BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

Thanks for the oil filter caution. Here's mine: CHECK the coolant reservoir cap.

The story: after the free Jeep Wave oil change, at home I noticed coolant was maybe an inch low. Service manager said, "bring in right back, we'll top it off".
I thought, "great, no wait". Done and out in 5 min.
BUT... on the next drive a couple days later we were a couple miles up the "Old Ridge Route" when WOOSH! Steam and gurgling. Pop the hood--no cap!!

In the end, no permanent damage. Except cost in time, tow, coolant, cap....
Sponsored

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Ok so I went to my local Dealer, not where I purchased my jeep, for my first oil change and tire rotation at 4999 miles. all seemed ok they were fast about a half hour to 45 minutes and I was out the door. I was busy with errands yesterday and did not check anything until this morning. I go to the garage and check the oil it looks clean but slightly overfull about a half inch on the dipstick. I crawl under to check the oil filter and make sure there are no leaks, that's when I notice the oil filter says FACTORY INSTALLED ! on it and is not even clean. filter is covered with road dirt just like the underside of the Jeep. I'm Pissed and i'm thinking they never changed the filter at all. Just did a drain and fill with an unknown oil. Now I have to go back and fight with them. Lucky I have photo proof cant wait to see what they have for an explanation. I'm not even sure they rotated the tires now. At @JeepCares Care to comment ???
oil filter.jpg

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Ok so I went to my local Dealer, not where I purchased my jeep, for my first oil change and tire rotation at 4999 miles. all seemed ok they were fast about a half hour to 45 minutes and I was out the door. I was busy with errands yesterday and did not check anything until this morning. I go to the garage and check the oil it looks clean but slightly overfull about a half inch on the dipstick. I crawl under to check the oil filter and make sure there are no leaks, that's when I notice the oil filter says FACTORY INSTALLED ! on it and is not even clean. filter is covered with road dirt just like the underside of the Jeep. I'm Pissed and i'm thinking they never changed the filter at all. Just did a drain and fill with an unknown oil. Now I have to go back and fight with them. Lucky I have photo proof cant wait to see what they have for an explanation. I'm not even sure they rotated the tires now. At @JeepCares Care to comment ???
oil filter.jpg
Unfortunately this is not uncommon at dealerships. I do my own oil and filter changes as most members do. The thought of a free oil change is tempting, but at what cost is free not free. I had the same problem with oil changes at Toyota. I became suspicious when they did the first oil change, next oil change I mark the filter. Yes your right it wasn't ever changed. I pointed it out to the service manager, who had the technician do it over again. Did the service manager know about this practice before hand. No proof, but I would guess probably. Draining the oil without changing the filter is a cost saver. On my Toyota Tacoma, it's pretty involved.

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L
Yup I know I should have done it my self but I figured less hassle to get rid of used oil and filters etc. But im sure gonna raise some hell at that dealer tomorrow when i get off work !
Looking forward to the rest of the story...

Sponsored

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Now I have to go back and fight with them.
Lol - you high?

I'd call and state you want your money back and why - then leave it. Maybe you get your money back, probably not - never return - 1 strike rule with mechanics - never deal with idiots expecting anything other than more problems.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I too live in a city and don't have access to a garage. I roll my Jeep up on ramps (though they are not needed they make the job easier) and lay down on a worn down gravel driveway with dirt and grass in-between. Or just go to an autozone parking lot and roll under there on a more flat surface.
I’m not sure about your city but we don’t have driveways or even autozones with parking lots where I am. I wouldn’t have a place to store ramps or even a creeper where it wouldn’t be in the way. Nor any place to keep a drain pan or a place to get rid of the used oil easily. Triple checking the dealer’s work is actually less effort for me.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Unfortunately this is not uncommon at dealerships. I do my own oil and filter changes as most members do. The thought of a free oil change is tempting, but at what cost is free not free. I had the same problem with oil changes at Toyota. I became suspicious when they did the first oil change, next oil change I mark the filter. Yes your right it wasn't ever changed. I pointed it out to the service manager, who had the technician do it over again. Did the service manager know about this practice before hand. No proof, but I would guess probably. Draining the oil without changing the filter is a cost saver. On my Toyota Tacoma, it's pretty involved.
They probably get kick-back from every filter “saved”. Also probably halves their labor vs book time so they can trim some fat there as well.

It’s a lucrative business.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I’ve said it many times here and I’ll say it again.

People may say that I have trust issues.
But this is the exact reason why I do my own tire rotations, change my own oil, and make my own sandwich.

Stick by these 3 rules and I promise you will lead a safe and healthy life. Physically and mentally speaking.
America!, no wait, Canada!

I do too.

I think we need a specific forum for just getting the reach-around at dealer service. It would be helpful to those like @JeepCares so they could easily find and manage these cases. It also provides a casual reader like me a chance to avoid these posts for more meaningful content.

Sponsored

Comandore3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubikon 2door
I’ve said it many times here and I’ll say it again.

People may say that I have trust issues.
But this is the exact reason why I do my own tire rotations, change my own oil, and make my own sandwich.

Stick by these 3 rules and I promise you will lead a safe and healthy life. Physically and mentally speaking.
I am the same way !

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Don't just report this to the service tech, they are all buddies and it will stay between them. Try to get to the owner, branch manager or what ever. Who ever did this needs to lose their job....
yes, the young man with no skills and a family at home deserves to lose his job because he skipped a step in a maintenance procedure. It was malice, you say, a scam, but you have no idea.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
yes, the young man with no skills and a family at home deserves to lose his job because he skipped a step in a maintenance procedure. It was malice, you say, a scam, but you have no idea.
Yes.. he should at the very least be reprimanded..... I mean how careless can someone be to be doing an oil change and not change the filter..... Someone like that is probably a liability.....

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Yes.. he should at the very least be reprimanded..... I mean how careless can someone be to be doing an oil change and not change the filter..... Someone like that is probably a liability.....
No skills then why does he work there. OK your statement was obviously not well thought out. "No skills" and he's working on my 50k vehicle..... yes send his ass home.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
This has to be the thousandth oil change issue thread I've seen since I've been on the forums.

I keep thinking "maybe my service dept will be different"

Not chancing it, I'll pass on the free oil changes. Saving a few bucks is nice, but my time having to go back and forth if there's an issue is worth more than that.
Sponsored