spurly

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I had a similar shimmy for a few months after I changed out my front axle. I had the shimmy soon after and then chased it down by replacing everything except the steering box and steering dampener. New PR44, all 4 control arms, draglink, trackbar... well you get the idea. All aftermarket and I still had a shimmy. No DW, I had that in my TJ and the shimmy is not like it.

Well, I went to flip my stock steering dampener over my tie rod, and in the process found out there was a good 1/4” of play in the SD. I installed a fox SD and haven’t had the shimmy since.

I would like to believe that a good live front axle design wouldn’t need a SD, but I’m now a believer in the Fox steering dampener for this JL.

HTH and best of luck.
I installed the Synergy track bar and Metalcloak front upper and lower control arms at the time of the lift. I added the Synergy sector shaft and track bar brace yesterday. I have a Fox SD on my list but I'd like to replace it last so I can hopefully eliminate any possibility that something is worm or bad before masking it. But like you said, I would think a proper set up wouldn't require a SD.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Synergy track bar and Metalcloak front upper and lower control arms at the time of the lift. I added the Synergy sector shaft and track bar brace yesterday. I have a Fox SD on my list but I'd like to replace it last so I can hopefully eliminate any possibility that something is worm or bad before masking it. But like you said, I would think a proper set up wouldn't require a SD.
That vid looks like that’s the exact thing the steering stabilizer was designed to eliminate, you put on a good thru shaft equal force ss, I believe that will go away. I know a well built front end shouldn’t need one, but IMHO, in this JL platform, it plays a bigger role in the steering than it used to. Especially with lift and larger tires.

Peace brother

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I re-torqued everything half a dozen times then eventually said to hell with it and just tightened the snot out of everything. All the while I was adjusting caster too. I did everything from throwing the original control arms back on to stock length on all 4 and various different lengths for both all the way to 7* of caster. Nothing really seemed to make a difference. Having the toe corrected seemed to help a little, but it could just be wishing it actually had an effect.
Ha. Isn't it crazy? There are only so many possible items that could cause that. I don't get it. So mine started after swapping my drag link and tie rod. However, at that time, I flipped the stock stabilizer on top of the tie rod. After a lot of discussion and help from member Roky, I did swap the stabilizer with a fox through shaft. I know people say it isn't required and will mask issues. However, from experience I no longer believe that is completely true. My steering felt more "normal" after swapping out. I think... that there was something wrong with my stock stabilizer after removing. I could be wrong or like you said, looking for a cause. but either flipping the location or an "event" caused it to function different. The steering felt very light and the wobble showed up. After removing, it felt significantly easier to compress and extend, which I had just had it removed a week prior. Maybe all in my head at this point.

Canuck714

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Rubicon, 2014 Roush Raptor, 2020 JLU Willy's
Vehicle Showcase
I mentioned this in a different thread, but I chased this exact same thing with our JK. There are 2 things to try that are relatively inexpensive.
1. Try a new stabilizer
2. Rotate tires. The fronts may have worn in funny. Swapping the rears to front should put you back where you started like the first couple hundred miles. If it goes away, you need to find out what wore the front tires enough to cause the shimmy.

What I did on the JK was ditch the heavy ass Nitto/Toyo MT's... as soon as I went to a lighter K02 the steering was miraculously better.
Unfortunately I discovered this after replacing everything upfront including track bar, tie bar, control arms etc etc...
Just so you are aware, the Toyo/Nitto MT is a solid 20+ lbs heavier per tire than the same size K02.
That's a lot of weight to influence your steering components.

OP
OP
spurly

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Poly Performance was running a sale on Synergy parts so I took this opportunity to order the Synergy Drag Link. Hopefully this fixes my issue. I'll report back once I get it installed. I would have ordered the tie rod as well but I just got the alignment done, and I didn't want to pay for another one just yet.

Sponsored

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
@spurly thats the same type of wobble I am dealing with as well. Originally running 3.5 EVO lift and no wobble, decided to replace tie rod, draglink, and synergy brace, and fox through shaft stabilizer for preventative measures. Now have the wobble haha Swapped out EVO TB for synergy, same result. Going to swap back to stock stabilizer next, maybe the fox I got was defective.. Next is play with caster and toe.

OP
OP
spurly

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Poly Performance called and said the Synergy drag link is 6-8 weeks out. Hopefully my symptoms don't get any worse but I'll probably have to cancel my Moab trip at the end of April if I can't get it fixed (assuming we're bot under full lock down and Moab has lifted their restrictions).

I did notice something interesting over the weekend. I decided to brave the interstate while running a few necessary errands and noticed the wheel didn't shimmy or shake over any noticeable bumps. The interstate I drove on was in significantly better shape than the roads in town so I may not have hit the right bumps or ones bug enough to cause any shake. But at 65-70mph, it seemed to be ok.

