Sponsored

Do all newer wranglers come with backup lines when parking?

Jessybaby1231

First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Just curious if you need to add a package or if its standard on the ones with touchscreens? Thanks!
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It is standard unless something’s wrong with the auxiliary battery or with the backup camera.

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
My Willys Sport with the 5 Inch screen Basic radio has the lines. Seems to work pretty well too.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Just curious if you need to add a package or if its standard on the ones with touchscreens? Thanks!
I believe it's standard on all JL Wranglers. Even my 2021 with the 5-in screen had the backup lines. Personally I had them disabled, and then later when I removed my backup camera entirely... problem solved there!

Now I got a nice little window in the tailgate, tells me when I'm going to hit somebody.

I always hated the lines in the backup camera, they were never accurate to how you were actually positioned. You were always slightly angled in the spot while the lines showed you being straight, and then when you got out of the vehicle, and realized you had to adjust and actually look out the window just to make sure that you were straight in the spot. Like why even have a backup camera if you're still going to have to look outside and see if it's accurate or not? One of those instances where it's a cool idea, it's just never done properly. It's always some lazy tech installing that stuff and the cameras on some crazy angle and then as if lines are supposed to make it better.

Honestly the only people the backup cameras are even for, is these lazy zoomers who want everything done for them! "I can't be bothered to turn around and look to see where I'm going or stick my head out the window, do everything for me backup camera, because I'm too lazy to be a good driver myself!"

Sponsored

tomk62

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Sahara Anvil, 2019 Cherokee
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Honestly the only people the backup cameras are even for, is these lazy zoomers who want everything done for them! "I can't be bothered to turn around and look to see where I'm going or stick my head out the window, do everything for me backup camera, because I'm too lazy to be a good driver myself!"
I respectfully disagree.

As a city-dweller, it's just one more tool (including mirrors and windows) that helps me maneuver safely on tight streets and parking spaces.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I respectfully disagree.

As a city-dweller, it's just one more tool (including mirrors and windows) that helps me maneuver safely on tight streets and parking spaces.
Speaking of mirrors, those are overrated as well. You only need one mirror. Choose one, you got three, you don't need three, you only need one! I've been running with a driver side mirror only for the last 2 years with zero issues. Backing up isn't an issue without a camera and only one mirror, driving through some of the tightest spots you ever seen, with no backup camera and one mirror, zero issues.

I think the number one thing is knowing the size of your vehicle, and being familiar with how it moves. Beyond that technology and extra mirrors only make a subpar driver average.

Can't beat raw talent!

So I guess from that perspective, not everyone's amazing like me, so it makes sense that most people need that technology and those extra mirrors to be an average driver. :giggle:

Jeep Wrangler JL Do all newer wranglers come with backup lines when parking? friends-joey-tribbiani (10)

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I believe it's standard on all JL Wranglers. Even my 2021 with the 5-in screen had the backup lines. Personally I had them disabled, and then later when I removed my backup camera entirely... problem solved there!

Now I got a nice little window in the tailgate, tells me when I'm going to hit somebody.

I always hated the lines in the backup camera, they were never accurate to how you were actually positioned. You were always slightly angled in the spot while the lines showed you being straight, and then when you got out of the vehicle, and realized you had to adjust and actually look out the window just to make sure that you were straight in the spot. Like why even have a backup camera if you're still going to have to look outside and see if it's accurate or not? One of those instances where it's a cool idea, it's just never done properly. It's always some lazy tech installing that stuff and the cameras on some crazy angle and then as if lines are supposed to make it better.

This is simply ignorant and wrong headed. They save damage to vehicles and objects everyday, and they save the lives of toddlers and young children frequently. If they saved just one kid’s life it’d be with it, but they save a lot more than one. NOBODY can see what’s directly behind them on the ground in ANY vehicle, much less a bulky SUV or truck that’s lifted. Not even you. Don’t believe it? Set a 2 ft. tall object directly behind your bumper. Now move it back a few feet at a time until you can see it in any mirror.

Jeep Wrangler JL Do all newer wranglers come with backup lines when parking? backovers

Jeep Wrangler JL Do all newer wranglers come with backup lines when parking? 1698264763784

Please don’t be “that guy” when lives are at stake.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
This is simply ignorant and wrong headed. They save damage to vehicles and objects everyday, and they save the lives of toddlers and young children frequently. If they saved just one kid’s life it’d be with it, but they save a lot more than one. NOBODY can see what’s directly behind them on the ground in ANY vehicle, much less a bulky SUV or truck that’s lifted. Not even you. Don’t believe it? Set a 2 ft. tall object directly behind your bumper. Now move it back a few feet at a time until you can see it in any mirror.

Jeep Wrangler JL Do all newer wranglers come with backup lines when parking? 1698264763784

Please don’t be “that guy” when lives are at stake.
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!!

Sponsored

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Jeep Wrangler JL Do all newer wranglers come with backup lines when parking? IMG_20231025_153127840

Same distance away from the vehicle as the kid the photo you tagged...

Jeep Wrangler JL Do all newer wranglers come with backup lines when parking? IMG_20231025_153400476_HDR

That's on a decline too, so really going against me here.

Jeep Wrangler JL Do all newer wranglers come with backup lines when parking? IMG_20231025_153350313

*Ups*, THERE IT IS!

Jeep Wrangler JL Do all newer wranglers come with backup lines when parking? IMG_20231025_153346297
Jeep Wrangler JL Do all newer wranglers come with backup lines when parking? IMG_20231025_153339799

Like I said, backup cameras and mirrors are for weak drivers. If you're already not paying attention to your surroundings, a camera is only going to help a little bit. It's only a matter of time before the person who needs a backup camera hit something else. Hopefully when that happens it's not a human being.

Jeep Wrangler JL Do all newer wranglers come with backup lines when parking? ill-be-here-all-week-thank-you

• Haha
Reactions: GtX

tomk62

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Sahara Anvil, 2019 Cherokee
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

So if I understand correctly: you removed your tailgate mounted spare and you're relying on two little windows you cut in your tailgate, instead of a camera screen on your dash. Got it.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Jeep Wrangler JL Do all newer wranglers come with backup lines when parking? ill-be-here-all-week-thank-you

Same distance away from the vehicle as the kid the photo you tagged...

That's on a decline too, so really going against me here.

*Ups*, THERE IT IS!

Like I said, backup cameras and mirrors are for weak drivers. If you're already not paying attention to your surroundings, a camera is only going to help a little bit. It's only a matter of time before the person who needs a backup camera hit something else. Hopefully when that happens it's not a human being.

Damn. You and your cute little demonstration really put me and my decades of real world experience as a subject matter expert to shame. I’ve been wrong all these years! Thanks for your enlightened wisdom. :like:

deznut6

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 2dr Willys, '06 Frontier
Occupation
Retired
for the OP...my 2024 2dr willys does NOT have any "lines" when in reverse...just have the camera display ...no lines that move with the steering wheel when in reverse...only ordered the Alpine sound system and hard top as "options".

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Damn. You and your cute little demonstration really put me and my decades of real world experience as a subject matter expert to shame. I’ve been wrong all these years! Thanks for your enlightened wisdom. :like:
One of these days guy, we'll off-road together, and then you'll see...

Jeep Wrangler JL Do all newer wranglers come with backup lines when parking? sherlock-holmes-psychopath
Sponsored