Sponsored

Diff Cover Upgrade vs Diff Skids vs both?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
According to Will @ Metal Cloak, it will not be a problem. I reached out to him after reading the OP because I have a MC trackbar and will be installing MC diff covers soon and inquiring minds want to know. :LOL:
Awesome news! If their track bar will clear the ARB cover, it should have no problem with most if not all other covers. It's ARB's dipstick jut-out that adds to it's chunkiness. If they had mirror imaged it's layout, it would clear better and the dipstick/fill would be easier to access.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome news! If their track bar will clear the ARB cover, it should have no problem with most if not all other covers. It's ARB's dipstick jut-out that adds to it's chunkiness. If they had mirror imaged it's layout, it would clear better and the dipstick/fill would be easier to access.
I only asked about a NON-LIFTED Rubicon, Metalcloak trackbar and a Metalcloak differential cover. I am not sure if that means it will also clear an ARB cover. Just wanted to be sure that I was conveying clear information.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I only asked about a NON-LIFTED Rubicon, Metalcloak trackbar and a Metalcloak differential cover. I am not sure if that means it will also clear an ARB cover. Just wanted to be sure that I was conveying clear information.
Oh yeah, we're on the same page.

I'm glad you got some confirmation on fitment. Metalcloaks products and personnel are second to none.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh yeah, we're on the same page.

I'm glad you got some confirmation on fitment. Metalcloaks products and personnel are second to none.
I agree; with rare exception all of the suspension/steering/skid components on my Jeep are Metalcloak. The only thing that I did not use was their steering stabilizer relocation kit, I chose Synergy because it did not require drilling and the clamp mount point was far beefier than the u-bolts on the MC part. Otherwise, their stuff is superior from an engineering and durability stand-point.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I agree; with rare exception all of the suspension/steering/skid components on my Jeep are Metalcloak. The only thing that I did not use was their steering stabilizer relocation kit, I chose Synergy because it did not require drilling and the clamp mount point was far beefier than the u-bolts on the MC part. Otherwise, their stuff is superior from an engineering and durability stand-point.
Was just perusing your vehicle showcase. It looks sweet and great selection of parts and accessories!

Definitely Synergy or SteerSmarts for the stabilizer relocation brackets. I don't know what Metalcloak was thinking with that u-bolt clamp. I'm sure it's fine, but it doesn't look confidence inspiring. Yet they used a beefy double-sheer bracket on the axle end with the pivot bolt oriented vertically. But as you said, everything else they make is very well thought out and executed.

If you end up lifting it, you'll be surprised at how much better the overall ride and handling becomes after weeding out the remaining factory arms and linkages. When done right, lift and larger tires doesn't have to be at the expense of a great ride.

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
To the original post. HD covers are not needed if you install Rancho skids that deflect and cause the differential to ride over a rock. Much of the front diff. cover is behind and above the Tie-Rod and protected from bashing. They totally protect the front drain plug too....
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Upgrade vs Diff Skids vs both? rancho frt. skid

FAD design is the weakest link in the front D44 and a HD cover adds nothing to this issue.

Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Upgrade vs Diff Skids vs both? JL rancho rear diff skid

The rear diff. cover does have more exposure without a tie-rod bar like the front. However the Rancho skid projects out past the cover face and protects to verticle when reversing. The likely hood of backing into an overhanging rock is very unlikely IMO. Issues mostly arise from forward movement an pealing the diff. cover flang. As far as a HD cover strengthening the pumpkin housing. The axle tube to housing is the weak link and a HD cover does nothing for this. Save your HD cover money for other armor.

