Sponsored

Diff Cover Upgrade vs Diff Skids vs both?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
So, after putting on the MC and doing my best to stuff each side it sure looked too close to call and was about to run the Texas Spur with JJUSA. I ordered and put on the ARB OME track bar and absolutely no clearance issue. I have a MC track bar that was on Jeep for about a week that I am about to sell. LOL.
I think I will be upgrading tie and drag soon and have been looking. I might actually go full circle and do a complete SteerSmarts setup and switch the ARB diff cover to a Dana. LOL.
Just waiting for first week of December sales before I make any decisions.
:computerrage::piggybank: Well, that certainly sucks a bag of dicks!

I've yet to install the mc track bar. If its too close for comfort, like yours, I'm sticking to the cloaked train and will get their front cover. Then I'll see how long it takes for my ocd to tweak enough to mc the rear cover to match. Hahaha

Thanks for the heads up, Tex!
Sponsored

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
:computerrage::piggybank: Well, that certainly sucks a bag of dicks!

I've yet to install the mc track bar. If its too close for comfort, like yours, I'm sticking to the cloaked train and will get their front cover. Then I'll see how long it takes for my ocd to tweak enough to mc the rear cover to match. Hahaha

Thanks for the heads up, Tex!
I say test it. If you do your own work, it shouldn't be too much to do. I honestly could end up having my shop test for me when I swap out springs in the next few months. I'm also going to talk to them about just pulling out the grinder and making a very small notch on the track bar. Surely that wouldn't reduce strength much. Because at the end of the day, part of the reason I went ARB diff covers is I think they are the sexiest and I'd like to keep them. Here's my rear. LOL.

IMG_8640.jpg

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I say test it. If you do your own work, it shouldn't be too much to do. I honestly could end up having my shop test for me when I swap out springs in the next few months. I'm also going to talk to them about just pulling out the grinder and making a very small notch on the track bar. Surely that wouldn't reduce strength much. Because at the end of the day, part of the reason I went ARB diff covers is I think they are the sexiest and I'd like to keep them. Here's my rear. LOL.

Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Upgrade vs Diff Skids vs both? amazon-if-you-give-a-mouse-a-cookie
Same thoughts here about the ARB covers. That's why I opted to lose the SteerSmarts track bar, which I'm also a big fan of.

Yeah, I'm the only one who touches Baby. If there's any interference, it couldn't be as much as there is with the ss, which isn't really that much. Just enough to want to address. The cast iron is plenty thick enough on the ARB cover. I would sooner trim that than the track bar. Its only that top front corner of the dipstick outcropping that would need it. I'm hoping to find out this Saturday. Been busy and parts are piling up.

Definitely sexy!
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Upgrade vs Diff Skids vs both? 20200618_103712
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Upgrade vs Diff Skids vs both? 20201008_101217

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
One of the most common underbody damages done in Moab has been damage to the Diff cover. when that happens, your basically dead in the water if you crack it open. Replacing the cover requires more work, more cost and breaking the seal. Installing Skid plates are cheaper, easy to install yourself and reduces the impact on the cover itself. I went with skid plates and I am glad i did. I experienced some underbody damage on Top of the World trail in Moab and scuffed my skids. glad they were there. Diff covers look awesome and can make it harder to crack open but you are still gonna experience some damage directly on the Diff and Drain plug.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One of the most common underbody damages done in Moab has been damage to the Diff cover. when that happens, your basically dead in the water if you crack it open. Replacing the cover requires more work, more cost and breaking the seal. Installing Skid plates are cheaper, easy to install yourself and reduces the impact on the cover itself. I went with skid plates and I am glad i did. I experienced some underbody damage on Top of the World trail in Moab and scuffed my skids. glad they were there. Diff covers look awesome and can make it harder to crack open but you are still gonna experience some damage directly on the Diff and Drain plug.
Agreed. I have ARB diff covers and am about to install the Metalcloak rear diff skid. It'll further the protection, and more importantly will be a smoother surface to slide vs the ribbed diff housing.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Agreed. I have ARB diff covers and am about to install the Metalcloak rear diff skid. It'll further the protection, and more importantly will be a smoother surface to slide vs the ribbed diff housing.
Just need to paint it first. I appreciate the zinc coating but not the color.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just need to paint it first. I appreciate the zinc coating but not the color.
I don't mind the arms and linkages, but I'm debating on having the golden diaper powder coated black. I'm about to pull the trigger on the tire carrier and rear bumper from Cavfab, which come bare steel, so I'll be at the coater anyway.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Will you do a front diff skid also?
I am wondering if both differential skids are equally important, or do we tend to wack the rear more?

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Will you do a front diff skid also?
I am wondering if both differential skids are equally important, or do we tend to wack the rear more?
Both axles have arb covers, but the rear axle is ribbed on the bottom. So, the Golden diaper will help avoid getting hung up on those 2 ribs. The front axle housing is thick and smooth bottomed, so I'm thinking to just leave it as is and keep an eye on it. I'd be more concerned with the tie rod that blocks most of the front diff.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Both axles have arb covers, but the rear axle is ribbed on the bottom. So, the Golden diaper will help avoid getting hung up on those 2 ribs. The front axle housing is thick and smooth bottomed, so I'm thinking to just leave it as is and keep an eye on it. I'd be more concerned with the tie rod that blocks most of the front diff.
I orders Metalclaok rear ( its super nice) and Rancho front. I didnt order Metalclaok front brcause they require using thier own new diff cover and I dont feel like messing with that. Doing two days in November and very rocky where we are going.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I orders Metalclaok rear ( its super nice) and Rancho front. I didnt order Metalclaok front brcause they require using thier own new diff cover and I dont feel like messing with that. Doing two days in November and very rocky where we are going.
Yeah, I don't blame you for wanting to avoid that particular rabbits hole. The Metalcloak front cover doesn't play well with a lot of track bars.

Where are you headed to in November? I too am looking to hit the trails very soon. I've just been trying to complete a certain minimum of modifications before my off season begins and I can leave new york. I'm heading to Rausch creek and AAOA in PA.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I just received ranchos front for my sport today. I already have a rash where the exposed oil plug is and dont wanna test my luck again. For the rear, my dana 44 cover should be able to take a few hits till I start trying rougher things. I wanna be careful with adding weight everywhere. The rancho diff skid is very sturdy.

I will probably get a new cover for the rear when I install ARB lockers. Theyre opening the diff so might as well protect my investment.
Sponsored