, starters are cheap and you only have to remove the left side of the engine to change it, What the hell were they thinking?

Mack.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tried everything as mentioned before, dielectric grease, pushing connectors, it works for a while. Ended up leaving the glove box off with the can bus hanging out, would reach over n slap it and restart when it acted up.

Got a new bus and put it in today. It took awhile to find it as it only shows up if you search for 2021 or higher, mines a 2018, the parts guy figured it out. I think for 2018 thu 2020 it was part of the wire harness.

097BC197-6AF0-4C4D-90DE-35EE825ABA64.jpeg

062484DB-6D1B-4C71-86F8-8A977589A4EB.jpeg
Ok just ordered this for my 18 JLU, Could not get it from any source other than MOPAR using part #68140647AA. They got us by the short hairs. One is tan and the other is clear WTH?

Jeep Wrangler JL Electrical issues 062484DB-6D1B-4C71-86F8-8A977589A4EB

Jeep Wrangler JL Electrical issues 062484DB-6D1B-4C71-86F8-8A977589A4EB
Ok just ordered these for my 18 JLU Sport S Napa, Autozone, Advanced, eBay, and the only one who had a listing for it was MOPAR. According to them part #68140647AA was the only fit for 18-20. Neither number produced a green and a tan bus set. they are one tan and one clear???? They are definitely digging their own grave and won't be around when these vehicles need parts. Imagine your 7-year-old jeep being worth nothing because it is broken and can not be repaired. Their wonderful EV/GV has a 25-mile battery then it runs on gas. You can be sure that will be one trouble-free bastard. Talk about government control on travel LOL.

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok just ordered this for my 18 JLU, Could not get it from any source other than MOPAR using part #68140647AA. They got us by the short hairs. One is tan and the other is clear WTH?

Ok just ordered these for my 18 JLU Sport S Napa, Autozone, Advanced, eBay, and the only one who had a listing for it was MOPAR. According to them part #68140647AA was the only fit for 18-20. Neither number produced a green and a tan bus set. they are one tan and one clear???? They are definitely digging their own grave and won't be around when these vehicles need parts. Imagine your 7-year-old jeep being worth nothing because it is broken and can not be repaired. Their wonderful EV/GV has a 25-mile battery then it runs on gas. You can be sure that will be one trouble-free bastard. Talk about government control on travel LOL.
Hi it’s not the smaller clear bus closer to the passenger door, thats for the infotainment and the control panel under it. I replaced the green and black bus beside it. Try going up to 2022 and above models, in one of those years it started selling separate from the harness, that’s what I’ve come to believe. My local dealer parts guy found it that way.

I find our smaller local dealer struggles with these retro active part updates on my 18. I called a dealership in the big city they had the updated part tagged to my 18 JLUS without hesitation and the local dealer did not. I just experienced this on an upgraded PCV valve part as well.

Sponsored

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have not found a dealer that has any answers at all about anything. Just bring it in for a few weeks and it will be fine until you get it home. Never again. Where is the National Traffic Board on this loss of steering shit? Great when it shuts off in a turn lane and the shifter locks up. Guess these aren't safety issues? Make sure you use your stop/start feature so your starter can restart your car a couple of hundred times a week, starters are cheap and you only have to remove the left side of the engine to change it, What the hell were they thinking?
I’m in Canada but agree how come this isn’t a recall for safety? Maybe they get around it as it goes into limp mode and not full fail? Not everyone has the strength to muscle the steering wheel in limp mode or ability to stay cool and get it off the road. I’d hate to see an inexperienced driver in this situation on a busy highway.
Yet there are still dealers out there that aren’t able to diagnose or able to fix? This isn’t being taken seriously enough.

Seth21282

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL
I am having the same problem now for the second time. The dealership replaced the PDU to fix the problem last time. I love my jeep but this is maddening. Hopefully its not something else.

Mack.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi it’s not the smaller clear bus closer to the passenger door, thats for the infotainment and the control panel under it. I replaced the green and black bus beside it. Try going up to 2022 and above models, in one of those years it started selling separate from the harness, that’s what I’ve come to believe. My local dealer parts guy found it that way.

I find our smaller local dealer struggles with these retro active part updates on my 18. I called a dealership in the big city they had the updated part tagged to my 18 JLUS without hesitation and the local dealer did not. I just experienced this on an upgraded PCV valve part as well.
I had a green double-row can bus with 10 inputs on each row for a total of 20. Gave them the VIN# and said it was wrong and gave me a 13-input single-row unit. So I demanded the double row and showed them a pic of mine. So identifying what they actually put in our Jeeps is a guessing game.

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you go to post #56 it shows the part # for the green/black high speed bus. It seems some dealers can’t find the part# on the earlier JL models, some can. I think you have to go to a 2022? To find this part. Give it a try.