Sponsored

START/STOP & ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL SERVICE MESSAGE

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
We certainly understand your frustration. Please feel free to send our team a private message. We would be happy to provide additional support throughout your dealer visit.
Alex
Jeep Cares
LoL Alex @JeepCares .... you probably don't even drive a Jeep or even a FCA product..... :CWL: seriously hating the Dealerships I go to....:headbang: BFI's all of them... LoL it's like ordering food at the drive thru....only to find out miles down the road the screwed your order up again....
Sponsored

loranwilcox

First Name
Loran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited
Jeep in the shop now 4 days because they can not find the problem.
They say they are working with Jeep and they are asking them to check connectors, wiring, and signal yesterday. And today they are making voltage readings for the signal wires to the break booster.

I wonder if I will ever get it back. We are already at 4 trips to the shop and a total of 9 days with no solution.

KMNCMS

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey there JL owners, we JT owners are feeling the same. We started a Survey thread "For those with misfire issues". We are up to 126 that have had the 'ELECTRONIC START STOP' light as well as the 'CHECK ENGINE LIGHT'. The two objectives were to create a data bank of production dates, MDH (Month Day Hour, also on the vin data plate) mileage, where it was assembled, and their success or failures. Only a hand full have had success, many including my self had atleast 3 trips to the dealer and have been without their new toy for months. I don't feel right starting such a thread in the JL since I don't own a JL. Not trying to start a problem but help all of us fix the problem.

loranwilcox

First Name
Loran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited
Got the Jeep back after 2 weeks in the shop. They stated it was fixed but just as I left the dealer the light came back on. Taking it back Tuesday for my 5th trip to the dealer.

loranwilcox

First Name
Loran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited
Took the jeep back in this morning and when talking to the service manager he pretty much said the issue was my fault for using the jeep in a adverse way.

OK, I am a geocacher like many other jeep owner and on a normal geocaching day I will start and stop the Jeep between 50 to 100 times or more. So it's me starting and stopping the jeep so often that is the problem.

Well if that is the problem maybe Jeep Wranglers are no longer a valid vehicle for off road geocaching. Guess I'll will need to find a different vehicle for caching. Funny my previous 2 JKs never had an issue.

Note: Based on the Service Rep the Jeep Wrangle JL series is an unacceptable vehicle for geocaching as it does not like it when you start and stop it so often.

Or maybe even once since it did fail as I drove it off the lot after it had benn sitting for awhile.

Sponsored

loranwilcox

First Name
Loran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited
Well my START/STOP & ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL SERVICE MESSAGE may finally be fixed. Only took 5 trips and 19 days at the dealer to get done which should have taken 5 or less.

First trip to dealer, two days and a replaced vacuum hose. (They thought it might be a vacuum issue) PROBLEM NOT FIXED,

Second trip to the dealer, one day and they did a software upgrade. PROBLEM NOT FIXED.

Before taking it back to the dealer I do some research and locate this post that pretty much indicated the issue is with the vacuum pump.

Third trip to the dealer, two days, and the dealer ignores the information about the vacuum pump and insists it the ABS and replaces that. I try to explain the notice and how it states to NOT replace the ABS but look at the vacuum system. So they already thought it might me something with the vacuum system based on the first days repairs and the memo says vacuum system and not ABS but I got the ABS repair anyway. PROBLEM NOT FIXED.

Fourth trip, 12 days, I have no clue what they did but I just got it off the lot when the lights came back on. PROBLEM NOT FIXED.

Fifth trip, 2 day, AND the service manager tells me that the problem is the way I drive. The Jeep can not be started an stopped so often. So Isn't that what the start/stop system does in traffic. But now after 2 more day they finally give in and replace the pump but tell me it is not what the service center recommends.

So now with the replaced vacuum pump I have not seen the issue again. And keep in mind it would occur 10-20 time a day.

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
My 2020 JLUR just popped the Service Stop/Start warning. I did not receive a CEL with it, drove about 25 minutes with no issue. Monitored the Voltage, no drops. Jeep goes in Wednesday morning for the look over...hopefully just the battery and not a larger issue.

Rjackson

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
W
Well my START/STOP & ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL SERVICE MESSAGE may finally be fixed. Only took 5 trips and 19 days at the dealer to get done which should have taken 5 or less.