OP
OP
spurly

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
@spurly thats the same type of wobble I am dealing with as well. Originally running 3.5 EVO lift and no wobble, decided to replace tie rod, draglink, and synergy brace, and fox through shaft stabilizer for preventative measures. Now have the wobble haha Swapped out EVO TB for synergy, same result. Going to swap back to stock stabilizer next, maybe the fox I got was defective.. Next is play with caster and toe.
Good luck. I adjusted caster a ton before I had an official alignment. The fox through shaft stabilizer I ordered should be here this week but I ordered it to fit the Synergy Tie Rod I plan on ordering in the future.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This was exactly what happened to me. installed some parts as preventative measures to beef up the front and immediately after got the wobble. Been trying to figure out since. Apparently if you don't have issues, you should never touch your tie rod or drag link because then you'll have issues.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Good luck. I adjusted caster a ton before I had an official alignment. The fox through shaft stabilizer I ordered should be here this week but I ordered it to fit the Synergy Tie Rod I plan on ordering in the future.
Yeah I tried to get an alignment at a local place but just like my prior experience it is hard to find anyone that's competent locally. Lately I took it in and the guy didnt even adjust the arms (the bolts/nuts are marked/indexed with white paint) and I know my caster is off. Digital gauge reads 8-9 deg caster and my passenger bump pad in the coil is not centered. Keep in mind I dont know if its directly related to the wobble I know have as it was "fine" before the latest parts install..

This was exactly what happened to me. installed some parts as preventative measures to beef up the front and immediately after got the wobble. Been trying to figure out since. Apparently if you don't have issues, you should never touch your tie rod or drag link because then you'll have issues.
Haha you know I thought about this as well before I installed them. I had them in the garage for about a month then decided to do it as I wanted to tighten up the steering a bit.

I only get a slight wobble when hitting the "right" patch in the ground, going to adjust the arms and set caster to 6 deg, got some toe in alignment plates to set the toe in accordingly. Last resort would be to swap stabilizer for OEM. Going to try and accomplish something this weekend if the Wife and kids will let me. Will post up any and all results.

Sponsored

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
Would it make any sense getting the wobble after having the rear axle removed then reinstalled and having an alignment ?

OP
OP
spurly

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Would it make any sense getting the wobble after having the rear axle removed then reinstalled and having an alignment ?
I don't know if the rear axle would cause any wobble in the steering wheel or not.

I installed the Synergy drag link today with high hopes of the shimmy disappearing, but unfortunately it didn't. I habethe Fox TS steering stabilizer sitting in the garage, but I bought it with the clamp for the Synergy tie rod which is a smaller diameter than the OEM tie rod.

I guess next I'll buy the Synergy tie rod and go from there...

This is getting frustrating.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know if the rear axle would cause any wobble in the steering wheel or not.

I installed the Synergy drag link today with high hopes of the shimmy disappearing, but unfortunately it didn't. I habethe Fox TS steering stabilizer sitting in the garage, but I bought it with the clamp for the Synergy tie rod which is a smaller diameter than the OEM tie rod.

I guess next I'll buy the Synergy tie rod and go from there...

This is getting frustrating.
I had to talk myself off the frustration ledge. Well, actually Roky talked me off the ledge. Change your tie rod and SS and see what you think. Its such a weird thing. There are only so many components that could be the "cause". I still have 1 part to install and then my second professional alignment. If it is still doing it after, I'm going to start questioning if a track bar frame/axle mount hole is wallowed out or something. I wouldn't even know how to fix that.

OP
OP
spurly

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I had to talk myself off the frustration ledge. Well, actually Roky talked me off the ledge. Change your tie rod and SS and see what you think. Its such a weird thing. There are only so many components that could be the "cause". I still have 1 part to install and then my second professional alignment. If it is still doing it after, I'm going to start questioning if a track bar frame/axle mount hole is wallowed out or something. I wouldn't even know how to fix that.
The tie rod is on order and I have the steering stabilizer sitting in the garage. Synergy is supposed to have tie rods back in stock sometime in the middle of May.

I also had my tires rebalanced yesterday. Discount tire, where I had them originally installed 800 miles ago, said the tires were "way out of balance". It does look they moved some weights around, but it doesn't appear to have changed anything.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The tie rod is on order and I have the steering stabilizer sitting in the garage. Synergy is supposed to have tie rods back in stock sometime in the middle of May.

I also had my tires rebalanced yesterday. Discount tire, where I had them originally installed 800 miles ago, said the tires were "way out of balance". It does look they moved some weights around, but it doesn't appear to have changed anything.
Good! interesting that they were out of balance. I think I'm going to have mine re-balanced soon too. Mine were mounted at the dealer (before I purchased) and whoever balanced didn't know what they were doing. they didn't line up the yellow dot and the valve stem on any of the wheels. they used so many weights. I noticed recently that one of the sets of weights was loose, so that can't help.

I installed my synergy track bar (I had a rancho one already) and my synergy track bar/sector shaft brace last weekend. it was windy as crap when I did my test drive but it feels pretty good now. the road that usually causes my wobble.... still caused a shimmy but nothing like before. so not sure if you watched JL Life's video on ball joints or not... not sure if that is really a thing and I really don't want to replace ball joints on a new vehicle. but it raises some questions that cause could be bad or damaged ball joints. Mine only wobbles if I hit an uneven surface on the passenger side. I can hit bumps and holes all day on the drivers side and no wobble. kinda weird I think.
Sponsored