Did they really do anything ?

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Ah I see. The next time you make a mistake at your menial pointless job, remember that.
You sound like the ideal customer; low expectations and readily accept any mistakes made. I’m sorry but sloppy and careless workmanship is not acceptable. My business hires new employees all the time and they are closely supervised until they are proven competent. A bad oil change can cause a catastrophic chain of events....
Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Maybe Free Jeep Wave Oil Change is:

The service folks walked past your Jeep, waved at you Jeep, and kept the change (i.e., $ from FCA their "work') for servicing your rig. And they did all that for free to you.​

That might be the new new meaning of Free Jeep Wave Oil Change.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
It's a failure of shop management to care or management is encouraging it for cost savings. Seems to be the norm at service departments.

I had a Mercedes service department that let you watch the service being performed while in a café through a huge window. It looked like a NASA clean room in there. Always felt a little inadequate having my C Class get fussed over like that next to Maybachs.

Sponsored

Bubalooie

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ram longhorn 3500 2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Pipeline Inspector
yes, the young man with no skills and a family at home deserves to lose his job because he skipped a step in a maintenance procedure. It was malice, you say, a scam, but you have no idea.
Is this your relative. How do you know? People that make excuses for slip shod losers like the one that pretended to do the oil change are just as much of a problem.

OP
OP
Granite Willys

Granite Willys

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Retired
OK Here is the update. I went back to the dealer on Monday after work and found that Dealer I went to is a split dealer ( one store is Chrysler jeep and one is Chevrolet ) They are about a Half mile apart. Jeep store says we have no service manager you need to go to the Chevy place down the block. Apparently that service manager covers both stores. SO.. I explained my concerns to the service manager and he was very helpful and genuinely concerned. He explained to me that the Jeep store runs a Fast Lane type oil change on the weekends and normal Jeep service is handled at the Chevrolet service department where he is based. He took my Jeep right in to check it out. He came out to me a few minutes later and advised me he had a tech looking at the Jeep and he stated I was correct they did not change the filter or the oil. Even though both stated they were replaced on the original repair order. He also stated to me that he will find out what happened and why. He then had the tech change the oil and install a new Mopar oil filter and I was invited into the service area to watch this being done. I was also given a service package at no charge by the service manager for the future ( oil changes rotations etc) as an apology. The tech also checked the wheels and torque on the lug nuts in my presence and at least that was done correctly the first time. I understand mistakes happen and I was prepared for battle when I went back to the dealer. I will say they took my concerns seriously, treated me like a gentleman and made it right. So in the end I'm ok with it. Will I go back for the freebies, Maybe If I'm allowed to watch the Tech preform the work again.

Sponsored

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
OK Here is the update. I went back to the dealer on Monday after work and found that Dealer I went to is a split dealer ( one store is Chrysler jeep and one is Chevrolet ) They are about a Half mile apart. Jeep store says we have no service manager you need to go to the Chevy place down the block. Apparently that service manager covers both stores. SO.. I explained my concerns to the service manager and he was very helpful and genuinely concerned. He explained to me that the Jeep store runs a Fast Lane type oil change on the weekends and normal Jeep service is handled at the Chevrolet service department where he is based. He took my Jeep right in to check it out. He came out to me a few minutes later and advised me he had a tech looking at the Jeep and he stated I was correct they did not change the filter or the oil. Even though both stated they were replaced on the original repair order. He also stated to me that he will find out what happened and why. He then had the tech change the oil and install a new Mopar oil filter and I was invited into the service area to watch this being done. I was also given a service package at no charge by the service manager for the future ( oil changes rotations etc) as an apology. The tech also checked the wheels and torque on the lug nuts in my presence and at least that was done correctly the first time. I understand mistakes happen and I was prepared for battle when I went back to the dealer. I will say they took my concerns seriously, treated me like a gentleman and made it right. So in the end I'm ok with it. Will I go back for the freebies, Maybe If I'm allowed to watch the Tech preform the work again.
They made it right - and that's what counts. I'm very happy to hear all of this.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Admitting to being at fault goes a long way.

I had a independent shop once forget to bold an axle back on after replacing a clutch and flywheel. I was driving along the next day, heard some sounds which sounded like dropping metal and saw parts falling off in my rearview mirror. I pulled over, picked up a bolt that had fallen off and then looked under the car. I could see all the remaining axle bolts where more than an inch or two out from even making contact!

The tried to blame it on the bolts.

Another time, when I was a teenager, I went in to a shop for an oil change, the next day I came back for additional work, at which point the mechanic (different one) freaked out because there was no oil in the car. "You're supposed to put oil in there, what's going on", etc. etc.

They were kind enough to not charge me for adding oil on that visit.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
Also it doesn't seem like you went in huffing and puffing causing a scene. You described your very valid concerns and they listened to you and fixed the problem. But yeah after a situation like that I wouldnt trust them to do it unless I could watch them at least.

Thanks for the update.

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Mark your tires with chalk (FL FR RL RR SP) next time you are forced to go in for a tire rotation so you can see it on the spot if they done it correctly or not.

Also I would always bring a torque wrench in the Jeep and retorque all the nuts on the spot before driving off. Many incidents here where not checking led to major regrets after.
100% agree with chalking the wheels before rotation. Especially if you are doing a Jeep 5 tire rotation (which I recommend). Very easy for them to mess this up. They rotated mine wrong even though I left a detailed diagram on the front seat. Had to go back and actually watch them to make sure it was done correctly. And this was at a reputable dedicated tire store.
Sponsored