Sponsored

Tube Doors - do they really increase safety

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
The theory of tube doors sounds good but in a true side impact do they offer much protection or will they just fold in on the occupant when hit?

Has anyone had an experience on or off road where they saved an injury or such?

Looking for first hand experiences or data.
Sponsored

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
While off-road they keep your legs inside the vehicle. That may not sound like something you would do if you have never been in the situation (sticking your leg outside of a moving vehicle), but I can say I have honestly seen it at least half a dozen times in 12 years of wheeling and a couple of those times the drivers got minor injuries.
It’s only a natural reaction when you are tipping towards your side of the Jeep and there’s a rock or embankment that your leg can reach: “oh I don’t want my $40,000 Jeep flipping, let me me stick my leg out there to keep us right side up.”
So there’s that.

We typically wheel without doors on and now that we have a 4 door and kids in the back, the back doors stay on. I haven’t been able to find a company selling just rear tube doors as I would be interested in just running the rears: both to keep the kids inside the rig and to give them a mental crutch that there is something between them and the rocks/road.

I wouldn’t put a ton of emphasis on the safety of tube doors related to vehicle impacts on the road, but hey, some DOM tubing between you and anything is better than open air. The perception of increased safety is probably greater than the physical protection they provide. Also, some are built to a much higher standard than others. I would trust, thicker wall/large-diameter American DOM tubing before the cheap Chinese options on Amazon. Pretty easy to see the difference in quality.

Sponsored

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Could a tube door break in an impact and impale the occupant with the remaining sharp ends?

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
While off-road they keep your legs inside the vehicle. That may not sound like something you would do if you have never been in the situation (sticking your leg outside of a moving vehicle), but I can say I have honestly seen it at least half a dozen times in 12 years of wheeling and a couple of those times the drivers got minor injuries.
It’s only a natural reaction when you are tipping towards your side of the Jeep and there’s a rock or embankment that your leg can reach: “oh I don’t want my $40,000 Jeep flipping, let me me stick my leg out there to keep us right side up.”
So there’s that.

We typically wheel without doors on and now that we have a 4 door and kids in the back, the back doors stay on. I haven’t been able to find a company selling just rear tube doors as I would be interested in just running the rears: both to keep the kids inside the rig and to give them a mental crutch that there is something between them and the rocks/road.

I wouldn’t put a ton of emphasis on the safety of tube doors related to vehicle impacts on the road, but hey, some DOM tubing between you and anything is better than open air. The perception of increased safety is probably greater than the physical protection they provide. Also, some are built to a much higher standard than others. I would trust, thicker wall/large-diameter American DOM tubing before the cheap Chinese options on Amazon. Pretty easy to see the difference in quality.
That is a very thoughtful and persuasive summation, I say. Thanks for it, Sir.

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
6DFFF223-9ED6-4293-A34B-84A5E0F2C1F7.jpeg
Could a tube door break in an impact and impale the occupant with the remaining sharp ends?
Sure...and a jet engine could fall of a plane and smash you in your jeep. Anything is possible.

I got the inexpensive tube doors from EAS off amazon for a few reasons: looks cool, keeps legs in jeep, keeps large items in jeep, keeps kids in jeep and it looks cool (yes mentioned twice because it does look cool)

I went with the Chinese doors because living in MN I can use them like 3 days a year so didn’t want to invest a lot. If I lived in CA maybe I’d have gotten OEM. Honestly though I’m very happy with my Chinese doors. They get me 10% off at the local buffet.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
So there’s that.

Rugged Ridge bought thru Quadratech sells rears separate.

They are pretty stout too. I almost wonder if they are more protection than the flimsy OEM doors.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
So there’s that.

It's pretty easy to see the difference.
received_291975625029244.jpeg
do you have them. They are seriously some heavy doors.

Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
If you have ever slid upside down on the a freeway you understand the importance of anything between you and the road and keeping stuff in and not out.

its nice to have a little something, and a good spot to mount mirrors

Stretcher

Sure...and a jet engine could fall of a plane and smash you in your jeep. Anything is possible.

I got the inexpensive tube doors from EAS off amazon for a few reasons: looks cool, keeps legs in jeep, keeps large items in jeep, keeps kids in jeep and it looks cool (yes mentioned twice because it does look cool)

I went with the Chinese doors because living in MN I can use them like 3 days a year so didn’t want to invest a lot. If I lived in CA maybe I’d have gotten OEM. Honestly though I’m very happy with my Chinese doors. They get me 10% off at the local buffet.
I love the look of your jeep man! I feel it's missing some netting though; could use more on windshield area and upper doors.

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
I love the look of your jeep man! I feel it's missing some netting though; could use more on windshield area and upper doors.
Thanks brah. It does seem to attract a lot of spiders though. Not sure why??? Seriously though My kids are wild and it helps to keep my dates from escaping. Peter Parker asked me for my autograph. True story.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Considering all vehicles made after September 17' are coming with laminated glass for the side windows (increased safety) there's no doubt that tube doors are going to increase safety even if only by a fraction of a degree.

Patinito

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB "Saharacon"
Occupation
SysAdmin
Vehicle Showcase

Where did you get that rear cargo net. Looks great.
Sponsored