Last edited:

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
It was posted earlier, but I agree about the Next Venture Motorsports rear dif skid. It along with their dif covers has made for an awesome combo. I've beat that rear skid pretty damn hard - a lot. As long as it's something that's not going to hang me up, I have no concerns bashing it into rocks - forwards and backwards. It fits super snugly to the dif, so tight you almost don't think it's going to fit. It also protects the U-joint a bit (from the marks I've seen on mine, it's saved my U-joint!). And it really doesn't hurt ground clearance that much. After using that, I wouldn't even consider using U-bolts to strap one of those cheesy gold snow shovels to the bottom of my dif.

For the front, I use the Next Venture cover only. I don't need to reduce any clearance if I don't have to. The drain bolt isn't a concern. I unthreaded it a turn and a half or so, then ground it flush, then tightened it back up. It now sits out of harms way. I've since ground the front dif over a lot of rocks - I even filled that cavity with granite debris! But it comes right out without a problem. Front Next Venture cover fits fine with Steer Smarts track bar.

By the way, looking through some pictures in this thread, and guys talking about skid plates and dif covers still have their steering stabilizer in harm's way. That should be a priority to fix, first!

Last edited:

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Iron is exceptionally good at retaining heat. Not a real issue for the front diff because you’re not in 4wd that often, and when you are, you’re typically going slow. The rear diff is ALWAYS working. Even on a couple hour drive on the highway to your favourite trails. The stock stamped steel cover is going to shed heat a lot better than an iron cover, and heat is the enemy to any lubricating fluids.
What temperatures are being generated? Have you measured them?

vdellanno

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So I just purchased the Metal Cloak front diff cover and skid, only to realize after the fact it wont work with a stock 2018 JLU rubicon because it blocks movement of the track bar. I didn't see the small warning box stating this in the website (My Mistake) DUH!

So I'm looking at other diff covers as a solution. I found the ARB which looks like a great diff cover and will provide great protection . I started chatting with the company selling it online and he said the ARB might rub my track bar when in full turn.

My question to anyone here who has installed the ARB with no lift on a 2018-2020 JLU 3.6L Rubicon, have you encountered rubbing between the ARB cover and front track bar?

Thanks for any input!
So I just purchased the Metal Cloak front diff cover and skid, only to realize after the fact it wont work with a stock 2018 JLU rubicon because it blocks movement of the track bar. I didn't see the small warning box stating this in the website (My Mistake) DUH!

So I'm looking at other diff covers as a solution. I found the ARB which looks like a great diff cover and will provide great protection . I started chatting with the company selling it online and he said the ARB might rub my track bar when in full turn.

My question to anyone here who has installed the ARB with no lift on a 2018-2020 JLU 3.6L Rubicon, have you encountered rubbing between the ARB cover and front track bar?

Thanks for any input!
I just installed the MC front diff so I guess I'll see if there will be contact with the track bar at some point. I called MC before I installed it and asked if I would have an issue with track bar / diff cover rubbing on my 2018 JLR and their answer was "no, you won't experience an issue on a stock JL Rubicon".

Their "Important Notes" really aren't clear at all - they mention the "MetalCloak Front Dana M220 Differential Cover" but the Dana M220 is the rear axle, not the front (according to my build sheet anyway); the MC front differential cover is described on the site as "[ M210 | 3rd Gen D44 ] Rubicon Edition" and they go on to describe ... "Compatibility: The MetalCloak JL/JT Differential Cover Plate will ONLY work on the front of JL Wrangler and JT Gladiator applications, Rubicon edition for Dana M210 (3rd Gen D44)". So, I am in the clear right, or not?

Either they have a typo or you will or won't experience an issue ... no clue (or I suppose I could be suffering from Reading Comprehension Deficit Disorder; this hasn't been an issue in the past but I guess there is always a first). At the very least it is completely unclear based on MC response / site description what I've actually installed of theirs on my JLR and whether or not I will experience issues.

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I plan on doing the Next Venture rear diff skid and the Rough Country front diff skid. That combo looks the part and will run me around $350.

if I were doing diff covers I’d go with Dynatrac. Frontand back will run you around $350.

if choosing between the two go with skids.

