DEF Usage

SheddMan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Loving my Diesel Rubicon so far but I don’t believe we will get anywhere near the 10k miles per DEF tank that I heard previously. Mine was almost full when purchased and after about 3k miles I’m less than 1/4 of a tank. I prob have more miles on mine than most people but has anyone else noticed their usage of DEF? Not a big deal but just curious if my rate of DEF usage is typical.

5D16EA09-2FFD-4A22-8B0C-F7DC0EB89627.jpeg
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Loving my Diesel Rubicon so far but I don’t believe we will get anywhere near the 10k miles per DEF tank that I heard previously. Mine was almost full when purchased and after about 3k miles I’m less than 1/4 of a tank. I prob have more miles on mine than most people but has anyone else noticed their usage of DEF? Not a big deal but just curious if my rate of DEF usage is typical.

5D16EA09-2FFD-4A22-8B0C-F7DC0EB89627.jpeg
Highway or city stop and go driving?

Eeshasdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Rubicon
I have had my 1500 for nearly 4 years. I took a trip of about 4K miles total and had to add DEF before I finished. Trip was mostly highway miles. I have had years where I did not have to add any DEF putting on 8-10K miles in a year. I am not sure there is a rhyme or reason to how much you will use. I know the DEF tank on the Jeep is smaller than the truck, but it will be interesting to see how usage differs.

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
Truck driver here def freezes during very low outdoor temps. The less def you have the more is prone to crystallizing. I would always have two or three gallons in my truck keeping it warm in the cab just in case. I learn that lession the hard way my truck went in to limp mode and had to drive 15miles at 5mph to the nearest gas station.
Always top it off in my opinion does not hurt
Example of what it looked like inside

Sponsored

CUOFFRD

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Prob about half city and half interstate.
Can you share what kind of mpg you’re achieving and your overall experience so far with the EcoDiesel?

Drveovru

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
My old f250 got about half what the manufacturer stated ... sure it’s like mpg. In a test scenario you might get what’s advertised but in real life no chance

OP
OP
SheddMan

SheddMan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Can you share what kind of mpg you’re achieving and your overall experience so far with the EcoDiesel?
I’ve been averaging around 25 or 26 MPG. If I keep the average MPG display on the screen and I watch how I accelerate then I can get close to 30 or so. I was watching it too much trying to get it higher and higher that I had to change my screen so I didn’t focus on it and just drive normally.

This is my first diesel and my first wrangler. So far I love it. Drives well, plenty of power and acceleration and I think the diesel sound fits the Jeep.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I’ve been averaging around 25 or 26 MPG. If I keep the average MPG display on the screen and I watch how I accelerate then I can get close to 30 or so. I was watching it too much trying to get it higher and higher that I had to change my screen so I didn’t focus on it and just drive normally.

This is my first diesel and my first wrangler. So far I love it. Drives well, plenty of power and acceleration and I think the diesel sound fits the Jeep.
It may improve once you get some miles on it and it loosens up a bit.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
@Buttercup 3.0 is on track for 1350-1700 miles for an entire tank of DEF. If that becomes a typical experience, Jeep is going to have some serious explaining to do and people will be deleting frequently once out of warranty.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@Buttercup 3.0 is on track for 1700 miles for an entire tank of DEF. If that becomes a typical experience, Jeep is going to have some serious explaining to do and people will be deleting frequently once out of warranty.
Yeah that is very disappointing. I hope this is a tune they can do at the dealer or software update. Or we are all going to be carrying extra Def fluid with us everywhere

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
That seems a little excessive. I am not sure what size of a tank they put in these, but my Super Duty has a small one at only 5 gallons, and I can easily go beyond 5K miles. When I daily drove it, it got to the point to where I stopped having them top it off when it went in for service, because it would only take 2.5ish gallons and they would leave the other 2.5 in the truck for me to take home. I ended up giving most of it away since I had at one point 20 gallons of it my garage. Maybe the digital gauge isn't as accurate to what is really in the tank? I know my temp gauge isn't as accurate to the number it reads. The temp can fluctuate 30-40 degrees and the meter stays completely the same..