chicknwaffles

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 rubicon
Well, it's a selling feature of ARBs. I'll let them know that chicknwaffles disagrees. ;)

Screenshot_20230111_085606_Chrome.jpg
Right on! Appreciate you telling them that!

On a different note it is humorous you believe the advertising. Did you recently get your 5th booster too?
Sponsored

chicknwaffles

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 rubicon
I'm a big fan of Gale Banks and have been for MANY years. His turbo charged gas applications were light years ahead of everyone else. He is also a brilliant marketing machine and to that I say more power to him. But as for the diff cover and its shape... Keep in mind most if not all of the performance diffs that use removable third members (like a Ford 9") have a plain old round integrated rear cover section. No molded in ring gear channel. Let's not let great marketing (not an insult) make us overthink the functionality of an oil bath.
I'm not disagreeing that it may make some difference, but I don't personally believe that difference is meaningful.
this guy gets it

"I don't personally believe that difference is meaningful."

exactly

don't take diff cover advice from the guy selling you diff covers.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a big fan of Gale Banks and have been for MANY years. His turbo charged gas applications were light years ahead of everyone else. He is also a brilliant marketing machine and to that I say more power to him. But as for the diff cover and its shape... Keep in mind most if not all of the performance diffs that use removable third members (like a Ford 9") have a plain old round integrated rear cover section. No molded in ring gear channel. Let's not let great marketing (not an insult) make us overthink the functionality of an oil bath.
I'm not disagreeing that it may make some difference, but I don't personally believe that difference is meaningful.
Yep; all one needs to do is look at a GM "BOP" style axle from the 60's and the Ford example that you give which have round covers and I recall that Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth had a similar style that had round covers with zero contour.

Those axles were in millions and millions of vehicles which were ran for billions of miles with a huge majority of them never changing the fluid the entire time they were in service. While I am certain there were some failures, if the issue was as dire and wide-spread as Banks would love for us to believe then it would be as popular as Pennzoil and Quaker State creating wax in engines.

He has a solution in search of a problem with zero objective data to back it up and his salesmanship is clearly working...

Last edited:

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that some 18 wheelers have round integrated covers and removable center sections much like the Ford 9". And they go millions of miles.

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
See the edit to my post above. Save 50% of the cost and go for Motobilt covers with NV skids.
I really like the front Next Venture diff skid plate but it has more than doubled in price (400 bare steel, or 480 powder coated)! I'm hoping my Rancho front diff skid/slider works with my Motobilt cover. It should since it's a flat mounting surface. I've beat mine up pretty bad, haha. Been on there since May 2018!

I have the rear MetalCloak diff skid/slider which I know works fine with Motobilt diff covers. :rock:

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I really like the front Next Venture diff skid plate but it has more than doubled in price (400 bare steel, or 480 powder coated)! I'm hoping my Rancho front diff skid/slider works with my Motobilt cover. It should since it's a flat mounting surface. I've beat mine up pretty bad, haha. Been on there since May 2018!
Yeah, I bought both of mine "pre-COVID" and they sat for a while before I installed them (was between re-gears). Though I paid what I thought was a premium back then, I am not sure that I would go for them today at the current price.

With that said, there is no stronger/tougher skid plate on the market. Have a look at the thickness of the skid and bracing inside them. They are SO strong that one could worry about the axle housing (snout and differential cover flange) breaking/cracking.

Jeep Wrangler JL Differential Covers 20210430_114121

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
Yeah, I bought both of mine "pre-COVID" and they sat for a while before I installed them (was between re-gears). Though I paid what I thought was a premium back then, I am not sure that I would go for them today at the current price.

With that said, there is no stronger/tougher skid plate on the market. Have a look at the thickness of the skid and bracing inside them. They are SO strong that one could worry about the axle housing (snout and differential cover flange) breaking/cracking.

20210430_114121.jpg
Yeah a buddy of mine has one, it's Grade A pure beef! LOL! He also bought his when they were much "cheaper."

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah a buddy of mine has one, it's Grade A pure beef! LOL! He also bought his when they were much "cheaper."
The only "negative" if there is one is that it has to be removed to change the axle fluid, but then again, that is its purpose. 😜

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs

phageghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I like that container. 90 weight juice box. I dig Valvoline products anyway.
Mommy, the Capri Sun dad gave me tastes funny . . .

Sponsored

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU

I have the rear MetalCloak diff skid/slider which I know works fine with Motobilt diff covers. :rock:
I got mine for $400 powder coated on Black Friday

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Personally, I have never had the need (knock on wood) to replace an OEM diff cover with a beefier aftermarket one whether it claims to be stronger or can hold more oil or keep it cooler. My opinion seems to be pretty much in line with you. I haven't seen a reason to spend money there.

For my current set up, I am looking for protection with the lightest weight solution.

P&PJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I kept it in house….. went with Dana.. and a Rancho skid, that I color matched……

Jeep Wrangler JL Differential Covers 20210430_114121
Did the Rancho skid plate need trimmed to miss the differential cover fins? I saw a YouTube video where a guy had to trim the skid plate due to interference with the cover fins.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Did the Rancho skid plate need trimmed to miss the differential cover fins? I saw a YouTube video where a guy had to trim the skid plate due to interference with the cover fins.
Yes….. just a small amount on mine. Only the front skid. I just had knock down the weld on the inside, it wasn’t a big deal at all….I actually forgot about it, lol….
Sponsored