Sponsored

brewskisteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2001 Ford F350 4x4 crew cab 7.3L diesel
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the MC front diff so I guess I'll see if there will be contact with the track bar at some point. I called MC before I installed it and asked if I would have an issue with track bar / diff cover rubbing on my 2018 JLR and their answer was "no, you won't experience an issue on a stock JL Rubicon".

Their "Important Notes" really aren't clear at all - they mention the "MetalCloak Front Dana M220 Differential Cover" but the Dana M220 is the rear axle, not the front (according to my build sheet anyway); the MC front differential cover is described on the site as "[ M210 | 3rd Gen D44 ] Rubicon Edition" and they go on to describe ... "Compatibility: The MetalCloak JL/JT Differential Cover Plate will ONLY work on the front of JL Wrangler and JT Gladiator applications, Rubicon edition for Dana M210 (3rd Gen D44)". So, I am in the clear right, or not?

Either they have a typo or you will or won't experience an issue ... no clue (or I suppose I could be suffering from Reading Comprehension Deficit Disorder; this hasn't been an issue in the past but I guess there is always a first). At the very least it is completely unclear based on MC response / site description what I've actually installed of theirs on my JLR and whether or not I will experience issues.
I agree the Important Notes are not written well and are confusing. Like I've said numerous times in this forum, Meltalcloak told me it would rub on my 2018 stock JLU. I've returned the part and I'm moving on. I've seen other posts in the past regarding this rubbing issue, but don't remember when or where it was posted. I hope it works out for you and hope you post how it works and if you encounter any issues when wheeling. Good luck!

foxswimmer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '04 Mazda3, '13 Sienna (because kids)
I agree the Important Notes are not written well and are confusing. Like I've said numerous times in this forum, Meltalcloak told me it would rub on my 2018 stock JLU. I've returned the part and I'm moving on. I've seen other posts in the past regarding this rubbing issue, but don't remember when or where it was posted. I hope it works out for you and hope you post how it works and if you encounter any issues when wheeling. Good luck!
Thanks for the info. Another reason this forum is great!

I had an order into Metalcloak for the front diff cover and skid, and had not noticed the warning that it "does not work with the stock front track bar." I just called and the rep confirmed, so I cancelled my order (had not yet shipped).

Back to the research phase now for what to use.

brewskisteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2001 Ford F350 4x4 crew cab 7.3L diesel
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info. Another reason this forum is great!

I had an order into Metalcloak for the front diff cover and skid, and had not noticed the warning that it "does not work with the stock front track bar." I just called and the rep confirmed, so I cancelled my order (had not yet shipped).

Back to the research phase now for what to use.
Glad to be of help. It seems different MC reps are supplying conflicting information on this subject. Some guys have been told it won't conflict with the track bar. Please update this forum if you find and are happy with a different solution. Good Luck :like:

Last edited:

gandk

First Name
Greg and Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
campsite.bio
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Judging by the amount of damage to my diff skids. I’d say if you’re only doing one. Get the skids.
Which skids do you have and does it reduce clearance much?

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
No, not an issue at full flex in either direction. Only hits when the whole axle compresses at once. Same thing happened to TxJeepers. I responded to his post further up on this page. I found it funny that we both decided on switching the track bar instead of the diff cover, and that we also chose the same replacement.

I've got to go with limeade on this one. A Metalcloak front track bar should clear their diff cover and skid just fine.
So, after putting on the MC and doing my best to stuff each side it sure looked too close to call and was about to run the Texas Spur with JJUSA. I ordered and put on the ARB OME track bar and absolutely no clearance issue. I have a MC track bar that was on Jeep for about a week that I am about to sell. LOL.
I think I will be upgrading tie and drag soon and have been looking. I might actually go full circle and do a complete SteerSmarts setup and switch the ARB diff cover to a Dana. LOL.
Just waiting for first week of December sales before I make any decisions.
Sponsored