Do all Wranglers handle like this?

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
There are posts here about steering issues....I've read them all.
Had a 2019 Wrangler JLU and first day I went back and said "steering box" Over a year later they replaced the steering box as described in a Technical Service Bulletin.

I want a dollar for every time I've been told, "It's a Jeep Thing!"

@JeepCares helped me out.

When the steering gear was replaced (steering box) it solved the problem Until then it wouldn't stay in lane and wandered. No return to centre.

Back in '72 I was adjusting steering boxes in Volvo sedans to solve this issue. It was easy back then.
Sponsored

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
The steering systems in today’s Jeeps are antiquated.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
There's no good way for anyone who is not you to say if what you experienced is "normal" or not. My suggestion would be to go to a local dealership and test drive some other Wranglers. If they feel similar, then what you're feeling is likely normal. If not, get it checked out or consider returning it to stock if you think it's serious enough.

Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Yes, exactly what I feel here. Once it gets past a certain angle off-center it feels like it pulls in that direction rather than trying to straighten back out. I suppose it's great off-road but feels unstable (to me) on-road when making right turns, etc.

Just wanted to check with others to see if this is normal/typical. I guess it is. Thank you.
Not 100% sure, but I'm thinking this behavior keeps the steering from 'wandering' too much when on the highway. Had a rental Wrangler a few years ago, which had noticeably more return-to-center and I found myself constantly moving the steering wheel back and forth trying to keep it in a straight line (alignment seemed fine, but there was a huge, vague dead spot in the wheel). My '23 seems 100x better in this regard and the lack of return-to-center is at least predictable since it just wants to go wherever it's aimed. I'm good with that.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

We added longer lower track arms to add more caster thinking this would help - and it did - but it still doesn't feel right to me.
How much caster? The more caster, the more difficult it will be to steer the JL and the steering will not return to center, depending on how much caster was added. I was accidentally running at 8 degrees and bumped it back to 7 degrees. Now it drives much better, steering is great, and wheel is returning back to center (with way less input from me).

OP
OP

Jebb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
There's no good way for anyone who is not you to say if what you experienced is "normal" or not. My suggestion would be to go to a local dealership and test drive some other Wranglers. If they feel similar, then what you're feeling is likely normal. If not, get it checked out or consider returning it to stock if you think it's serious enough.
It was just question for those who own, or have driven, many other vehicles. If a Wrangler typically feels like what I described - compared to other vehicles - then what we have is "normal". If no one else ever noticed what I described then I would say what we have is not normal.

From all the replies here it seems it's normal.

Now, when he first bought the Jeep it had terrible "death wobble" but that was something entirely different and was due to a defective steering damper. What I'm talking about here is not that. The dealership replaced the damper with an HD aftermarket part and it fixed that problem completely.

What I'm talking about here is the lack of return-to-center force that most modern vehicles have. This Jeep doesn't have any - let go of the wheel in a turn and it will KEEP turning. To me that is odd and got my attention real quick the first time I made a right turn at a corner!

But my son loves it and he's used to it. I just had to ask here to make sure it was "normal". :rock:

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I was just about to suggest the same thing. He needs to do the comparison himself for it to be as unbiased as possible.

OP
OP

Jebb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
I was just about to suggest the same thing. He needs to do the comparison himself for it to be as unbiased as possible.
My question here was meant generically; Wranglers compared to other cars and trucks. Jeep Grand Cherokee's, for example, do NOT steer like this nor does my lifted RAM.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

My question here was meant generically; Wranglers compared to other cars and trucks. Jeep Grand Cherokee's, for example, do NOT steer like this nor does my lifted RAM.
They drive like a Wrangler, but no, not like you're describing.

To know for sure: take a test drive. It costs you nothing but time...as long as you're good at saying "no".

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
My 4-door returns to center just fine. A 2-door I rented did not. Drove it on to a curb making a right out of the National car lot. I attributed it to the short wheel base and just steered it back to center.

Reactions: AFD

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I dunno, but mine returns to center like any other vehicle I have driven. Have it checked out by a dealer. Asking people for something that may seem subjective may create a possible hazard if there is something really wrong with his steering gear. That's my advice. Get yourself that peace of mind by doing just that.
Sponsored