Sponsored

Lhewi207

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL, 6 manual transmission
I’m new to this Forum I’m going to try to be as detailed as possible, but anyways I have a 2018 Jeep JL Sport, manual transmission 40,000mi, just out of warranty. A few weeks ago I started my Jeep, all of my dash light came on: ABS, service 4WD, service Stability control, Brake, Start Stop, and airbag light. All gauges not working. I hooked my reader on the Jeep and had several codes pop up all relating to ABS.

15 minutes of driving, my power steering would stop working. I got the Jeep to where I needed to go and attempted to stop and restart the vehicle but failed to even shut the engine off. I stalled the engine but still couldn’t get the rest of the vehicle to shut off completely.Just before I unplugged the battery I tried shutting the Jeep off and it worked. So about a half hour before I could even shut it off. I started the Jeep and all the lights that were on were off except the Check Engine. Now this same incident would happen at random times. It would be okay one day and chaos the next. Certain lights would pop up like check engine and stop/start. Once I see all my lights come on I’ll know that my power steering will turn off at any time and does.
(Recently: when power steering shuts off. It would now come on and off at random times. I’m in a situation where I don’t have power steering going around a sharp corner then all of a sudden my power steering kicks back on. Other times It would be driving normal then for a split second no power steering and on again causing me to jerk the steering wheel while driving. Then my dash will shut completely down and basically resets itself and warning lights are off, and Jeep is back to normal until the next incident occurs)

I got a hold of the the only dealership in town which doesn’t really have a great reputation. I had them do my second recall relating to my clutch (software update) and to check on my main issue. I got a call back the next day stating that the software update was done and they placed their Reader on it and had 87 codes. They cleared codes and had a technician drive it with no issues and sent it back my way. Service department was closed when I was able to get the Jeep. As soon as I started the vehicle all my lights were on. Sent it back to the dealer and it sat for a week and a half before someone looked at it. They called me and basically said they don’t know what the issue is and I would have 2 options and the 2 options are not guaranteed to work. One being to have a technician to tear down everything and inspect wiring (quoted 7 plus hours labor) or replace entire wiring harness. So I took the Jeep back because I’m not going to gamble over a grand on guess.

just wondering if anyone has had this issue or similar experience and what the causes were? Or any ideas. I’m currently taking my ESS battery out to test it and inspect it.

Should also mention that I’ve had some electronic issues ever since I got the Jeep new and never got resolved because dealership could not recreate it. May or may not be related to issues I am having now I don’t know. But seen some forums about it but little answers. My radio would go haywire and make a loud pop and completely shut off and reset erasing uconect data and resets clock.

4E3D91A9-F38E-4966-8625-D556218DED15.jpeg
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
^^^ this!

A couple months ago, my 2018 JL was doing all sorts of crazy things with only 6,500 miles. I replaced both batteries; problem solved.

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
Just a guess here from some other posts I've read but make sure all of your fuses under the hood are fully seated, apparently several people have had similar issues and that was the problem. Also, there is a TSB out there that deals with the ESS system leaving you stranded when the auxiliary battery dies, get that TSB done and when your auxiliary battery craps out it will use the main battery to start. But it will still say that the ESS is not available in the message center.

OP
OP
Lhewi207

Lhewi207

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How old are your batteries?
3 years old. I read somewhere the ESS battery can cause similar issues and recommended service every 3-5 years.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
3 years old. I read somewhere the ESS battery can cause similar issues and recommended service every 3-5 years.
That’s the answer right there. My batteries started acting up right at 3 years, regardless of the low miles.

I drove to O’Reillys and got their Super Last Battery for $299, and the auxiliary battery for $107.

Replacing the auxiliary battery takes some doing. You can get to it through the passenger-side fender or by removing the fuse box. I chose the latter; I don’t trust myself handling visible parts. Took me almost 3 hours to replace the two.

I would replace both batteries in one pass. You don’t want to have to do the same thing twice. The main battery weighs as much as a Ford Bronco. So watch that back.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Personally, that's the first thing I'd do. I'd replace both at the same time.

Even if it's not that, you're toward the end of their life anyway. Next thing I'd look at are grounds if that doesn't work, maybe alternator. It's definitely electrical with worst case being a computer module, nothing else will chistmas tree.

OP
OP
Lhewi207

Lhewi207

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a guess here from some other posts I've read but make sure all of your fuses under the hood are fully seated, apparently several people have had similar issues and that was the problem. Also, there is a TSB out there that deals with the ESS system leaving you stranded when the auxiliary battery dies, get that TSB done and when your auxiliary battery craps out it will use the main battery to start. But it will still say that the ESS is not available in the message center.
in the pro
That’s the answer right there. My batteries started acting up right at 3 years, regardless of the low miles.

I drove to O’Reillys and got their Super Last Battery for $299, and the auxiliary battery for $107.

Replacing the auxiliary battery takes some doing. You can get to it through the passenger side fender or by removing the fuse box. I chose the latter; I don’t trust myself handling visible parts. Took me almost 3 hours to replace the two.

I would replace both batteries in one pass. You don’t want to have to do the same thing twice. The main battery weighs as much as a Ford Bronco. So watch that back.
in the process of removing both last night. Ran out of time to get to my to the second battery. I’ll be-able to get to it later today.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I had similar issues with my Civic, the dash cluster would go off and start throwing codes. Let it rest, fire it up works fine (maybe). Turned out to be an intermittent short in my alternator. If the battery doesn't fix it, you may want to consider an alternator.

OP
OP
Lhewi207

Lhewi207

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in the pro

in the process of removing both last night. Ran out of time to get to my to the second battery. I’ll be-able to get to it later today.
Another fourm I read with a guy basically had the same issues. After a month in the dealer they came up with CAN BUS connector, then the thread stopped so not sure it was a fix or not. So I figured to go through all the basics.

Sponsored

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
Here is the test you can do to see if you have the updated TSB.. this is only for the 2018 model year, the others don't have the issue.

Wow Don. Your dealer had a problem taking your money to apply a TSB that's been shown to allow 2018 3.6L JLs to crank on the second crank attempt (off the main battery) of the ESS battery is dead?

First off, you can tell Jeep Cares on the forum about this, and second, you can test if your 2018 already has this feature. To do the test, take off off the negative post of the main battery the cable from the ESS battery. There are usually two factory cables on this main battery's negative post. One leads to the body ground: which you should leave alone.

With the other cable temporarily detached and dangling, see if your 2018 3.6L will crank on the second attempt. If it does or doesn't, reconnect the dangling cable thereafter.

Some 2018's seem to have this feature without the TSB from what I've read.

If it cranks on the second attempt the ESS off light on the panel will likely illuminate, turning off the ESS system. But once the ESS battery is reconnected, upon the next cold crank attempt the vehicle should detect the presence of a charged ESS battery, crank off of both batteries, and turn this diagnostic light off, reinstating the ESS system.

Sanchese

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Rubicon, 2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon on Order
Check your grounds and check the battery terminals connections.
Make sure they are not loose.
This can cause your dash to light like Christmas tree and cause all sorts of issues.