First trip to dealer, two days and a replaced vacuum hose. (They thought it might be a vacuum issue) PROBLEM NOT FIXED,

Second trip to the dealer, one day and they did a software upgrade. PROBLEM NOT FIXED.

Before taking it back to the dealer I do some research and locate this post that pretty much indicated the issue is with the vacuum pump.

Third trip to the dealer, two days, and the dealer ignores the information about the vacuum pump and insists it the ABS and replaces that. I try to explain the notice and how it states to NOT replace the ABS but look at the vacuum system. So they already thought it might me something with the vacuum system based on the first days repairs and the memo says vacuum system and not ABS but I got the ABS repair anyway. PROBLEM NOT FIXED.

Fourth trip, 12 days, I have no clue what they did but I just got it off the lot when the lights came back on. PROBLEM NOT FIXED.

Fifth trip, 2 day, AND the service manager tells me that the problem is the way I drive. The Jeep can not be started an stopped so often. So Isn't that what the start/stop system does in traffic. But now after 2 more day they finally give in and replace the pump but tell me it is not what the service center recommends.

So now with the replaced vacuum pump I have not seen the issue again. And keep in mind it would occur 10-20 time a day.
did they replace the vacuum pump that is in the front of the engine? I am having the same issues with mine.

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Electronics Tech/ Fabricator/ 5G Fiber Optic Cellular Tech
I had a very similar experience, unfortunately I'm a Geocaching person also. Last 3 jl's had all loose fuses and loose distribution lugs! All 3 jl also had low voltage from each battery.
I firmly seat every fuse on day one, and verify voltage. Takes 2 days to fully charge on a very small trickle charger on each battery. Its the intelligent chargers that will charge modern batteries. The underside of the fusebox lid clearly has terminals for ESS battery and top battery indicated. N1 AND N3 comes to mind. If those are low, i get the warning and a bunch of other silly anomalies.

Please post your findings, you can use a harbor freight digital meter to check.

If you were a better Geocacher you would find the hidden items and replace the juice your using to charge battery! Teasing. What im saying is out the door on pickup of new jeep they are low!!!. 11.7 volts low. I find it better to baby charge it. Rather than pray it charges on its own.
Not that prayer doesn't help.

Just picked up new scooter battery and harley battery from
Battery wharehouse, both pre charged. I laughed and put them on trickle before install!! Both were horribly low.
Im a nerd, i want things nice!

See pix on my prev posts if you need to see it!

Rant over

JeepAustinWeird

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I've gotten this message several times. It first started for me at about 15K miles as a "Start/Stop not working, battery charging" situation.....I got my batteries (both) replaced....and things were good for about a year.

About a month and half ago it started back up as the "Start/Stop unavailable, Service Start/Stop" but like others here, as soon as I turn off and back on Jeep, the message goes away and things work fine. I took it in for service a month ago and was told I had a Cylinder 6 misfire that was the cause. The fix was TSB 18-092-19..which was a re-flash or reprogram of my powertrain control module (PCM). Message went away for 2-3 days and was back, and was occuring about every 1.5 weeks, but again would go away with turning off Jeep and restarting. Well it has now starting occurring more frequently (like daily) and today my service engine light came on and has stayed on. I went by a (different) dealer today to see what code comes up and they said the code shows a "Cylinder 6 misfire".....I'm like WTF!! So now I'm wondering was nothing fixed or was the reprogram just a bandaid and now I need new spark plugs, ignition coil.....or this "vacuum" thing??? I have an appt in 5 days to take it in so hope its safe to drive. The "engine" symbol is solid and not flashing/blinking

I checked the obvious causes of check engine light that I could....like my gas cap was on tight, my battery voltage (on the dash menu was around 14.1V). I know when I take it in they are gonna look at this "code" and only fix it....how do I get them to make sure its not my Vacuum pump referred to in this post (I've never gotten any other system messages like with Electronic Stability...just Start/Stop system). Thanks

Sponsored

JimN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I get the Start-Stop not working along with the Traction control or anti-skid warning light in stop and go traffic. I also had to add a charge line from my RV as the battery in the Jeep died after being towed about 700 miles. The lights are powered from the RV and the brake draws zero power unless the breakaway is activated being an AIr-Brake system. Sort of wishing I might have bought a 4x4 Pick-up. Jeep was SUPPOSED to be and always used to be the go to vehicle for flat towing behind our RVs.

