First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Hi there @StuartR
We are sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your Jeep. Since our team is not technically trained, we are unable to diagnose your concern here. However, if you intend on visiting your dealer to address this concern, our team would be happy to offer our additional assistance. Feel free to send us a private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares
THanks Kathryn. I have refilled my DEF and made sure it is completely full. I will be watching to see how many miles I get on the full tank this time. If I get only 3k I will be addressing it with Service.

-Stuart
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm at about 3,500 miles and my DEF gauge is down to 1/2 now. It started off burning DEF like mad, but it has slowed down.

At this rate, I will easily make it through an entire oil change cycle since I plan to do mine between 5,000 - 7,500 miles. The manual states that you should under no circumstances ever exceed 10,000 miles on the oil, which infers that 7,500ish is probably favorable.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
THanks Kathryn. I have refilled my DEF and made sure it is completely full. I will be watching to see how many miles I get on the full tank this time. If I get only 3k I will be addressing it with Service.

-Stuart
Thanks Stuart, please know that our team is always available for support. In the future, don't hesitate to reach out to us privately.

Kathryn
JeepCares

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks Kathryn!
Iā€™m actually taking my Jeep in for service on Friday, and I intend to bring up this event to see what they say.
No problem, Tim. As stated, do not hesitate to reach out to us privately if you find you do need additional support.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Marbles

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUR - 2020 JLURD ordered
Anyone wanna share stats on DEF usage? My Jeep just notified me yesterday at 3800 miles that I had 500 miles left before the Jeep would not start. Checked my DEF level and it is just below 25%.

This is a far cry from the 10k Jeep claimed the fluid was going to last. Do I have a problem I need to seek service for?
I imagine I was just as thrilled as you when that message popped up :swear:. I hit 3400 miles this week and started seeing the message. When I picked it up from the dealer in March the DEF gauge showed barley over 3/4. I put a box, 2.5 gal, in this morning and the gauge is back up to 3/4. I'm going to top it off like others have suggested and hopefully this is just the dealer/factory not filling the tank completely.

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys XR V6 eTorque
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I'm at about 3,500 miles and my DEF gauge is down to 1/2 now. It started off burning DEF like mad, but it has slowed down.
Is it because you were having more frequent regens initially and less frequent now?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Is it because you were having more frequent regens initially and less frequent now?
I'm not sure. I wish I had a Scan Gauge so I could tell when the try is in regen and when it's not.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I think the torque app might be able to read the same PIDs. I forgot I had that thing. Broke the trans in my dodge the other day and a friend let me borrow his 2015 Duramax. Torque app worked and seemed to be able to see/read everything under the sun. Same goes for the 2020 6.7L F350 I just got. Need to test it out on the Jeep soon.

WVB

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Unlimited 3.0L Diesel HellaYella
Pretty typical usage here. 1500 miles and still showing full. This is my third vehicle with DEF and the other two only had three switches to determine level in the tank. I would imagine this is the same. No idea why they don't put in a conventional sender like the fuel tank? DEF is corrosive and prone to form crystals when exposed to air. Maybe that dictates that they use a minimal contact switch instead of a float?

Andy-jr.

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 White JKU, 2012 Black JK 2018 White Grand Cherokee, 2001 TJ, 2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
Just filled mine up for the first accurate milage test since the dealer doesn't fill it all the way when new. From the dealer I got about 2600 miles on the tank. I filled the tank and the second tank I got 6000 miles out of the full tank. It's not the 10k that Jeep said It would go but I'm ok with 6000 miles.

Sponsored

Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD 06 Corvette. 16 FLTRU
Occupation
Lighthouse Keeper, Retired Electrical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have not measured my DEF usage, but mine is less than the 10k as advertised. I think DEF usage is greater with around town driving..

mtnmerlin

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
I have not measured my DEF usage, but mine is less than the 10k as advertised. I think DEF usage is greater with around town driving..
I am at 2,000 miles of nearly all highway driving and have used over half the DEF tank. That seems very wrong.

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Iā€™m at 10,000 miles, and just filled it up for the 3rd time. Including right after delivery. Last time it had like 20 miles before it would not start, and I put 4.8 gallons in it. The miles till it will not start seems to be less reliable the shorter it gets.

My estimate is about 1 gallon for every 1,000 miles. It has seemed like it uses more DEF with the 38ā€™s than it did with the stock tires... could just be coincidence.

HappyJeeper

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '09 Tundra 5.7 4x4, '21 Prius
Occupation
Soils engineering/geology
Is all DEF the same? Or do we need to go to dealer to get what our Jeep needs?
This is my first diesel......

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Is all DEF the same? Or do we need to go to dealer to get what our Jeep needs?
This is my first diesel......
All the same. If you're buying it by the box, check the date code.

EDIT:
Apparently you also need to check for an API certified label scroll down on the next page to see it.
Sponsored

Last edited: