First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Retired
Ok so I went to my local Dealer, not where I purchased my jeep, for my first oil change and tire rotation at 4999 miles. all seemed ok they were fast about a half hour to 45 minutes and I was out the door. I was busy with errands yesterday and did not check anything until this morning. I go to the garage and check the oil it looks clean but slightly overfull about a half inch on the dipstick. I crawl under to check the oil filter and make sure there are no leaks, that's when I notice the oil filter says FACTORY INSTALLED ! on it and is not even clean. filter is covered with road dirt just like the underside of the Jeep. I'm Pissed and i'm thinking they never changed the filter at all. Just did a drain and fill with an unknown oil. Now I have to go back and fight with them. Lucky I have photo proof cant wait to see what they have for an explanation. I'm not even sure they rotated the tires now. At @JeepCares Care to comment ???
Jeep Wrangler JL Did they really do anything ? oil filter
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Ok so I went to my local Dealer, not where I purchased my jeep, for my first oil change and tire rotation at 4999 miles. all seemed ok they were fast about a half hour to 45 minutes and I was out the door. I was busy with errands yesterday and did not check anything until this morning. I go to the garage and check the oil it looks clean but slightly overfull about a half inch on the dipstick. I crawl under to check the oil filter and make sure there are no leaks, that's when I notice the oil filter says FACTORY INSTALLED ! on it and is not even clean. filter is covered with road dirt just like the underside of the Jeep. I'm Pissed and i'm thinking they never changed the filter at all. Just did a drain and fill with an unknown oil. Now I have to go back and fight with them. Lucky I have photo proof cant wait to see what they have for an explanation. I'm not even sure they rotated the tires now. At @JeepCares Care to comment ???
oil filter.jpg
I’ve said it many times here and I’ll say it again.

People may say that I have trust issues.
But this is the exact reason why I do my own tire rotations, change my own oil, and make my own sandwich.

Stick by these 3 rules and I promise you will lead a safe and healthy life. Physically and mentally speaking.

OP
OP
Granite Willys

Granite Willys

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Retired
I’ve said it many times here and I’ll say it again.

People may say that I trust issues.
But this is the exact reason why I do my own tire rotations, change my own oil, and make my own sandwich.

Stick by these 3 rules and I promise you will lead a safe and healthy life.

Yup I know I should have done it my self but I figured less hassle to get rid of used oil and filters etc. But im sure gonna raise some hell at that dealer tomorrow when i get off work !

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Yup I know I should have done it my self but I figured less hassle to get rid of used oil and filters etc. But im sure gonna raise some hell at that dealer tomorrow when i get off work !
Mark your tires with chalk (FL FR RL RR SP) next time you are forced to go in for a tire rotation so you can see it on the spot if they done it correctly or not.

Also I would always bring a torque wrench in the Jeep and retorque all the nuts on the spot before driving off. Many incidents here where not checking led to major regrets after.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Jeep's low reliability rating probably have more to do with the work the dealer does than the actual build quality. FCA/Stellantis dealer service departments are among the worse.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Mark your tires with chalk (FL FR RL RR SP) next time you are forced to go in for a tire rotation so you can see it on the spot if they done it correctly or not.
its much less effort for them to wipe off your markings and write new ones than it is to actually do the tire rotation lol.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
oil filter.jpg
What engine is this? On the 3.6 thats not where the oil filter is located.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I always change oil myself. When I do, I write the miles and date on the filter with a silver sharpie (when it's a canister filter). Anyway, do the same to yours even if a shop changes it.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
its much less effort for them to wipe off your markings and write new ones than it is to actually do the tire rotation lol.
I know, but if they wipe it off, it means they didn’t do it properly. I would also tell them not to wipe it off.

I can usually notice my handwriting.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I know, but if they wipe it off, it means they didn’t do it properly. I would also tell them not to wipe it off.

I can usually notice my handwriting.
i was joking of course but that would be out of this world if they were to go so far as to do something like that! :CWL:

these clowns leaving the filter on to save time or $5 reminds me of those undercover news stings on the quick lube places that would do the same thing.

this is why i cringe when i have to take my vehicle to the dealer for any kind of warranty work. heck, ford finally sent someone to my house to swap out my mustangs airbag after i ignored them forever lol. guy said he just travels all over the place doing at home airbag installations. usually on higher end cars like gt500s and ford GTs. a company that was hired by Ford specifically for that purpose.