StuartR

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone wanna share stats on DEF usage? My Jeep just notified me yesterday at 3800 miles that I had 500 miles left before the Jeep would not start. Checked my DEF level and it is just below 25%.

This is a far cry from the 10k Jeep claimed the fluid was going to last. Do I have a problem I need to seek service for?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD 06 Corvette. 16 FLTRU
Occupation
Lighthouse Keeper, Retired Electrical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Mine had a little more than 50% when I picked it up. When it got down about 25% after 2000 miles, I purchased 2.5 gallons. At 2700 miles it does not seem to have changed much. So it does seem that I am using more. I do a lot of around town driving and it does seem I am using more.

OP
OP
StuartR

StuartR

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Diesel
Vehicle Showcase

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Mine hasn't moved much in 900 miles.

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Mine wasn't full at delivery either.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Did you buy it used? It should have been full.....
Are you sure you were full when you bought it? Not the gauge reading full, but did you top it off when you bought it? Why I'm asking is for the fact the DEF gauge is NOT linear. Meaning, it is not accurate at all. This has been a problem with all FCA/Ram vehicles since they started using DEF. My 2015 Ram was off, as soon as it came off of full, around 3/4 or so on the gauge, I could put in 2.5 gal easily. The same result on my 2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel.

Top it off, meaning full to the filler neck, and do it again when the gauge reads 1/2 tank. I'm betting you'll get more than 2.5 gal back in.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
Mine appears to be on track to run out about the time oil life is out. I have 3.000 miles on it, 70% oil life and about 3/4 tank of DEF.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Zero 3.0s left Toledo with full DEF. Only some dealers topped them off at delivery, partially because the gauge will read full or close to full when it is definitely not.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
We topped mine off out of the jug that came with it. Filled it till it ran out the top.

Sponsored

OP
OP
StuartR

StuartR

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
I am not sure if my dealer topped it off but it definitely read full on the gauge

timyork1989

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Diesel
Build Thread
Link
My warning came on today at about 4550 miles. I was on some twisty roads and it told me 450 miles until the engine wouldnā€™t restart, and I pulled up the gage and it was red, under 25%. When I got on the highway, the message cleared and the level went back up lol

Andy-jr.

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 White JKU, 2012 Black JK 2018 White Grand Cherokee, 2001 TJ, 2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
None off the Jeeps come full from the factory, the dealer is the one that tops them off(sometimes). Mine and 90% of the people I've seen on here pick theirs up with the gauge reading 3/4 of a tank of DEF. My first tank that was from the factory I got 2600 miles on it. I'm on my first tank that I've completely filled and I'm currently over 5000 mile with many more miles to go.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Anyone wanna share stats on DEF usage? My Jeep just notified me yesterday at 3800 miles that I had 500 miles left before the Jeep would not start. Checked my DEF level and it is just below 25%.

This is a far cry from the 10k Jeep claimed the fluid was going to last. Do I have a problem I need to seek service for?
Hi there @StuartR
We are sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your Jeep. Since our team is not technically trained, we are unable to diagnose your concern here. However, if you intend on visiting your dealer to address this concern, our team would be happy to offer our additional assistance. Feel free to send us a private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares

My warning came on today at about 4550 miles. I was on some twisty roads and it told me 450 miles until the engine wouldnā€™t restart, and I pulled up the gage and it was red, under 25%. When I got on the highway, the message cleared and the level went back up lol
Hi @timyork1989
Thank you for sharing your experiences here with this concern. If you continue to notice trouble with your vehicle, we recommend having your dealer take a closer look. Please know that our team is always available for additional support during your servicing visit!

Kathryn
JeepCares

timyork1989

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Hi there @StuartR
We are sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your Jeep. Since our team is not technically trained, we are unable to diagnose your concern here. However, if you intend on visiting your dealer to address this concern, our team would be happy to offer our additional assistance. Feel free to send us a private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Hi @timyork1989
Thank you for sharing your experiences here with this concern. If you continue to notice trouble with your vehicle, we recommend having your dealer take a closer look. Please know that our team is always available for additional support during your servicing visit!

Kathryn
JeepCares

Thanks Kathryn!
Iā€™m actually taking my Jeep in for service on Friday, and I intend to bring up this event to see what they say.
Sponsored