Boldog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JLU
I guess I'm joining the service electronic stability control, start /stop error club.
Dealer replaced the ABS module and start stop battery yesterday. Both errors popped up today. Brought it in today so the dealer could read the codes, and they said it gave a vacuum error. Couldn't leave it with them today since they couldn't give a loaner and I had my son with me. Back to the dealer first thing tomorrow morning. .. I'll show them the TSB
(2018 JLU with 21k miles)

Jeep Wrangler JL START/STOP & ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL SERVICE MESSAGE 20210914_131837

Jeep Wrangler JL START/STOP & ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL SERVICE MESSAGE 20210914_131831

Last edited:

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I guess I'm joining the service electronic stability control, start /stop error club.
Dealer replaced the ABS module and start stop battery yesterday. Both errors popped up today. Brought it in today so the dealer could read the codes, and they said it gave a vacuum error. Couldn't leave it with them today since they couldn't give a loaner and I had my son with me. Back to the dealer first thing tomorrow morning. .. I'll show them the TSB
(2018 JLU with 21k miles)

Jeep Wrangler JL START/STOP & ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL SERVICE MESSAGE 20210914_131831

Hi Boldog,
If you'd like to send us a PM, we'd be happy to offer an additional layer of assistance alongside your dealer.

Sarah
Jeep Cares

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
huh... I had the same problem last saturday on trail. My stop start battery hadn't been working for months, always said it was charging, so I figured it gave up the ghost. I was in 4 low so didn't even notice the traction control system error until I got off the trail and went back to 2wd. Figured it was just a fluke. On restart (once in my driveway) everything went away. For peace of mind I replaced the start stop battery (did it myself that day rather than waiting on a dealer). The little bit I've drove it since, it seems to be fine but now you all got me worrying.

Boldog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JLU
Hello, Can anyone let me know if its normal for the rubber seal on the brake booster to leak when you gently move the vacuum hose or touch the seal?
Brief timeline of my ESS & ESC issues on my 2018 JLU:
ā€¢ Sept 1st, Intermittent ECS and ESS dash lights. Was told that it was a ABS code. and the ABS module was ordered.

ā€¢ Sept 13th, the ABS module and AUX battery were replaced.

ā€¢ Sept 14th. Both Service ESS and ESC came on again. The dealer was able to pull the codes and said it showed a Vacuum issue.

ā€¢ Sept 15th. I provided the TSP that was mentioned by several people with the same issue on the forum. The Dealer said they updated the ECU, nothing was mentioned about the vacuum error code, or the TSB concerning the front vacuum pump etc.

ā€¢ Five days later the code for the Service ESC is back.

ā€¢ Wanted to drive my Jeep for a while, so I waited until Oct 18th to leave my Jeep at the Dealer. They said that the front vacuum pump had failed. 21920, C1252 found in the pcm. Jeep was at the dealer for 5 days. Picked it up and noticed that the new vacuum pump was cycling on and off constantly. About a mile down the road, both the service ESS and ESC lights came back on. Brought it back to the dealer the next day and the tech said that they would need to order an ECU. 5 days later the part arrived, but it was the ABS module again. The dealer said that the tech had said ECU.. but actually meant ABS.... I have another appointment on Monday to have the ABS module replaced again??

Both codes and the constant vacuum pump cycling have been happening on daily since the new vacuum pump was installed. Prior to that it was once every 3 days or so.

The strange part is that over the past two days, weā€™ve had temps drop down into the 40-50ā€™s and since the weather has cooled down, I can sometime drive for 20-30 minutes without hearing the pump cycle or have the codes?? Today I decided to follow the vacuum lines running from the new pump and noticed that the slightest movement of the line leading into the Brake booster would hiss air if I touched it. Right at the rubber seal. Is this normal?? At this point grasping at straws trying to find out what is causing the codes and the constant cycling of the pump. Its pretty clear that the dealership doesnā€™t know what is going on eitherā€¦ Any help appreciated. I am working with Jeep Cares and they seem to be as frustrated with the issue as I am.. They have followed up with the service department and had questioned the ABS being replaced twice in the past 30 days as well..

Jeep seal leaking.PNG
Sponsored